PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2009, 03:18 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint

gorelow is keeping up the good workgorelow is keeping up the good workgorelow is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
sd card vs hard drive

is there any advantage to having a program on your harddrive? obviously the storage and losing the program with a hard reset favors the sd card. so is there any reason not to put everything on there?
Old 04-08-2009, 03:22 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC TOUCH PRO
Carrier: SPRINT

wILLk0r3 818 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwILLk0r3 818 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwILLk0r3 818 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwILLk0r3 818 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to wILLk0r3 818 Send a message via Yahoo to wILLk0r3 818
Re: sd card vs hard drive

I think it's best to install anything/everything you can to the internal storage, most especially programs that involve constant system access or programs that involve registry tweaks or system settings etc. You can usually get an idea where to install by what you're installing. If installed to a memory card, I would still erase the folder and re-install with a hard reset to avoid any complications when you least expect it. I personally store everything on the internal storage since we have alot of space, and even though I've got ALOT of stuff installed, I still have alot of free space and my device hasn't slowed down at all.
* ROM and Radio combinations change regularly *

http://www.speedtest.net/result/562969487.png

Old 04-08-2009, 03:38 PM
Jedi Master
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

Darkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I install everything to internal storage. Even if you hard reset and had a program installed onto your storage card, you'd still have to reinstall it to make sure the registry entries and shortcuts are properly applied. Phones nowadays have plenty of space in their internal memory, making installing to storage pretty useless.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:42 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D

gimme5 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargimme5 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargimme5 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargimme5 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargimme5 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via MSN to gimme5

I install everything I can to the memory card. Whenever I flash a rom, a backup/restore takes much less time this way.

MobileSpeedtest.com (yes, that's my site)
Old 04-08-2009, 03:48 PM
In the state of confusion
Pocket PC: EVO ONE(M7), Galaxy S4

sanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to sanmanc Send a message via MSN to sanmanc Send a message via Yahoo to sanmanc

If you are referring to the internal memory on the PPC device. Most people will install to an SD card rather than to the phone's main memory simply because they they might run out of space on the device. Some apps might also require them be installed to an SD card. What I do is save all my cabs and create backups of my device in case I ever have to hard reset. Then the issue of where or why I installed it to a location doesn't matter.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:08 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: TP2 & EVO

BenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuff

I do the same as Sanmanc.
Old 04-11-2009, 03:26 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: PPC6700->TP->TP2->Evo 4G->Evo 4G LTE

SeventhGen is becoming a great contributor

I was wondering about this too. Yesterday I did a hard reset then installed everything to my sd card, did another hard reset to check what worked running from the sd card without reinstalling. I don't have a ton of apps, but here's what worked if anyone was wondering.

-G-Watch
-ClearTemp
-GoogleMaps
-Live Search
-MusicID
-PersianBlue
-Resco Explorer
-Spb Screenshot
-Total Commander

One thing I suggest if you install to sd card is to backup the shortcuts so you don't have to manually make shortcuts again in case of a hardreset.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-11-2009, 03:31 AM
Google-Search&Rescue Div.
Pocket PC: MoPho CM9/ MotoACTV / GTab 10.1(I/O LE)
Carrier: PPCGeeks/XDA

MoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to MoonZ*BabysH Send a message via Skype™ to MoonZ*BabysH

i usually just put programs that i dont use much but do use on the SD, and Hacks,Mods or things that have constant access to use will get put on my Main memory. once you start messing with ALOT of apps itll come second nature as to what will go where. IMHO
Old 04-11-2009, 09:09 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2
Carrier: Verizon

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

I would advise everybody to BU anything that's really important from your storage card to a LT myself.

I have a 16 gig card with over 9 gigs of stuff on it (ripped DVD movies/cab files/mp3's/programs etc etc etc) I recently flashed to Mighty 4.16 & when I got done flashing, my card was completely blank.

It was not the end of the world as I had 99% of it copied to my LT, but it was still kind of a shock............

~John
Old 04-11-2009, 09:33 AM
VIP n00b
Pocket PC: iPhone
Carrier: AT&T

Rusty Duck is a VIPRusty Duck is a VIPRusty Duck is a VIPRusty Duck is a VIPRusty Duck is a VIPRusty Duck is a VIPRusty Duck is a VIPRusty Duck is a VIPRusty Duck is a VIPRusty Duck is a VIPRusty Duck is a VIP
Send a message via Yahoo to Rusty Duck

I run KK's ROM and it has everything I need - so all programs on internal storage. But I do have all of my music and videos on the SD card.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro