PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2009, 04:22 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: sprint

DeputyStankus is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Weird data connection problem

I've been having a weird data connection problem all day, and I'm hoping someone can help. I'll give a quick narrative:

The first time I used my phone today, I tried to update my feeds in RSS Hub. I kept getting an error message about "not enough storage," even though there was tons of space left. So I opened PocketExpress to try to check some headlines there. There I got a connection error message when I tried to update the headlines. I finally just opened Opera and looked at a few favorite news sites and moved on.

Later I was trying to play some videos on the YouTube app. It would update the lists of most popular, most viewed, etc. videos, but give me a connection error message when I tried to view any of the videos. At this point, I decided to test every app I could think of that uses the data connection.

Opera works fine--can go to any site as normal.
Sprint TV will play channels, but gives an error if I try to update the list of channes.
YouTube updates the lists of videos, but gives an error if I try to watch a video.
RSS Hub says "not enough storage."
PocketExpress says "weak signal or phone is in airplane mode, try again later."
Weather Tab gives an error message when I try to update.
Mail tab lets me send/receive with no problem.

Also, I keep getting a shell32.exe fail message.

I'm running the Sprint stock ROM. I've been on the TP since November, but only had this unit for just over a month. I did a hard reset out of the box, and I made most of the performance reg edits listed in the stickies. I installed a bunch of stuff on the first day, but I haven't really installed much since then, and it's been working great (until now). I did just activate PocketExpress and use RSS Hub for the first time yesterday, though...

I tried this, but it didn't fix the problem (mine was already set to 1 anyway, not 0).

Please help!

Last edited by DeputyStankus; 04-05-2009 at 07:52 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:13 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO3D
Carrier: Sprint 4g Dallas

dallas contractor is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardallas contractor is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardallas contractor is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardallas contractor is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: Weird data connection problem

What custom rom are you on? What edits or hacks have you done?Howe long have you had the phone? Didi you hardreset after you got the phone?
Old 04-05-2009, 05:33 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Droid X
Carrier: Verizon

razorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via Yahoo to razorloves

Also...are you sure you have "tons of space". Did you check the device and the storage card? How much available do you have on each?
Old 04-05-2009, 06:58 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas contractor View Post
What custom rom are you on? What edits or hacks have you done?Howe long have you had the phone? Didi you hardreset after you got the phone?
Sorry, should have put that stuff to begin with (will edit OP).

I'm running the Sprint stock ROM. I've had this unit for just over a month. I did a hard reset out of the box, and I made most of the performance reg edits listed in the stickies. I installed a bunch of stuff on the first day, but I haven't really installed much since then, and it's been working great (until now). I did just activate PocketExpress and use RSS Hub for the first time yesterday, though...

Last edited by DeputyStankus; 04-05-2009 at 07:34 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:59 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorloves View Post
Also...are you sure you have "tons of space". Did you check the device and the storage card? How much available do you have on each?
I have about 176 megs on the phone and 3 gigs on the card.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:27 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO3D
Carrier: Sprint 4g Dallas

dallas contractor is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardallas contractor is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardallas contractor is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardallas contractor is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Did you change radios?
Old 04-05-2009, 08:38 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas contractor View Post
Did you change radios?
No, I never have. Isn't it bizarre that I can connect to the internet through Opera with no problems, but not through the other apps?
Old 04-06-2009, 01:25 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Don't know if this helps, but I get the shell32.exe error message when I try to update the weather. When I close the error message, the weather is updated, so I guess it's connecting...

Also, YouTube app now gives the error message right away. It won't even show a list of videos now.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:33 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Droid X
Carrier: Verizon

razorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via Yahoo to razorloves

just do a hard reset man. it's obvious something pretty serious is screwed up with all those strange problem. click on start-settings-system tab-clear storage. Then after a few minutes your phone will be back to 100%.
CAUTION - Doing a hard reset will reinstall your OS rom and erase all the data on your phone. It will not erase anything on the microsd card.

Last edited by razorloves; 04-06-2009 at 04:42 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:33 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorloves View Post
just do a hard reset man. it's obvious something pretty serious is screwed up with all those strange problem. click on start-settings-system tab-clear storage. Then after a few minutes your phone will be back to 100%.
CAUTION - Doing a hard reset will reinstall your OS rom and erase all the data on your phone. It will not erase anything on the microsd card.
Yeah, I have finally accepted that that's what I'll have to do. I just didn't want to have to re-do all the tweaks and re-install all the software. It takes like two hours to get everything put back how it was. I imagine if no one has posted a solution yet, there must not be one available, though.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro