PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2009, 05:25 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Rhodium W (Sprint Touch Pro 2 CDMA)
Carrier: Sprint - SERO

mstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Annoying app I can't uninstall. Help?

I've got a trial version of Astraware Solitaire that's shown up on my TP. It closely resembles Astraware Board Games downloaded from Microsoft Total Access. Oddly, it's installed in \Windows\Astraware rather than \Program Files\Astraware. It does not appear in the Remove Programs list.

I don't recall installing it, and I can't find a .cab file from which it was installed (and I'm obsessive about keeping and organizing cabs). I'd thought if I tried reinstalling it would first uninstall and that would kill it, but I don't seem to be able to do that without the original cab. I did grab the current trial version from the Astraware site, but get the "previous version cannot be removed" error message.

This annoyed me so much I deleted the directory then searched through the registry and removed anything I could find that seemed to pertain to Astraware Solitaire. However, when I ran the trial cab I'd downloaded, it still said there was a previous version installed and that it couldn't be removed. I restored a recent backup in case I'd screwed anything up.

I know this seems like a minor issue, but it's driving me up the wall.

Does anyone have any notion where this came from? How about ideas on really, truly removing it?
Old 04-24-2009, 06:30 PM
Mobileunderground.info
Pocket PC: HD2
Carrier: T-Mobile

bikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via AIM to bikeandestroyx Send a message via MSN to bikeandestroyx
Re: Annoying app I can't uninstall. Help?

use file explorer and open up the windows folder its in the root directory.
the find the astraware folder should be near the top, delete this and it will be gone
Old 04-24-2009, 06:43 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

mstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibmxx187 View Post
use file explorer and open up the windows folder its in the root directory.
the find the astraware folder should be near the top, delete this and it will be gone
Thanks for responding. I'm sure you actually did read my post and realized this and were just pointing out that this is the expedient way of getting the majority of the app off the device.

However, as my post said, I did do this and it did not actually uninstall the application. It removed it, but did not uninstall.

What I'm really interested in accomplishing is doing a true uninstallation, including removing registry traces and any other tracks left by the software.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:50 PM
Mobileunderground.info
Pocket PC: HD2
Carrier: T-Mobile

bikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via AIM to bikeandestroyx Send a message via MSN to bikeandestroyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstevens View Post
Thanks for responding. I'm sure you actually did read my post and realized this and were just pointing out that this is the expedient way of getting the majority of the app off the device.

However, as my post said, I did do this and it did not actually uninstall the application. It removed it, but did not uninstall.

What I'm really interested in accomplishing is doing a true uninstallation, including removing registry traces and any other tracks left by the software.
oh man im sorry its been a long day haha
well you should try out sktools theres a free trial and it will uninstall programs for you!
Old 04-24-2009, 07:01 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

sheureka is just getting started
Unhappy Re: Annoying app I can't uninstall. Help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstevens View Post
I've got a trial version of Astraware Solitaire that's shown up on my TP. It closely resembles Astraware Board Games downloaded from Microsoft Total Access. Oddly, it's installed in \Windows\Astraware rather than \Program Files\Astraware. It does not appear in the Remove Programs list.

I don't recall installing it, and I can't find a .cab file from which it was installed (and I'm obsessive about keeping and organizing cabs). I'd thought if I tried reinstalling it would first uninstall and that would kill it, but I don't seem to be able to do that without the original cab. I did grab the current trial version from the Astraware site, but get the "previous version cannot be removed" error message.
I saw the same program on my phone yesterday - and I know I never installed it and can't figure out how to get rid of it. Neither MemMaid or SKTools show it in the list of installed programs. For now I'm just leaving it on my phone. It told me I had to register to continue to play, but that doesn't seem to be true. It's very, very weird. - sheureka
Old 04-24-2009, 07:19 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G

jasonsf is keeping up the good workjasonsf is keeping up the good work

The program comes in the ROM so I'm assuming you can't remove it.

Jason
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:05 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonsf View Post
The program comes in the ROM so I'm assuming you can't remove it.
It probably also goes a long way towards explaining why I don't remember installing it!
Old 04-24-2009, 11:17 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: ToUcH PrO(free from sprint)

datboybrian is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to datboybrian Send a message via MSN to datboybrian

have u try to reinstall it sum time it will uninstall it

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro