PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2009, 05:21 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch PRO
Carrier: Sprint

pronacyk is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to pronacyk
EVDO Performance in EVDO Only Mode

Has anyone else noticed a significant increase in ping & speed when in EVDO only mode compared to Hybrid mode? I notice a lot of signal volatility in Hybrid mode (going from 4 bars to 0/1 then back to 4-5). I'm assuming that it's due to the radio jumping between towers due to similar signal strength from multiple towers? Does switching to EVDO limit the tower-hopping?

Also, in EPST (#777), I have Rev A set to "Enable". Back when I had the Mogul & the Touch, "Disable" was actually the correct setting to enable EVDO Rev A. However, I've tested both settings on the TP and think that "Enable" is the correct setting due to the higher upload speed. Anyone else agree?
Old 02-18-2009, 05:32 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Mogul and Touch Pro

crazychef is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcrazychef is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcrazychef is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via MSN to crazychef Send a message via Skype™ to crazychef
Re: EVDO Performance in EVDO Only Mode

its not gonna make a difference at all.. your gonna have whatever amount of evdo coverage/strength is there.. you cant "boost" the strength of the signal.. its not your signal.. your the reciever.. signal boosting would be done on the broadcasting end, not yours.. as for keeping evdo only on, thats really only good if you want an interuppted session with your data signal(if say u were a wmwifi user) because calls and texts wont come through in evdo, you need 1x available for those to work..

hope that helps
"Lose?..I Dont Lose!.....I Win.....I Win.....Im a Lawyer, Thats My Job and Thats What I Do" -Keanu Reeves "Devils Advocate"
Old 02-18-2009, 05:35 PM
i don't miss blackberry
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S3
Carrier: Sprint PCS

ou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuff

hmmm... but doesn't the tower poll the device in 1x for calls and texts and whatnot? if you completely disable the ability for either to communicate, that could theoretically have an affect on evdo speed, since both can't be connected at the same time (which in reality, they should be able to at this point).

i was thinking though, that maybe just the lack of calls and texts could make one more productive, and could make the evdo connection a much more enjoyable experience.

i'm sure its one of the two
Old 02-18-2009, 05:53 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch PRO
Threadstarter

pronacyk is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to pronacyk

Yes, I do realize that there is no actual signal gain. However, I do feel that there is less tower hopping and signal delay now. LogMeIn runs much smoother in EVDO only mode vs Hybrid. In Hybrid mode, it would occassionally stall in the middle of a data transfer and then reconnect w/ a new IP (which makes me think that I was hopping towers). I don't get any of that now.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:14 PM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Might depend on your location, so just be happy it's better for you. I expect for someone who is already getting strong signal from one tower (vs apparently being between two or more like you, right on the fringe) it would not make much difference, if any. Most people should be in the former category.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:12 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: vouge and titan

robby37 is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by schettj View Post
Might depend on your location, so just be happy it's better for you. I expect for someone who is already getting strong signal from one tower (vs apparently being between two or more like you, right on the fringe) it would not make much difference, if any. Most people should be in the former category.
I think what is happening is in hybrid you are getting updates like sms or ever notice when phone jus sitting their randomly transmits data maybe just saying it still their to tower.In 1x that you aren't in evdo since our phones can't do both at same time so it has to pause your evdo connection and as long as it is quick it doesn't cause a timeout.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:47 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Mogul and Touch Pro

crazychef is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcrazychef is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcrazychef is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via MSN to crazychef Send a message via Skype™ to crazychef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pronacyk View Post
Yes, I do realize that there is no actual signal gain. However, I do feel that there is less tower hopping and signal delay now. LogMeIn runs much smoother in EVDO only mode vs Hybrid. In Hybrid mode, it would occassionally stall in the middle of a data transfer and then reconnect w/ a new IP (which makes me think that I was hopping towers). I don't get any of that now.
well as long as ur happy thats all that matters
Old 02-18-2009, 11:44 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Htc Evo
Carrier: sprint

rudyru01 is becoming a great contributor

is rev b gonna b lots faster

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro