PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2009, 12:22 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

fiyah knows their stufffiyah knows their stufffiyah knows their stufffiyah knows their stufffiyah knows their stufffiyah knows their stufffiyah knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Stock Rom vs Custom Rom - Exxagerated?

Hey guys... I am mostly still a lurker on the site, although my recent purchase of the Touch Pro (Sprint) and its less limited RAM has amped up my PPCGeeks usage slightly. As a result, I have never really been a Custom ROM guy (never tried one... will maybe try one if Tpro 2 gets ported right). I recently came across a video here that shows up the snapiness of custom roms. In order to compare I simply reproduced those same efforts on my stock sprint rom with my PPCGeeks tweaks. I was pretty much able to reproduce the same "snapiness" running up to 14 programs at the same time.

So my question is this: HONESTLY. How much of a difference in performance is there between the Custom Roms and a tweaked Sprint stock rom (I heard Verizon sucks). Do people on here exaggerate the difference slightly?

What are the real benefits of the Custom Roms that stock sprint rom users can't enjoy?

Disclaimer: This is not a slight to the custom rom builders at all. I constantly check your threads and am very impressed with the work and effort you guys put into these builds and supporting them. Kudos to you guys!
Old 03-13-2009, 12:26 PM
SuperNoob
Pocket PC: iPhone 5s
Carrier: TMobile

rstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation level
Re: Stock Rom vs Custom Rom - Exxagerated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiyah View Post
What are the real benefits of the Custom Roms that stock sprint rom users can't enjoy?
Why not have a customized stock rom? Check out my rom thread.

RSTG Sprint Stock Custom Rom - Tweaked & Loaded w/uc v1.7.24 Updated

This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:41 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

fiyah knows their stufffiyah knows their stufffiyah knows their stufffiyah knows their stufffiyah knows their stufffiyah knows their stufffiyah knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstoyguy View Post
Why not have a customized stock rom? Check out my rom thread.

RSTG Sprint Stock Custom Rom - Tweaked & Loaded w/uc v1.7.24 Updated
Just took a look at it. Neat stuff. But I am a hard sell as far as unlocking. The only thing I can think of that could truly push me is a Touch Pro 2 Port to make me feel like I have a new phone.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:04 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4g

Lecithin is just getting started

You probably already have if you have been lurking around the site for a bit but I would check out the tweaks in this thread http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=44583 they don't require any unlocking and will help to optimize your phone, while keeping it stock.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:24 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecithin View Post
You probably already have if you have been lurking around the site for a bit but I would check out the tweaks in this thread http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=44583 they don't require any unlocking and will help to optimize your phone, while keeping it stock.
Correct. I have already done many of the tweaks myself. Thanks though. Good looking out!
Old 03-13-2009, 01:29 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

jaytv is becoming a great contributor

All locking/unlocking and flashing is reversible. You have nothing to lose but time.

Try Juicy 5. You'll be blown away by the snappiness.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:30 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 3D

BigDinCA is keeping up the good workBigDinCA is keeping up the good workBigDinCA is keeping up the good work

Wow... this is a loaded question. The truth is the custom ROM is a thing of beauty if it's the right one for you. I built several of my own for the Mogul, and it was soooo much smoother and faster than the stock ROM from Sprint ever was. The biggest plus has always been eliminating the apps that you don't need. That will free up space and resources. I will say that I am still on the stock Sprint ROM on my TP. It's very fast and, using some of the tweaks that are stickied in the Upgrades thread, I have no issues whatsoever. Eventually, though, I will want to build one myself, or load someone else's, that has everything I want already packaged nice and neat, preferably with a bow on it. I am nowhere near the superGeek that I want to be with these phones, but it seems that most of the things you can do wth a custom ROM you can also do by manually installing the various CAB files and registry tweaks. Along with upgrading your radio when one is released, these apps, CAB's and tweaks make our phones the best thing around. One thing you can only get from a custom ROM that you can't get from installing various apps and tweaks yourself are the updated builds of the OS. Updates to the WM OS build, along with updates to WM 6.1, WM 6.5 and eventually WM7 can't be done without loading the ROM.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:31 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro (VZW)
Carrier: Verizon

Asphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAsphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAsphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAsphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAsphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
The only thing I can think of that could truly push me is a Touch Pro 2 Port to make me feel like I have a new phone.
That would appear to be close to reality as XBMod and the NRG team are working feverishly on making a ROM and Manila based on the TouchPro2.

And as far as your original question yes there can be a remarkable difference in performance by flashing a custom rom but you will find yourself flashing quite a few until you find one you like.

My suggestion is go through your device and find the features you really can't live without and try to find a rom with all of them.
Then just find the cabs and install what your missing.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:34 PM
Jedi Master
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

Darkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I've heard such great things about MightMikes ROM that I'm considering switching from my Stock ROM. For the first coupe of months the Stock ROM with the tweaks worked absolutely great. But recently I'm starting experience some random problems here and there like my alarm not ringing at all or it freezing when I take it off the charger. My text messages tab also takes a second or two to load, but that may be because I have over 3,000 texts in the database. If the problems get any worse I'll probably wind up flashing it over a weekend. It's already unlocked since I upgraded the radio to Telus a little while back too.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:52 PM
Jailbroken and rooted
Pocket PC: ET4G/Thrive/iPad (original)
Carrier: Sprint and AT&T

amw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

For the time I had my Mogul, I stayed stock all the way. I was afraid of doing anything more than installing and uninstalling apps. I think I would have stuck with it longer (yeah right!) if I had flashed a custom ROM.

I have flashed a couple of extremely different ones so far and I have been pleased with both. A clean ROM (Y4J 5.0 now WELCOME BACK) gives you so much freedom, I almost didn't know what to do with it all. A L-O-A-D-E-D ROM (KK 1.8...still rocking it and loving it) has so many apps...I don't know what to do with.

Bottom line is preference and usability. One thing for sure is the with custom ROM's you can have actual dialog with the person responsible for the ROM for NO KIDDING TECHNICAL SUPPORT. Dealing with Sprint and their stock ROM, you might get some kid sitting in front of a database regurgitating back to you what HTC/Microsoft recommends as the "fix." Good luck if your "problem" is not a common one...because you'll probably find yourself back here OR XDA for help.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro