PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2009, 11:52 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo
Carrier: Sprint

ItsDon is becoming a PPCGeeks regularItsDon is becoming a PPCGeeks regularItsDon is becoming a PPCGeeks regularItsDon is becoming a PPCGeeks regularItsDon is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
TP ICS Tethering - Will I be Charged?

I've read forum after forum and......

Simple question. I have a TP (stock ROM) with the Everything Data Share Plan 1500. Last night I plugged my phone into my laptop (USB), ran ICS and was surfing at near DSL speeds. I watched a couple hours of Hulu (very nice!) Will I be charged for this?

Half the threads say yes, some say no, some say only if I exceed 5GB, some say I need to do a registry hack - no real answer.

My account with Sprint shows "Vision Data - Unlimited" I assume that means I'm good to go, right?

This is from Sprints Website:

"Unlike voice calls, which are charged by the minute, data usage is charged by the size of file sent or received on your Sprint PCS Vision phone. If you have a Sprint PCS Vision pack with unlimited Sprint PCS Vision, your usage of Sprint PCS Vision is unlimited and you will not be charged any data fees."

Doesn't say anything about tethering or limits or anything, just unlimited. Not sure why I am freaking out, it just seems to good to be true and if it seems to good to be true....

I just checked my data usage online and it did indeed spike, should I be concerned?
Old 01-25-2009, 12:33 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

bairice is keeping up the good workbairice is keeping up the good work
Re: TP ICS Tethering - Will I be Charged?

Were you tethering using "phone as modem" or "usb"? From what I understand, the former involves extra charges, the latter most likely will not.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:39 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Thunderbolt
Carrier: Verizion

Buehlar is keeping up the good workBuehlar is keeping up the good work
Send a message via ICQ to Buehlar Send a message via Yahoo to Buehlar

If you are paying for the unlimited data plan, I'm sure you are covered.

Otherwise you will be charged per MB for use outside of your plan according to your contract agreement.

I'd recommend trying WMWifiRouter. Ver 0.91 and earlier is free (google the cab file).
It will turn your phone into a Wireless (ad-hoc) Router. No need for tethering cables.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:41 AM
VIP Member
Carrier: Verizon

kyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I'm on Verizon and havent been charged yet(Not to say it wont happen lol)..I use it while im at work and only surf the web and play poker. So I dont really use up that much data. I also have the Unlimited data package with Verizon, so im not really worried about going over..
Old 01-25-2009, 12:41 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO 3D

scrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Hahahahahahaaha

So you want info on how to defraud the carrier? Is that correct?

Just kidding:

The best thing to do is just call sprint and ask them. Have you dne that? I would hate to see people give wrong info and end up with a million dollar cell phone bill....

I would just call sprint.

Donations always accepted but never expected!
Old 01-25-2009, 02:41 AM
Very Important Person
Pocket PC: HTC Hero

ruskiyab is still contributing even after becoming a VIPruskiyab is still contributing even after becoming a VIPruskiyab is still contributing even after becoming a VIPruskiyab is still contributing even after becoming a VIPruskiyab is still contributing even after becoming a VIPruskiyab is still contributing even after becoming a VIPruskiyab is still contributing even after becoming a VIPruskiyab is still contributing even after becoming a VIPruskiyab is still contributing even after becoming a VIPruskiyab is still contributing even after becoming a VIPruskiyab is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

I'm assuming you're not on the stock sprint rom? If you are, the only way you'd be able to access the internet using the phone as a modem would be to have it in the plan, if you're on a custom rom, chances are undetectable internet sharing is included
Old 01-25-2009, 03:01 AM
VIP Member
Carrier: Verizon

kyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I was on the stock Verizon rom, installed the internet sharing app and it worked.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:01 AM
War is the answer!
Pocket PC: Samsung Note III, GS4 & Asus Transformer
Carrier: Sprint since 1995

WarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

i just did the reg edits and have been going strong sense i got the phone in Oct. i did call sprint and they said i wasn't suppose to be able to do it and that i would have to pay an extra 40 to have that service. i have the unlimited everything plan and was thinking....what does "everything" usually mean. must mean only a few things to sprint.

FORUM FAQ | FORUM RULES | NEW USER GUIDE |TIPS FOR SEARCHING | RULES FOR SALES ON SITE

Semper Fidelis (Always Faithful) is the motto of the Corps. That Marines have lived up to this motto is proved by the fact that there has never been a mutiny, or even the thought of one, among U.S. Marines.

Last edited by WarChild; 01-25-2009 at 04:04 AM.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:18 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: GS3/stock&unrooted

skeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruskiyab View Post
I'm assuming you're not on the stock sprint rom? If you are, the only way you'd be able to access the internet using the phone as a modem would be to have it in the plan
not entirely true, i have a stock sprint rom and i PAM all the time.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:03 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo
Threadstarter

ItsDon is becoming a PPCGeeks regularItsDon is becoming a PPCGeeks regularItsDon is becoming a PPCGeeks regularItsDon is becoming a PPCGeeks regularItsDon is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebai1990 View Post
Were you tethering using "phone as modem" or "usb"? From what I understand, the former involves extra charges, the latter most likely will not.
I'm using the stock rom but have installed the "cleanup" which changes the PAM to "Sprint" (whatever that means) and am connected by USB. I simply plugged the phone into my laptop (running Windows 7), ran the included Internet Connection Sharing app and was connected. It's fast enough to stream Hulu and Slingbox and I can see myself using this often while on the road. Just want to make sure there is no nasty bill in my mailbox when i get home.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro