PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2009, 07:45 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

signothefish is keeping up the good worksignothefish is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Better battery life with push mail on

Check out this thread over at XDA:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=372291

Some good advice on choosing a push email provider.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:23 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

signothefish is keeping up the good worksignothefish is keeping up the good work

After trying several of the push email options in the XDA thread, Seven appears to be the best all-around solution. It allows "Reply to" to be your own email address, sends emails in HTML format, and sends attachments. It's also very quick, just as quick as using push with Webmail or Live Mail. The only thing left to determine is whether or not Seven is a battery-drain, but so far, the hands-down winner is definitely Seven.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:14 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Fuze
Carrier: AT&T

Hafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Seven was a huge battery drain for me. I hope you have better results than I did.

Having problems finding what you're looking for? Here are some tips on how to search the site more effectively.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:50 AM
VIP & Master of my Domain
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4g

stroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIP

I have been using push for years via Exchange server and my battery life is perfectly fine. Push doesn't drain as fast as frequent pulls. Push mail basically opens a tunnel and doesn't do anything other than that. It just sits there waiting for the server to let it know when mail is there.

I can't really comment on the free services, but I did use 1and1 for a while. It worked fine, but they had no plans on upgrading to Exchange server 2007. I moved to Sherweb and got more space and better service for a little more. Worked so well, I moved my wife's blackberry over to them as well.

EDIT: Here's a good description of push mail via Exchange server

Direct Push is a client initiated HTTP connection to the server where the device opens a connection to the Exchange Server and keeps it alive for a duration known as the heartbeat interval. Basically the client sets up the connection, chooses the appropriate heartbeat interval and tears down and reestablishes the connection if and when necessary. The server sends notifications about new items over this connection and the client synchronizes to get the new items.

http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/20...03/424028.aspx

Last edited by stroths; 02-07-2009 at 12:53 AM.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:55 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Droid Incredible
Carrier: Verizon

slbailey1 is keeping up the good workslbailey1 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroths View Post
I have been using push for years via Exchange server and my battery life is perfectly fine. Push doesn't drain as fast as frequent pulls. Push mail basically opens a tunnel and doesn't do anything other than that. It just sits there waiting for the server to let it know when mail is there.

I can't really comment on the free services, but I did use 1and1 for a while. It worked fine, but they had no plans on upgrading to Exchange server 2007. I moved to Sherweb and got more space and better service for a little more. Worked so well, I moved my wife's blackberry over to them as well.

EDIT: Here's a good description of push mail via Exchange server

Direct Push is a client initiated HTTP connection to the server where the device opens a connection to the Exchange Server and keeps it alive for a duration known as the heartbeat interval. Basically the client sets up the connection, chooses the appropriate heartbeat interval and tears down and reestablishes the connection if and when necessary. The server sends notifications about new items over this connection and the client synchronizes to get the new items.

http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/20...03/424028.aspx
I know nothing about Exchange Server. All I know is that I want all my computers and phone to sync my contacts, calender, tasks, notes, and email to sync automatically when a change occurs on on device; I have Outlook 2007 on all my computers. I'm looking at opening an account with Sherweb. I do not have my own domain name. Can I still use Sherweb?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro