PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2009, 10:45 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul

MRyanF is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Help a noob please, trouble with .cab files

I am a complete noob, I just got a Touch Pro, upgraded from a Palm, so I have no knowledge of win moble.

I found some neat things to do, but I am at a loss for how to do them:

1. Many tweaks say to go into advance config and do..... But how do I get in advanced config? I can't find it as an option or setting.

2. Install cab files. Ok, so if I get the file, how do I use it? I downloaded it to the computer, but how do I install on the phone.

I think this will get me started. I tried to search, but things like "install .cab" bring back tons of results that talk about installing specific cabs, not how to.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:53 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Palm Pre
Carrier: Sprint

johndeere92 is keeping up the good workjohndeere92 is keeping up the good work
Send a message via MSN to johndeere92
Re: Help a noob please, trouble with .cab files

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRyanF View Post
I am a complete noob, I just got a Touch Pro, upgraded from a Palm, so I have no knowledge of win moble.

I found some neat things to do, but I am at a loss for how to do them:

1. Many tweaks say to go into advance config and do..... But how do I get in advanced config? I can't find it as an option or setting.

2. Install cab files. Ok, so if I get the file, how do I use it? I downloaded it to the computer, but how do I install on the phone.

I think this will get me started. I tried to search, but things like "install .cab" bring back tons of results that talk about installing specific cabs, not how to.
1. Advanced Config is a program used for tweaking and edited the phone's registry. Just search the forum for Advanced Config.
2. Cab files are program files (basically a .exe for your phone). You have to transfer these .cab files to your phone either to the device or the storage card. Then on your phone, go to file explorer and go to wherever you copied it to and click it. This will install the app to your phone.

Just read around and you'll figure things out..trust me!

P.S. If I helped you don't forget to click the thanks button!
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:18 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul
Threadstarter

MRyanF is a n00b

Thanks. Does it matter if I install them to the device or to the card?
Old 02-09-2009, 11:25 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

nuzzle is just getting started

I install as much as I can to my card. I think it makes the device run faster when its not bogged down.
thats just my opinion, i dunno if its like "the right" way. But I never had a problem installing stuff to my card as its always in the phone.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:27 PM
Account Disabled
Pocket PC: HTC Shooter/Schubert 32GB
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

Quote:
i usually put most on the device but some will have to done on the card. most cabs will tell you if you have to do one or the other.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:56 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Palm Pre

johndeere92 is keeping up the good workjohndeere92 is keeping up the good work
Send a message via MSN to johndeere92

Quote:
A general rule would be if it's just a normal program (game, browser, etc) you can install it to the card. If it's a registry editing tool or something that affects the actual programming of the device, it should be installed on the device itself.
Hope this helps!
Old 02-10-2009, 01:07 AM
Jedi Master
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

Darkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
I install everything to the device, the TP can handle it anyway, it has like 212mb storage.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:08 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Thunderbolt
Carrier: Verizon

kyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I also install as many programs as I can on the card. I think it makes my phone run faster..Or it could just be in my head lol
Old 02-10-2009, 04:00 PM
Jedi Master
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

Darkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle4269 View Post
I also install as many programs as I can on the card. I think it makes my phone run faster..Or it could just be in my head lol
I would think that installing to storage would make those programs run slower?
Accessing the storage card to open programs I'd imagine is slower than accessing internal memory.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:12 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy Note II
Carrier: Verizon

Geekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via MSN to Geekcop

The only apps that need to be installed to device memory are those that are accessed on startup. There's a momentary lag in accessing the card when your device starts up

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro