PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2009, 06:58 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Rhodium W (Sprint Touch Pro 2 CDMA)
Carrier: Sprint - SERO

mstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
QuickGPS and WM 6.5 ROMs - is there a point?

I have tried about a half-dozen ROMs based on WM 6.5. All of them seem to include QuickGPS. However, I can never get QuickGPS to do anything at all in those ROMs - I tap it and get the white selection cloud around it, but that's all. It just sits there forever and nothing seems to happen. Certainly there's no appearance that anything launches as a result. I've never had any trouble getting QuickGPS to function as expected in WM 6.1 ROMs.

Am I doing something wrong here (i.e., is there something that should be done differently when running QuickGPS under different OS versions) or is there something wrong with QuickGPS. If QuickGPS simply doesn't function under WM 6.5 then why do ROM cooks leave it in?
Old 05-03-2009, 07:08 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

banzaiwolfe is halfway to VIP status based on repbanzaiwolfe is halfway to VIP status based on repbanzaiwolfe is halfway to VIP status based on repbanzaiwolfe is halfway to VIP status based on repbanzaiwolfe is halfway to VIP status based on repbanzaiwolfe is halfway to VIP status based on repbanzaiwolfe is halfway to VIP status based on repbanzaiwolfe is halfway to VIP status based on repbanzaiwolfe is halfway to VIP status based on repbanzaiwolfe is halfway to VIP status based on repbanzaiwolfe is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to banzaiwolfe
Re: QuickGPS and WM 6.5 ROMs - is there a point?

I am running Mighty Rom 5 and QuickGPS is working as expected for me, so it does work in 6.5.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:14 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

Compusmurf knows their stuffCompusmurf knows their stuffCompusmurf knows their stuffCompusmurf knows their stuffCompusmurf knows their stuffCompusmurf knows their stuff
Send a message via ICQ to Compusmurf Send a message via AIM to Compusmurf Send a message via MSN to Compusmurf Send a message via Yahoo to Compusmurf

I'll second Banzai. 6.5 on mine and quickgps runs for me as well.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:30 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro (VZW)
Carrier: Verizon

Asphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAsphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAsphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAsphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAsphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Two (ok 3) things that may help....

1 - QuickGPS requires a data connection...make sure your data is configured properly. Most require EPST or *228 (verizon) reprogramming to work.

2 - QuickGPS will not work unless your location is set to on as it can not connect to the internal GPS.

3 - Not all 6.5 Roms are created equally. Some cooks add GPS fixes to their roms while others do not. MightyMike does, My guess is Juicy does as well. I'm sure many do and you might just have picked the roms from cooks who have not added these fixes.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:01 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Rhodium W (Sprint Touch Pro 2 CDMA)
Carrier: Sprint - SERO
Threadstarter

mstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Weird - MightyROM and Juicy were among the ones I tested on which it does not work for me. I did have location on, but I don't have any cellular signal at my house at all. On 6.1 ROMs I can update QuickGPS over WiFi or "ActiveSync" (actually WMDC), though. Perhaps this is not possible in 6.5?
Old 05-19-2009, 09:20 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: XV6800
Carrier: VZW

scarface68 is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstevens View Post
I have tried about a half-dozen ROMs based on WM 6.5. All of them seem to include QuickGPS. However, I can never get QuickGPS to do anything at all in those ROMs - I tap it and get the white selection cloud around it, but that's all. It just sits there forever and nothing seems to happen. Certainly there's no appearance that anything launches as a result. I've never had any trouble getting QuickGPS to function as expected in WM 6.1 ROMs.

Am I doing something wrong here (i.e., is there something that should be done differently when running QuickGPS under different OS versions) or is there something wrong with QuickGPS. If QuickGPS simply doesn't function under WM 6.5 then why do ROM cooks leave it in?
Try a soft reset - I have a similar issue with Quick GPS on a Titan with 6.5. It will load once and will download / update the data file. If I close Quick GPS and try to open it again before a soft reset the "white cloud" will show when the Quick GPS icon is pressed but quick GPS will not launch - after a soft reset it will launch again... seems to be a one shot and done behavior for me, you may be seeing the same thing...

(Titan/6800 w/Force Win Mobile 6.5 22501)
Old 05-19-2009, 09:44 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: XV6800
Carrier: VZW

scarface68 is just getting started

Played around with this more tonight - do you have the "Autodownload when connected to Activesync" selected? I had this selected, I unchecked this option and I could quit / restart QuickGPS numerous times both before and after an activesync session. With the option checked Quick GPS would launch before the active sync session multiple times but as soon as I connected with ActiveSync I could no longer launch Quick GPS a second time... YMMV...
Old 08-04-2009, 11:39 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Raphael 800
Carrier: Sextel

RavenTBK is keeping up the good workRavenTBK is keeping up the good workRavenTBK is keeping up the good work

I figured I'd go on ahead and kick this back to the top. I managed to find a QuickGPS thats slated for the Omnia that works and updates properly. However the display is messed up... (screen resolution differences?)...but its good enough to click the "download" button, and to get into settings and check the "auto update" box.

http://rapidshare.com/files/256713862/QGPS_i900.zip

Hope this helps someone. Even though its not "pretty", it is functional in 6.5. Which is better than downloading the ephemeris file and moving it manually each week.

Cheers!
Old 04-21-2010, 11:09 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: EVO 4G

djqwikcut is keeping up the good workdjqwikcut is keeping up the good work

I'm running mightyrom (2/1) and while QUICK GPS works fine, it DOES NOT automatically UPDATE.. it just SAYS EXPIRED after 7 days and I have to remember to manually start the program and update it. is there a way to resolve this (yes I have to automatic option checked). it doesnt even notify me that the data is expired like it did on the stock 6.1 rom (sprint tp2)
Old 05-24-2010, 12:48 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

tygger is a n00b

I'm having the same problem. All the auto update boxes are checked, but after 7 days, it doesn't auto update. I have to manually update it.

Anyone know how to fix this?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro