PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2009, 01:21 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: SPRINT

nubetube23 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How To Turn Off Screen

I have searched the forum and have not found a solution for my problem.

Here it is:

I would like to be able to turn off the screen while recording video.

Currently, turning off the screen while recording will stop the recording session. I would like to record for hours at a time from a stationary position. So turning off the screen would save enough battery to do so.

Any intelligent suggestions?
Old 05-18-2009, 01:35 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC RhodiumW - Sprint Branded
Carrier: Sprint

volDeus is becoming a PPCGeeks regularvolDeus is becoming a PPCGeeks regularvolDeus is becoming a PPCGeeks regularvolDeus is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via MSN to volDeus Send a message via Skype™ to volDeus
Re: How To Turn Off Screen

There are various apps available that allow the screen to be disabled without the other effects caused by pressing the power button ...

Off the top of my head ...
AE Button Plus
Wisbar Advance 3
Screen Switch

I have not tested any of them during video recording, only music playback, but they could be a solution...

Using a screen locker application with an option to blank the screen without powering down (such as S2U2) might give the results you are looking for also ...
Old 05-18-2009, 02:34 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Mogul -> TP -> EVO

TeamMike is a n00b

hmmm, either someones a trying to catch someone in the act, or someones trying to make a hidden video to show off to his freinds... lol
I too would like to know how to make this possible.
i use s2u2, and im sure there inst a way to blank the screen during a recording (becuase its not considered idle). i also use AE Button plus and im sure you cant assign a button to blank the screen unless you have program that can do it.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:47 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint PCS

psiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuff

Worst case is turn the screen brightness down to 0 manually... You could write a script that will change the reg via a shortcut...
Old 05-18-2009, 06:48 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

volDeus is becoming a PPCGeeks regularvolDeus is becoming a PPCGeeks regularvolDeus is becoming a PPCGeeks regularvolDeus is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamMike View Post
hmmm, either someones a trying to catch someone in the act, or someones trying to make a hidden video to show off to his freinds... lol
I was going to say the same but I just grinned silently XD

Quote:
i use s2u2, and im sure there inst a way to blank the screen during a recording (becuase its not considered idle).
Maybe I am familiar with a newer version than you are but, with the correct settings, S2U2 will blank the screen regardless of activity ... It is governed only by the timer set in S2U2 Settings...

Quote:
i also use AE Button plus and im sure you cant assign a button to blank the screen unless you have program that can do it.
Again, maybe we are using a different version ... My version currently is v2.6.5...
In my version theres is a built-in action named "Switch Display On/Off" and it most definitely does work ... Wether or not it works during video recording is up to the OP to research ...
Old 05-18-2009, 08:07 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

nubetube23 is a n00b

Thank you for the suggestions, but none have worked so far.

The programs that were suggested DID in fact turn off the screen, but it seems that they are referencing the power buttons action to do so.

Therefore, the camera is stopped when the screen is turned off.

I guess that I am looking for a registry edit that will disable this function of the camera software.

Again, thank your all for your efforts so far.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:54 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: moto mpx 220>tmobile mda>6900 nfsfan 6.5>htc touch pro
Carrier: vzw

ruthlessbeatle is keeping up the good workruthlessbeatle is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to ruthlessbeatle

there is a app called black me over at freewarepocketppc.net just look for it. it allows u to turn off the scree while not affecting any apps running. i loved it for when u have the player running
Old 05-19-2009, 10:47 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

nubetube23 is a n00b

I tried the latest version of "BlackMe" and it did black out the screen, but still cancelled the recording session.

On my HTC Touch Pro the top power button can be pushed once and the screen will turn off while other applications are still running. This feature came built-in to the phone in it's stock configuration.

I think the only way to solve my problem is to edit the camera software or use a new video recording software.

Any suggestions???

Last edited by nubetube23; 05-19-2009 at 10:50 AM.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:53 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubetube23 View Post
I tried the latest version of "BlackMe" and it did black out the screen, but still cancelled the recording session.

On my HTC Touch Pro the top power button can be pushed once and the screen will turn off while other applications are still running. This feature came built-in to the phone in it's stock configuration.

I think the only way to solve my problem is to edit the camera software or use a new video recording software.

Any suggestions???
Considering that none of the apps mentioned are working for you even though they are designed to blank the screen without affecting any other important states .. I'm starting to think the camera app is checking the screen state on it's own ... (ie: The OS is not stopping the recording, the camera app is)...
If that is the case then your assumption about modifying the camera software or using a different software is correct...
Old 05-19-2009, 11:07 AM
Jedi Master
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

Darkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Hahah i'm not sure if the TP has the battery life capable of lasting through several hours of video recording.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro