PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2009, 11:10 PM
Big MVP Diesel
Pocket PC: TOUCH PRO 2
Carrier: Sprint

BigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to BigDiesel07 Send a message via Skype™ to BigDiesel07
Re: Manila TF3D - What's The Point?

Use the tips of your fingers... And click off-center when you want to slide..
Old 01-22-2009, 12:04 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

dr g is keeping up the good workdr g is keeping up the good workdr g is keeping up the good work

The point of TF3D IS to be less info-dense than other options. This makes it more finger friendly, relatively simple, intuitive and user-friendly. It's about user experience. It allows WM to be used in an entirely different way than before (and most importantly come from the factory that way), which people may prefer and may be a reason for them to purchase the device.

Presumably, future versions will be more customizable (the HD version is already moreso) ... this is a relatively young interface, give it some time.

Last edited by dr g; 01-22-2009 at 12:06 AM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:15 AM
Big MVP Diesel
Pocket PC: TOUCH PRO 2

BigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via AIM to BigDiesel07 Send a message via Skype™ to BigDiesel07

Good points Dr G...
Old 01-22-2009, 12:21 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

DSGamer is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazee View Post
I think people are too easily impressed/seduced by looks and lose site of practical functionality. DS Gamer is a great case in point. He starts out saying he thinks it is an upgrade like everyone else and then goes on to say he finds a 3rd party app's interface, although not as nice looking, is much easier and more efficient to use.
Yeah. I meant I can see how the TouchFlo 3D interface is an upgrade objectively. But it's not as efficient as it needs to be. So for me it's not good enough. Other people might have no problem with all the swiping and gesturing. I'd rather not.
PDA/Smartphone History: Casio Cassiopeia A-10 -> HP Jornada 430 -> HP Jornada 720 -> HP Joranda 545 -> HP Jornada 720 -> Compaq iPaq 3760 -> Palm m130 -> Palm Zire 31 -> Sharp Zaurus SL-5500 -> Palm m130 -> Palm Centro -> HTC Touch Pro -> T-Mobile G1 -> HTC Touch Pro -> Palm Centro -> HTC Touch Pro
Old 01-22-2009, 12:23 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

DSGamer is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyatbt View Post
I like the concept of the TF3D. However, I suck at it. When I try to touch it to make it flow I end up selecting it. I have not figured out how to make it work like I hear it is supposed to. I know I can adjust the pressures, but I have only experimented and still have the same problem. I would love to use it, but I am stuck using the stylus and carefully touching between icons to scroll.
I think this is partly because Windows Mobile is so slow and partly because the screen isn't capacitive. I imagine if the whole interface was built for a capacitive touch screen (it wasn't made that way, because of course then the stylus and selecting tiny WinMo buttons wouldn't work), then TouchFlo would be smoother.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:30 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: AT&T Fuze (HTC Touch Pro)
Threadstarter

jazee is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintTouch08 View Post
exactly, no ones saying the OP shouldnt have an opinion but starting a rant thread about it is ridiculous. thats how WM is, if you dont like something there are variants to install. No gun to anyones head to use any particular program. But theres no need to start threads going off on rants because its not your preferrred choice.
The purpose of the thread was to get feedback from people regarding the usefulness of the TF3D overlay. Being a new user, I was a bit surprised at some of the shortcomings. I just wanted a reality check as to whether or not I was missing something.

At least two people have confirmed they have discovered it to me inadequate for their needs compared to other 3rd party shells. Yet others really like it. It's nice that HTC didn't go so far to lock you into it and not give you the option to use 3rd party Today plug-ins at all. The phone is much more flexible that a lot of other phones.

I find it very curious why mention of the iPhone seems to hit a nerve with people? Maybe a sign of exhaustion from participating in other discussion comparing WM devices to iPhone? But again, you'll notice none of my posts say anything about this and that is better/worse than the iPhone. Still I find it interesting in the reactions by the mere mention of the device. Weird.

As a side note, SprintTouch08, I'd be curious to hear your definition of what an opinion is as opposed to the definition of what a rant is, and why my post falls under the definition of a rant and not an opinion? Just curious as this is the first time someone labeled one of my posts a rant.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:48 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Palm Pre baby!

z28marols1 is keeping up the good workz28marols1 is keeping up the good work

Ive noticed that using the stylus or my finger tip usually selects text, where as using the pad of my finger will cause it to scroll. Not sure if thats normal or becuase of the tweak the TF3D config tool added tho. But i can reproduce it every time.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:01 AM
pro_b

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

First off, TouchFlo is an improvement. Maybe not monumental but an improvement nevertheless. I agree that I could take it or leave it. Like someone else posted, I sometimes disable it depending on my mood. Truthfully, it IS eye candy but then again so is the Touch Pro built with a nice VGA glossy screen with a chrome lining. I think HTC simply attempted to right a wrong from Microsoft and they deserve much applause for that. I believe if they made all the improvements you feel should be made jazee then it would still fall short in some area for someone. I do respect your opinion and for those who feel this thread is a rant, just ignore it and don't post. I understand where you come from jazee and I agree with you as well as the others. My motto.... IT IS WHAT IT IS!!!

PRO_B
Old 01-22-2009, 01:02 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Treo 700wx/Mogul/TouchPro/TouchPro2/EVO rooted

itsall_cooool is keeping up the good workitsall_cooool is keeping up the good work

It's hard to faulth HTC for trying to create a snazzy interface to compete with (not be like) the iPhone.... after all, apple has sold MILLIONS of the junk devices. Although I agree that TF3D is sorely lacking, for the majority of users who just want a 'cool phone' it's great. I personally use Ultimate Launch on my TP and I have created an interface as good looking with way more functionality.

Wish i could break out the TF3D-today photo dialer and album viewer though. Oh and btw, i have about 40 MB more free ram with UL (though that hardly matters anymore). The TP is still the most powerful PPC in town, so its' options are limitless right now.

*edit* Sidenote for jazee: HTC couldn't integrate TF3D better into WM because unfortunately, its not their code. They pay licensing fees to microsoft for that, and unless they want to write their own original code, they are stuck with the 'dressing'.

Last edited by itsall_cooool; 01-22-2009 at 01:09 AM.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:48 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: AT&T Fuze (HTC Touch Pro)
Threadstarter

jazee is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr g View Post
Presumably, future versions will be more customizable (the HD version is already moreso) ... this is a relatively young interface, give it some time.
He dr g, can you give some specifics on how the HD version is more customizeable. I saw a view of a review on one and they didn't talk about customization.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro