PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2009, 10:27 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

eddieyee is keeping up the good workeddieyee is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Windows Live Calendar syncing

Hi all,

I have been syncing to a personal exchange server for a long time and use Outlook '07 as my interface and my mobile phone (activesync) to supplement... I'm currently looking for an alternative, as I don't want to maintain my exchange server.

Quite simply, I need contacts and calendar syncd up somewhere, preferably online, and preferably something that works in Outlook...

Since I use hotmail extensively, I thought I would look at the Microsoft offerings. I see that it's possible to sync email and contacts to the phone... but anybody know how to sync the calendar? I see Microsoft's Outlook/Windows Live connector, which is great cause it includes Calendar syncing, but that is for Outlook on the PC only. (For those interested, you can get the connector here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloadS/d...displaylang=en )

Anybody know if calendar to phone syncing will be available anytime soon via windows live? Or any other alternative???

Thanks!

Eddie
Old 03-23-2009, 11:18 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: TP
Carrier: Duh, think about it...

Talon Pro is becoming a PPCGeeks regularTalon Pro is becoming a PPCGeeks regularTalon Pro is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: Windows Live Calendar syncing

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieyee View Post
Hi all,

I have been syncing to a personal exchange server for a long time and use Outlook '07 as my interface and my mobile phone (activesync) to supplement... I'm currently looking for an alternative, as I don't want to maintain my exchange server.

Quite simply, I need contacts and calendar syncd up somewhere, preferably online, and preferably something that works in Outlook...

Since I use hotmail extensively, I thought I would look at the Microsoft offerings. I see that it's possible to sync email and contacts to the phone... but anybody know how to sync the calendar? I see Microsoft's Outlook/Windows Live connector, which is great cause it includes Calendar syncing, but that is for Outlook on the PC only. (For those interested, you can get the connector here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloadS/d...displaylang=en )

Anybody know if calendar to phone syncing will be available anytime soon via windows live? Or any other alternative???

Thanks!

Eddie
Ok bear with me here.. not sure why, if you have your own EX server that you are using Hotmail? Is that for webmail use? Why not use the phone instead for email?

That being said, why not put Outlook 07 to better use and use its calendar? I confirmed today that you can send (forward or directly invite) meeting requests directly to your phone through mail. I happen to have gmail set up on it, so im not sure about other ISP's web based mail.

If youre using Hotmail, im gonna presume that you ARENT using it for contacts and or an email server? If so, what purpose is the EX serving? There are plenty of free email servers that run on Windows and Linux that would serve for email, and use Outlook 07 for handling mail reading, contacts, and calendars.

MS also has a plugin for Outlook 07 that can send SMS messages to your cell phone with the agenda for the next day as well. I used that when i was using my Instinct since i have all my bill due dates in the calendar, and didnt want to miss any payments.

You can also publish your Outlook calendar (public or private) with MS, and it syncs daily with your PC.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:40 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 :)

angel4b is keeping up the good workangel4b is keeping up the good work
Send a message via ICQ to angel4b

Have you checked out this thread? I'm sure one of the programs listed here would solve your problems...

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=57130
Old 03-24-2009, 12:46 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

scoobdude is just getting started

google: sync both contacts and a calender (only 1 cal for now), and it will downsize your contact pictures. other than that its pretty painless to get all you contacts back on the phone and updates in real time. My wife will make changes to the calender from her gmail and my phonegets updated. Also has the option to sens SMS as a reminder

myphone by M$: I think this is more of a backup utility, but it will backup EVERYTHING on your phone. Have not played with it much though. uses your LIVE id to log in. However you can see your pics, txt mesages and other stuff from here as well.

Of the 2 sevices you can only use one for contacts, email,tasks, andcalender. google does not support the other 2 options. M$ does not update all the time like google does.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:58 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 :)

angel4b is keeping up the good workangel4b is keeping up the good work
Send a message via ICQ to angel4b

Maybe a combination of Plaxo and NuevaSync? Plaxo has sync points with hotmail and outlook, and nuevasync will send plaxo contacts and calendar to your phone OTA, and you can use the exchange for the email...
Old 03-24-2009, 01:54 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

My main reason for getting off my own exchange server is so I can just leverage my hotmail account which I've been using for the past 10 years.. In the past I used the exchange server a lot, but after looking at my inbox on the server for the past year I've decided it's not worth keeping for the price it costs to keep it going.

Ideally I get something that simulates everything that I get with exchange-- syncronized email, contacts, and calendar on both a PC and Phone via outlook on the pc, and via my data plan (no need for my pc) syncing on the phone.

That being said, the windows live can do the mail and contacts, but just lacks calendar. The gmail route above looks like a possible way, but I'll have to see how well it syncs calendar/contact data to outlook... not really thrilled about switching emails to gmail either.

Looking at the page sent in a previous post, it looks like oggsync, funambol, and myphone looks like the best bet. I'll read into those more and see which one may work for me.

Thanks for the suggestions, looks like I'll have a few to play with.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:09 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Treo Pro
Carrier: SPRINT

boosted21 is just getting started

There's this program called seven that syncs contacts, emails and calendars and it doesn't use outlook, the only problem is its always on, not battery life friendly. but you can try that and see if you like it. Not sure how I found the app but I'll look for it again and post the download.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:09 AM
Oldguy
Pocket PC: Moto DROID
Carrier: vzw

nuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuff

Hello?! Nobody even suggested mail2web? it's a free exchange based solution for everything you are asking for, and you can foreward your gmail to it and it can forward to gmail too. Certainly worth checking out. It pushes live just like your current exchange box does. The other options are all worth looking at, but I am amazed nobody even suggested it...

Good Luck!
Old 03-24-2009, 06:19 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro2

nico4k is halfway to VIP status based on repnico4k is halfway to VIP status based on repnico4k is halfway to VIP status based on repnico4k is halfway to VIP status based on repnico4k is halfway to VIP status based on repnico4k is halfway to VIP status based on repnico4k is halfway to VIP status based on repnico4k is halfway to VIP status based on repnico4k is halfway to VIP status based on repnico4k is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuguy View Post
Hello?! Nobody even suggested mail2web? it's a free exchange based solution for everything you are asking for, and you can foreward your gmail to it and it can forward to gmail too. Certainly worth checking out. It pushes live just like your current exchange box does. The other options are all worth looking at, but I am amazed nobody even suggested it...

Good Luck!
i personally use microsoft my phone right now since mail2web tends to have a lot of issues, but when it works, it works. using microsoft my phone is a much better alternative in my opinion. and simply configure windows live on the ppc to get your push email. so far has been very reliable for me. and my battery life seems a lot better. plus i also have the option to synce my work exchange email thru active sync on my device. that works out best for me so far.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:57 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

I just signed up on their waiting list for microsoft myphone.. anybody have a promo code so I can start testing this now?

I'll check out the mail2web as well.

thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nico4k View Post
i personally use microsoft my phone right now since mail2web tends to have a lot of issues, but when it works, it works. using microsoft my phone is a much better alternative in my opinion. and simply configure windows live on the ppc to get your push email. so far has been very reliable for me. and my battery life seems a lot better. plus i also have the option to synce my work exchange email thru active sync on my device. that works out best for me so far.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro