PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2009, 03:24 AM
i don't miss blackberry
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S3
Carrier: Sprint PCS

ou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
question about sprite backup and restoring after flashing custom rom...

i've never tried to restore after flashing a rom. say that i try out a rom and don't like it, and i reflash the stock rom and restore a backup i made, will all the files that i've changed restore as well? specifically, files such as manilla mods, and things that i've added to the windows dir that resco warned about being rom files before it overwrote them.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:43 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC TOUCH PRO
Carrier: SPRINT

wILLk0r3 818 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwILLk0r3 818 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwILLk0r3 818 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwILLk0r3 818 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to wILLk0r3 818 Send a message via Yahoo to wILLk0r3 818
Re: question about sprite backup and restoring after flashing custom rom...

I was at first questioning Sprite Backup's ability cuz I was sketchy about wanting to try it; although I read through and through and found that it was nearly PERFECT as well as the best backup software. So I gave it a try and it surely does work PERFECT!!!
* ROM and Radio combinations change regularly *

http://www.speedtest.net/result/562969487.png

Old 04-12-2009, 03:47 AM
i don't miss blackberry
Threadstarter

ou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuff

i've been using sprite backup for a long time now, but i've never attempted to reflash to an old rom and restore a backup made from it. i don't know what files it doesn't back up.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:54 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC TOUCH PRO
Carrier: SPRINT

wILLk0r3 818 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwILLk0r3 818 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwILLk0r3 818 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwILLk0r3 818 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to wILLk0r3 818 Send a message via Yahoo to wILLk0r3 818

That's what I've been doing lately. I have zero problems once restored. I have my perfect setup on Mighty but I flash around all day, save backups and restore them to work on them later. I've never had any issues. To answer your question, yes, manilla and everything comes through perfect.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:24 AM
i don't miss blackberry
Threadstarter

sweet thats all i wanted to know. i usually just stick to one rom, but i'm looking for something different but i don't know what yet.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:06 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2
Carrier: Verizon

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

I'll just add my praise for Sprite also.

Although SPB Backup worked perfectly for me in my old Titan/Mogul setups, it most definitely DID NOT in my three TouchPro's (restores from SPB failed probably 40% of the time)

Sprite restores on the other hand are perfect 100% of the time......

~John
Old 04-12-2009, 12:48 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint

Compusmurf knows their stuffCompusmurf knows their stuffCompusmurf knows their stuffCompusmurf knows their stuffCompusmurf knows their stuffCompusmurf knows their stuff
Send a message via ICQ to Compusmurf Send a message via AIM to Compusmurf Send a message via MSN to Compusmurf Send a message via Yahoo to Compusmurf

I use sprite as well. Excellent app.

Things I've noted.

1. Sometimes when it restores connection to Exhange server, it screws up.
2. Don't install a completely different rom, then do a restore and expect things to actually work.
3. Occasionally, but rarely, some of my bluetooth connections don't work after a restore. Not consistent enough to find the cause or file a bug report. Quick repairing fixes it tho.

Where most folks screw up is #2. Install a new rom then restore their backup. that gives you a combination of the 2 roms and folks run into issues then complain because stuff doesn't work.
Old 04-12-2009, 05:55 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2
Carrier: Verizon

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

2. Don't install a completely different rom, then do a restore and expect things to actually work.

I have had great luck doing exactly this. I ALWAYS use merge level one when doing this & everything works just fine.

Now don't get me wrong, I absolutely agree that rebuilding the system from scratch with a new ROM is the preferred option, but it can work just fine restoring also.

My currrent system is running Mighty 4.16. When I first flashed it, just for testing purposes I restored a HUGE BU file made on a physically different TouchPro running a completely different ROM. I used merge level one & left ALL the boxes checked & much to my surprise 99% of the restore worked perfectly. The people tab in TF3D did not restore correctly, but basically everything else did (SlingMobile/five email accounts/SMS-Chat/Sirius WM5/weather panel in 2nd today/Opera Mini/half a dozen GPS apps/WMwifirouter/Inesoft Phone 4 etc etc etc etc)

~John
Old 04-12-2009, 06:03 PM
i don't miss blackberry
Threadstarter

yeah, i wouldn't bother trying to restore a backup from a different rom, but i was more curious about if i wanted to go back to 6.1, and i reflashed with the stock sprint rom, and then restored a backup i made. i'm using copper 6.5 right now, and its pretty awesome. i'm waiting on pimbackup to do its thing, which is taking forever because of all the text messages i have stored, but i'm pretty sure i'm going to stick with this and just reinstall. i love that with sprite you can go through the backup file with the explorer and take out what you want and extract it to the phone.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro