PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2009, 05:42 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint

the3rd is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Help Roaming

I have a Sprint Touch Pro and a Diamond on Verizon and have an issue. They work fine except I have unlimited roaming on the account however when I try roaming only mode or go outside Verizon's network it drops and won't connect to any network but Verizon's. I'm using MightyRom on both with the newest Verizon Modified PRL to get rid of the roaming triangle and the Telus 1.04 radio. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 04-30-2009, 05:53 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Alltel Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

AceXMachine knows their stuffAceXMachine knows their stuffAceXMachine knows their stuffAceXMachine knows their stuffAceXMachine knows their stuffAceXMachine knows their stuff
Re: Help Roaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by the3rd View Post
I have a Sprint Touch Pro and a Diamond on Verizon and have an issue. They work fine except I have unlimited roaming on the account however when I try roaming only mode or go outside Verizon's network it drops and won't connect to any network but Verizon's. I'm using MightyRom on both with the newest Verizon Modified PRL to get rid of the roaming triangle and the Telus 1.04 radio. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Why on earth would you want to do this (and this better be good)? And since you absolutely "have" to have the modded PRL to get rid of a stupid triangle, what makes you think anything is going to fix that considering the modded PRL is setup so that the Sprint ERI won't report you as roaming with a VZW PRL on VZWs network?
Old 04-30-2009, 07:11 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

? Because in a lot of places Verizon's network isn't as strong as Sprint's around here and would be great to roam on. Why wouldn't I want to be able to roam on Sprint or other Cdma networks while having Verizon Service paid by work with Sprint phones not crippled by Verizon? Only reason I use modified PRL is because I figured the triangle being on all the time is bad because I figure it reports as always roaming which, on Sprint at least, even with unlimited roaming they still only have so much they wish for you to use. So to be able to roam your suggestion is to pop on a Sprint PRL?
Old 04-30-2009, 08:53 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

AceXMachine knows their stuffAceXMachine knows their stuffAceXMachine knows their stuffAceXMachine knows their stuffAceXMachine knows their stuffAceXMachine knows their stuff

Quote:
? Because in a lot of places Verizon's network isn't as strong as Sprint's around here and would be great to roam on. Why wouldn't I want to be able to roam on Sprint or other Cdma networks while having Verizon Service paid by work with Sprint phones not crippled by Verizon? Only reason I use modified PRL is because I figured the triangle being on all the time is bad because I figure it reports as always roaming which, on Sprint at least, even with unlimited roaming they still only have so much they wish for you to use. So to be able to roam your suggestion is to pop on a Sprint PRL?
What you ask for is not only unreasonable, but likely impossible. I stop short of saying it is impossible because I am not 100% sure, but I'll explain why it will be difficult at the very least. First off, the most annoying assumption people have is that the ERI "reports" you are roaming to your carrier. The carrier allready knows what network you are on at any given time, the ERI is for your benefit, not the carrier's. The ERI tells YOU what you are doing. Because you have a Sprint device, Sprint ERI, using a VZW PRL, you phone is using the PRL to connect to the VZW network that the PRL gives priority to. That same network in the ERI is listed as roaming. All a modded PRL does is change the flags/indicators/whatever so that the ERI thinks that what is infact a VZW network/SID/Cell/etc is a Sprint one so it will no longer register as roaming. It is simply a matter of convenience so that you do not see a roaming indicator....you were never actually roaming. In addition, it is important to know the difference between roaming and "extended network". Sprint is an extended network for VZW to use and listed seperately from a "roaming" network (anyone can feel free to correct me if I am wrong on this point). The VZW PRL gives priority to VZW cells/SIDs, just the same as a Sprint PRL does for its own cells/etc. The VZW PRL will never choose an extended network over its own even if set to "Roam only" since you are technically not roaming on Sprints network as far as the PRL is concerned, you are in "extended network". The modded PRL makes this even more difficult since it basically switches everything around to make Sprint look like VZW and vice versa. In this case, I do not believe you can have your cake, and eat it to.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:35 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Well I know I can update the phone with a Verizon ERI, if I do that would that set it to allow the use of the extended network?
Old 04-30-2009, 11:59 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Well I know I can update the phone with a Verizon ERI, if I do that would that set it to allow the use of the extended network?

While that should work, and I know it does work with the Alltel Touch Pro (i'm using an Alltel Touch Pro on VZW myself with a VZW ERI), for some reason it does not seem to work on the Sprint Touch Pro. I don't have the Sprint version to test it out myself, this is simply what I have heard from Sprint Touch Pro owners. Even then though, I don't think you can "force" the phone to use extended network. I'll try it on my Touch Pro and see if it works. Where exactly are you going to set your phone to "roam only" and I will try it in my area and report back.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:06 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Well the roam only was just a test to see if I could get anything outside of Verizon's network as the phone seemed to be dropping calls a lot more than the old flip phone I had. I know there can also be a modified pri installed however, if I remember correctly doesn't that take away the gps capability? Would the simplest answer be to simply grab the latest Verizon PRL and put it on the phone with a Verizon PRI and simply not expect gps, on the Diamond at least, since apparently this only works for the Touch Pro

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=49933
Old 05-01-2009, 08:14 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Well the roam only was just a test to see if I could get anything outside of Verizon's network as the phone seemed to be dropping calls a lot more than the old flip phone I had. I know there can also be a modified pri installed however, if I remember correctly doesn't that take away the gps capability? Would the simplest answer be to simply grab the latest Verizon PRL and put it on the phone with a Verizon PRI and simply not expect gps, on the Diamond at least, since apparently this only works for the Touch Pro

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=49933
I am using a VZW PRL and ERI in my Alltel Touch Pro and have GPS. From what I understand, the ERI is different on Sprint devices (hidden?).
Old 05-01-2009, 01:17 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Yeah did some research and ERI is hidden however, I can use a Verizon PRI on the phones and then do the *228 option 2 and update the PRL. Only problem is on the Diamond apparently that will cause GPS to not work and I see the fix for the touch pro but do you know of any for the Diamond to get GPS to work?
Old 05-01-2009, 03:09 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Yeah did some research and ERI is hidden however, I can use a Verizon PRI on the phones and then do the *228 option 2 and update the PRL. Only problem is on the Diamond apparently that will cause GPS to not work and I see the fix for the touch pro but do you know of any for the Diamond to get GPS to work?
I have no interest in the Diamond and was not even aware of a GPS issue with that device. Phone modding is not my hobby. I simply have "inside information" from the network side of things and do it for my own personal devices.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro