PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2009, 11:10 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon

FormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Device Lock function breaks key lock

This took forever to find. After setting up security policies on my device including a password, I found that the key lock function would no longer work if called programatically (for example, I have Gyrator set to lock the keys if I put the device face down or upside down - in other words if I put it in my pocket - as long as the stylus is in). The key lock requires tapping unlock in two different places, but does not require a password. This is quite useful for preventing inadvertent answering of the phone or other strange things if your phone wakes up while in your pocket.

Unfortunately, after setting the security policies I wanted to use, it didn't work anymore. The set-up that got me was setting HKLM\Security\Policies\Policies\1023 (decimal 4131). Setting this to 0 means the device requires you to set-up a password to unlock the device - the password is effective at boot and after a time-out (this is what you set with the Lock control panel in settings->system. Setting it to one or any other value does not require, but does not prohibit a password.

So it seems I can't have both - the handy key lock feature for when I just want to put it in my pocket and the password for when it needs to be locked.

Now that said, I did find a program (TouchLockPro) that allows me to have both - but it's an extra program and it irritates me that a built-in feature isn't working like it should (IMHO). With TouchLockPro I can set a password and have it lock the screen with a stylus event or button. But I don't want to give up one of my buttons and I don't want to lock every time the stylus is inserted. Instead I'm seeking a password program to replace the built-in program.

Interestingly, this worked fine with the stock ROM. The specific function call that appears to have changed resides in coredll.dll which is in the XIP. When I went to a new ROM with new XIP, that's when this changed. No easy way to revert, and probably not advisable.

Now, anyone know of a good power-on password program to replace the built-in one? In the meantime I'll have to be damn careful not to lose my phone...

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro