PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2009, 09:20 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

richjolliff is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Magnet cases and micro sd cards

I have had two 8gb microsd cards go corrupt on me over the past month with my Pro. I keep my phone in an htc leather case that uses magnets to keep closed. Could this be the culprit?
Old 04-23-2009, 09:24 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2
Carrier: Verizon

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community
Re: Magnet cases and micro sd cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by richjolliff View Post
I have had two 8gb microsd cards go corrupt on me over the past month with my Pro. I keep my phone in an htc leather case that uses magnets to keep closed. Could this be the culprit?
I just had a 16 gig sandisk card go bad & I'm NOT using a magnet case so I doubt that's the problem.

I did use a magnet case at one time & before I used PocketShield, everytime I would open the magnetic flap it woul cause the phone to answer an incoming call before I got it out of the case causing me to accidentally hang up on calls occasionally.......It was annoying, but basically harmless & PocketShield running would have prevented the problem......

~John
Old 04-23-2009, 09:29 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: droid
Carrier: vzw

bigwally is becoming a great contributor

Flash memory is not affected by magnets unless they are very powerful magnets. Not something like you would find in a protective case. I keep my phone in an aftermarket case with magnetic closure and have never had a problem.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:43 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Metro PCS

YouMayLose knows their stuffYouMayLose knows their stuffYouMayLose knows their stuffYouMayLose knows their stuffYouMayLose knows their stuffYouMayLose knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to YouMayLose

Yeah not to mention the stylus stays in threw a weak magnet so I'd really doubt the magnets on your case would have any thing to do with corrupting the card... most likely its caused by corrupted info you installed into it.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:49 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

Compusmurf knows their stuffCompusmurf knows their stuffCompusmurf knows their stuffCompusmurf knows their stuffCompusmurf knows their stuffCompusmurf knows their stuff
Send a message via ICQ to Compusmurf Send a message via AIM to Compusmurf Send a message via MSN to Compusmurf Send a message via Yahoo to Compusmurf

What brand cards are you using? I used to use Sandisk, but their quality control went thru the crapper.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:11 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Epic 4G

gorillaguzzler is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargorillaguzzler is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargorillaguzzler is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I have always used magnetic cases and I have also never had a card go bad. What bad luck to have 2 go bad on you.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:20 PM
Jedi Master
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

Darkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Flash Cards are typically not susceptible to magnetic interference. Usually cards go bad because they are of low quality and the bits start to degrade and not become readable/editable anymore.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:21 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Threadstarter

richjolliff is a n00b
Talking Re: Magnet cases and micro sd cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compusmurf View Post
What brand cards are you using? I used to use Sandisk, but their quality control went thru the crapper.
Interesting. I am using a Sandisk as well. I thought it was one of the better ones. Appreciate all the advice. Gratefully I was able to format the micro on my computer with the panasonic formatter. Reloaded everything and it is back in my pro. Pray it holds. Technology can be so time consuming. It is the best of time, and the worst of times all in one device.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:29 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2
Carrier: Verizon

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by richjolliff View Post
Interesting. I am using a Sandisk as well. I thought it was one of the better ones. Appreciate all the advice. Gratefully I was able to format the micro on my computer with the panasonic formatter. Reloaded everything and it is back in my pro. Pray it holds. Technology can be so time consuming. It is the best of time, and the worst of times all in one device.
My Sandisk 16 gig card has cr@pped out on me three times now (I just replaced it)

The first time, it did it when I left it in while doing a ROM flash (that had never been a problem before). It came up completely blank after the flash & then became totally inaccessible. I formatted it in my LT & copied all the info back to it & it seemed to be fine. It worked fine for a month or so & then completely blanked itself out again (no ROM flash this time).

I formatted it once again & once again it worked fine.. Last Friday, it once again wiped itself out & at that point I replaced it. I had thought maybe there was a problem with my phone, but it works perfectly with an 8 gig card in it that is a good bit older than the 16 gig card.

~John
Old 04-23-2009, 01:32 PM
Jedi Master
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

Darkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorton10 View Post
My Sandisk 16 gig card has cr@pped out on me three times now (I just replaced it)

The first time, it did it when I left it in while doing a ROM flash (that had never been a problem before). It came up completely blank after the flash & then became totally inaccessible. I formatted it in my LT & copied all the info back to it & it seemed to be fine. It worked fine for a month or so & then completely blanked itself out again (no ROM flash this time).

I formatted it once again & once again it worked fine.. Last Friday, it once again wiped itself out & at that point I replaced it. I had thought maybe there was a problem with my phone, but it works perfectly with an 8 gig card in it that is a good bit older than the 16 gig card.

~John
I've come to only trust Sandisk cards as I've had a couple off-brand flash cards corrupt on me and lose vital data. It's disturbing to hear that the quality of Sandisk cards are also going down.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro