PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2009, 06:39 PM
Timeless
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

TurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to TurboFool Send a message via MSN to TurboFool Send a message via Yahoo to TurboFool
Almost smashed my phone for the first time today

So I spent half the day on the phone with AT&T DSL support for a client of mine. An incredible multi-day ordeal. As I was finally reaching a point where I might have a resolution, my phone started informing me that my battery was dying, and periodically disconnecting my Bluetooth headset along the way, I plugged my phone into the wall to give it current, and also opened the keyboard to hopefully dispel some heat. Alas, his attempts to resolve the issue failed again, and he put me on hold to transfer me to the supervisor. As the supervisor's voice came on the line, my phone beeped, and shut off the phone connection, and then powered down. It was over five minutes of charging before I could power it back on, and by then they had surely given up on trying to call me back, and even then the phone died immediately again.

I just sent HTC a pretty angry email. I love the Touch Pro, and I've convinced several others to buy it, and I'll shout its overall praises from the rooftops. But its horrific battery life combined with its complete inability to charge as quickly as it can discharge has pushed me to my edge.

Is there anything I'm missing here? Anything I'm not doing right, anything maybe in newer shipping units that would resolve these issues? I'm not sure I can afford the liability of knowing that if I have to make a several-hour phone call that not even plugging my phone in can prevent me from killing my battery. Not cool.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:43 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

Giovanny is keeping up the good workGiovanny is keeping up the good workGiovanny is keeping up the good work
Send a message via MSN to Giovanny
Smile Re: Almost smashed my phone for the first time today

Perhaps if you flash your phone to a different ROM you can expect a better battery life. I have the Touch Pro from sprint and my battery last for about 14- 16 hours on frequent use. I'm using the Might ROM REBORN. When I first received my Touch pro I could only use it for a couple of hours and the phone will die probably about 5 or 6.

Giovanny
Old 05-08-2009, 06:46 PM
Timeless
Threadstarter

TurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to TurboFool Send a message via MSN to TurboFool Send a message via Yahoo to TurboFool
Re: Almost smashed my phone for the first time today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giovanny View Post
Perhaps if you flash your phone to a different ROM you can expect a better battery life. I have the Touch Pro from sprint and my battery last for about 14- 16 hours on frequent use. I'm using the Might ROM REBORN.
I'm on MightyROM5. I get drastically better battery life than ever before. Still not good enough. Not sure how you manage to get 14-16 hours, but I would be in shock if I got close to that. That said, I use my phone a lot, and I have four email accounts constantly syncing.

Still, at this moment, it's not even the battery life that's the point. I spent several hours on the phone today, so I may have maxed out my talk time. For once I'll say that's on me. But it's completely unacceptable that when I then plug my phone in to keep it charging while I'm on the phone it can't even draw enough power to cancel out the usage. What happened to phones and other devices merely charging more slowly when in use? I've never before had a device that can't charge AT ALL while in use.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:51 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2
Carrier: Verizon

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFool View Post
Not sure how you manage to get 14-16 hours, but I would be in shock if I got close to that. .
Same here, I run Mighty 4.16 which is certainly better than stock but nowhere close to that.........

~John
Old 05-08-2009, 06:55 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch PRO baby
Carrier: ATT

xgm541 is becoming a great contributor

i dont know why you are complaining to htc about the phone. they will not do anything. besides, talking through bluetooth while the phone was low on battery wasnt the best idea to begin with.

i also get 14-16 hrs battery life using RRE rom (att fuze). i have two email accounts sync every two hours and google calendar as well every two hours.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:57 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: touch pro, diamond

cndm101 is keeping up the good workcndm101 is keeping up the good work

that is why i have 6 batteries in my pack at all times...
Old 05-08-2009, 07:05 PM
Timeless
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgm541 View Post
i dont know why you are complaining to htc about the phone. they will not do anything. besides, talking through bluetooth while the phone was low on battery wasnt the best idea to begin with.
Try providing IT support with heavy keyboard usage with a hot phone cradled between your ear and your should for three hours and then tell me I shouldn't be using Bluetooth. And, again, is it reasonable for talking on the phone with Bluetooth to draw more power than the phone can get from the wall? I don't see how in any world that's the case.

As for why I'm complaining to HTC about it, why shouldn't I? Am I supposed to just say, "oh well, sucks for me"?

Quote:
i also get 14-16 hrs battery life using RRE rom (att fuze). i have two email accounts sync every two hours and google calendar as well every two hours.
Well, your usage and mine are very, very different. I have an Exchange account on push syncing my email, contacts, calendar, and tasks, and I have three IMAP accounts, two of which sync every 15 minutes, the third every 30 minutes. Our usage can't be compared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cndm101 View Post
that is why i have 6 batteries in my pack at all times...
Yeah, no way I can afford to do that. Meanwhile, even if I did have six batteries, I was mid-phone call. Batteries can't be hot-swapped while on a call. The phone can't even operate from the wall without a battery in it. So a thousand fully-charged batteries couldn't have helped. Only thing that could have helped me then was if the phone would draw enough power from the wall to continue my phone call, like anybody should be able to expect from a phone.

Last edited by TurboFool; 05-08-2009 at 07:07 PM.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:11 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Verizon

entwined82 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularentwined82 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularentwined82 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I do love my touch pro and its obvious you do too but maybe it isnt the right phone for you given that usage unless you invest in a Mugen 3000 mah battery.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:16 PM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Pro 1&2, Evo, PhotonQ

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

nuebattery. Highly recommeded. fast usb charge, and can disable low battery flight mode. with that it will keep bt & phone on unil the battery is fully dead, not turn it off @ 10%, because what's the point of having 10% battery if you can't talk. ;p

it seems to me that the last 10% last as long as the top 30%

also have you tried nueDynamic clock? it's still got some kinks, but you can always just use it to manually turn down the clock when you know your going to be stuck on the phone awhile. less clock speed, uses less power, and keeps the temps down so charging can continue.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:19 PM
Timeless
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwined82 View Post
I do love my touch pro and its obvious you do too but maybe it isnt the right phone for you given that usage unless you invest in a Mugen 3000 mah battery.
Okay, but again, my primary complaint here is NOT the battery life. Battery life is bad, yes, but today's issue had nothing to do with that. I was on the phone most of the time, so internet usage was nil since it doesn't work while on a call. My complaint is that when this phone is plugged into the wall, it essentially does nothing to slow down the process of the battery being drained. Unlike any other phone I've ever used, leaving this phone plugged in while talking does NOT draw from the wall and simply recharge the phone more slowly. It pretty much just ignores the wall current altogether.

But I really have no other options. I can't afford to buy a different phone and don't qualify for a new discount until November, and there are no other phones that will provide me the functionality I need. So I'm stuck with a phone with a very, very serious design flaw.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro