PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2009, 11:02 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

amart565 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I have a question about TP Scrolling...

With the specifications being superior to that of the iPhone, why the heck can't my (IMO) Vastly superior phone do something as simple as scrolling down a website or contact list nearly as smoothly as an iPhone? I've never seen this question asked or answered... Is the display and cpu power not superior to the apple product?
Old 04-18-2009, 01:12 AM
Lurker

circuit breaker is a n00b
Re: I have a question about TP Scrolling...

HTC devices that use the Qualcomm MSM 7201(a?) are known to be massive underperformers in the video department. It's nothing new. What's funny is the Android G1, running the same hardware, and a Linux OS gets some decent video performance. not sure of the #s though..
Old 04-18-2009, 02:04 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

kaede132 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkaede132 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkaede132 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkaede132 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

i thought it was because the iphone is using the superior(?) PowerVR MBX gpu for optimized video acceleration. imo, that's the only thing about the iphone that's better than the TP. apple can't sell an "inferior" product without having it look more superior than the competition
Old 04-18-2009, 02:20 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

Ranger093 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRanger093 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRanger093 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRanger093 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

It's because HTC makes some really ****ty Video AND cpu drivers for windows mobile.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:20 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2
Carrier: Verizon

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

it is annoying how much better the iphone/touch are for inet browsing.

I have a second gen touch & I use it connected with WMwifirouter for browsing. The big beautiful super responsive screen & safari browser totally blows away the TP (I don't care what browser you're using)

Not only that, the touch screen is fine/visible out in the bright sun where the TP is virtually unuseable.........

~John
Old 04-18-2009, 10:42 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

amart565 is a n00b

I guess I just dont get it, even the G1 looks great when scrolling, and thats also quallcomm...
Old 04-18-2009, 10:58 AM
Chewy tha Monkey Hunta
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 3D & (Girl's) HTC Inspire "4G"

jbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amart565 View Post
I guess I just dont get it, even the G1 looks great when scrolling, and thats also quallcomm...
well, it's like what a couple of people already mentioned. even though its the same hardware the G1 manages to do it better probably because it has better graphics drivers and thats just operating system dependent. i would imagine (assume) the google took some time to put some decent drivers in android whereas microsoft has left it up to manufacturers in that department and for some reason htc just hasn't really bothered, yet (hopefully)
Old 04-18-2009, 11:34 AM
Retired Moderator
Pocket PC: NULL
Carrier: NULL

[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level

Qualcomm has a patent issue with HTC over their video drivers.

So HTC is too cheap to pay Qualcomm in order to improve our graphics performance.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:02 PM
Chewy tha Monkey Hunta
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 3D & (Girl's) HTC Inspire "4G"

jbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saumaun View Post
Qualcomm has a patent issue with HTC over their video drivers.

So HTC is too cheap to pay Qualcomm in order to improve our graphics performance.
wow, didnt see that info coming, makes sense though
i wonder if they dont wanna pay up because theyre talking to nvidia
Old 04-18-2009, 12:05 PM
Retired Moderator
Pocket PC: NULL
Carrier: NULL

[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbearamus View Post
wow, didnt see that info coming, makes sense though
i wonder if they dont wanna pay up because theyre talking to nvidia
Wishful thinking.
The MSM chipset is manufactured by Qualcomm. Nvidia has no 'jurisdiction'

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro