PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2009, 11:38 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Kyocera 7135 < Blackberry 8250 < 6700 < 6800 < 6850
Carrier: Alltel

vestaviajag is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to vestaviajag
Re: Storage card disappears when I hook up to data cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runamok81 View Post
Bump for this Issue!

Re-inserting the card does not work. The card is no longer recognized by any device other than the Kenwood Head Unit.

I have a Kenwood Excelon with a USB port, and have the same issue!

I have been scouring the internet, and have LOTS of people complaining about this issue. The quick fix seems to be reformatting, but if your storing 8GBs of music on your phone, this is not acceptable. Plus, I have to re-install ALL my important info/apps that were on the SD card.

I remember in one odd situation, I re-partitioned and got some data back with a partition editor.

I guess we have an answer with the .menc file.
That's so weird, did I say I had a kenwood head unit? Anyways, if I didn't, I have one.

I have found, that deleting the .menc file through the PC and then "Ejecting" the card fixes it. Haven't had an issue yet. Still can use my apps on the card through the phone, and still see all the contents of the card via the PC and phone.

This is a really weird situation. Are you saying that if I partition the card to keep the music separate from the apps/other files, that will work? I mean, if you pretty much only listen to music on your phone through the head unit, and the kenwood only encrypts the music files because of the partition, wouldn't that work?
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:32 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

Runamok81 is becoming a great contributor

No, you didn't mention that you had a Kenwood Head-unit. Specifically, I'm using the KDC-X590. I called Kenwood tech support today, and the tech escalated the issue for me. Hope they can find an answer.

No, I'm not suggesting partitioning the SD card. However, that is an interesting idea.... I was just stating that I was able to recover data on my SD card by using a partition editor and shifting the partition over. I was also able to recover everything using a data recovery program (even after a reformat!)

Did you say that deleting the .menc file permanently fixes the problem? Or just a quick fix? I like to run tomtom navigator and the map data is on my storage card, so when the Kenwood locks it down, it makes tomtom useless.

I'm going to test afew things to see what causes the .menc file and subsequent lockdown to the Kenwood.

1. Stopping all SD card access before removing the phone by changing the source on the head unit from USB to something else before disconnecting the phone. Or even getting the .menc file to appear and then seeing if this method will remove it.

2. Switching the phone from Disk Drive to ActiveSync mode before disconnecting.

3. Finding a Windows Mobile PPC program that will force mount the SD card and delete the .menc file. Might play with this SD card program.

Last edited by Runamok81; 02-26-2009 at 02:36 AM.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:38 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Im in class right now and will post what specific Kenwood I'm using in a few. Yes, i think partitioning the SD card (one side for music, rest for the other stuff like garmin, tom tom, etc.) is an idea that may work. I'll try that later today.

Deleting the .menc file through the PC is just a quick fix, although to save you some time, switching from usb to activesync BEFORE turning off your car, in my exp., has kept it from encryption. I was going to say it worked this morning, but i wasn't paying attn and turned my car off, so now my card is "missing". I hate this, good call on calling Kenwood, a step i'm too lazy to do.
Old 02-28-2009, 04:41 PM
Lurker

I learned that the Kenwood can read a dual partition on an SD card. And deleting the .men encryption file is a quick fix. However the encryption method alters the file names, and leaves the filenames in their altered abbreviated state if you delete the .men file to revive the card. Plus, you need PC access to revive the card.

Isn't there some way we can use the HTC Touch Pro in a Kenwood Head Unit without it locking the card down with it's encryption method?

Anyone have any ideas? Software suggestions, etc?
Old 03-01-2009, 11:49 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

I agree, there must be a way, or some registry hack that keeps this from happening. Deleting the .menc file is a quick fix, but like you said, you have to do it through a PC.

I do have a question, what do you mean, it only deletes that file, and keeps the other files in abbreviated format? It doesn't alter anything for me, just adds the menc file. Doesn't change the file type or name.

Very odd, what exactly does it do when it encrypts yours?

I will be trying the partition idea later today, as well as go searching in the registry to see if there is any clue to why this happens. This never happened with my Titan or Apache.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:38 AM
Lurker

Well, as suggested by a Kenwood tech, the abbreviated file names may only appear if you set the Kenwood to random play.

For now, I haven't resolved the situation and I am relying on a separate USB thumb drive to store all my music....

I don't see how a registry hack on the HTC Touch Pro will help. This is because the problem originates with the Kenwood Head Unit altering the files on the micro SDHC card.

For instance, after using the Kenwood head unit, the .menc file prevents my even my linux based PC from reading the card (for linux geeks... I have to manual force mount.) I have never run into this using SDHC on many types of devices. However, Windows will recognize the .menc altered card.

Perhaps we should start a new thread for HTC touch Pro user's that connect with Kenwood Head units??????
Old 04-15-2009, 05:16 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: touch Pro

Cakley84 is a n00b

Ok I have diffrent problem, my contact with PIMbackup is locked how do I unlock this?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro