PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2009, 08:18 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP
Carrier: VZW

Ultima is keeping up the good workUltima is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Backing up HA & AAA secret keys.

Here it is guys, how to back up your HA & AAA shared secret keys in case you break your evdo through flashing roms or *228 or something similar.

Requirements:
QPST 2.7 Build 301
QXDM 3.11.36

Put your phone in DMR mode.
##3424 (send) if you use a Verizon ROM
##3424# for Sprint
I am not sure which is used by Alltel, Telus, etc. Please post if you know and I will update this post.

Run the QPST config and plug in your phone, make sure your phone is detected in the COM port list. If not click Add New Port and add the one that it has detected your phone on. What it says may vary but USB will often be in the description.

Run QXDM click Options -> Communications and set the Target Port for the same one QPST config listed for your phone.

In the command box at the top type "spc 000000"
Note: If your SPC is not 000000 then you need to use the correct number instead!

If successful you will see a window titled "Command Output" that will output some text with the final line reading "SPC Result = Correct"

Next in the command box type "requestnvitemread ds_mip_ss_user_prof"

This will get you a lot of stuff in the Command Output window. It will start with the "DIAG TX item" section, ignore this one, we are interested in the "DIAG RX item" part.

The actual keys are 16 lines and marked in the output as 0-15. You will notice that quite handily both HA and AAA are both there. Take the part after the "0x" and that is actual key data. Just write down (or use word, notepad, whatever) to record this for safe keeping.

If you are doing this right then you have a long string of 30 characters all strung together for each key. DOUBLE CHECK YOUR COPYING! A single mistake will cause this to fail.

Putting the keys back into the phone:

Load QPST service programming, go to the M.IP tab. Double click profile 0 (in the white box) and use "Enter hex value" to enter your backups of your HA and AAA keys.

Write to phone.

Soft reset. (may not be required but I do it for good measure)

Enjoy data again without another call to support for a DMU reset or multiple ESN changes.

Please leave feedback to let me know about your experience and any issues you may have!

Good QXDM information is pretty rare so please contribute if you have anything to add!

Thanks to aarondeep from the original thread http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=52727 for pointing me in the right direction.
This post has been thanked 13 times.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:43 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Moto Droid, TP, PalmPRE, TP2
Carrier: Verizon

aarondeep is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to aarondeep
Re: Backing up HA & AAA secret keys.

Awesome, i had to sit on the phone this morning with a verizon tech who didn't know what she was doing for 30 minutes! This will save me any future headaches thanks alot!
Old 01-20-2009, 02:30 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: XV6850

Zenoran is becoming a PPCGeeks regularZenoran is becoming a PPCGeeks regularZenoran is becoming a PPCGeeks regularZenoran is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultima View Post
Run QXDM click Options -> Communications and set the Target Port for the same one QPST config listed for your phone.
What's QXDM? I don't see that in that as one of the options installed under QPST...

thanks
Old 01-20-2009, 04:25 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenoran View Post
What's QXDM? I don't see that in that as one of the options installed under QPST...

thanks
QXDM is a separate program from QPST, although QPST is required for (and must be running) to use QXDM.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:55 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Sprint TP on VZW

oshea85ppc is a n00b

if your phone is working, you can use QPST to read the service profile (?) from the phone, then save it to a file...and you can load that file back up later and write it to the phone to restore the keys....I just tested this and it works.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:04 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshea85ppc View Post
if your phone is working, you can use QPST to read the service profile (?) from the phone, then save it to a file...and you can load that file back up later and write it to the phone to restore the keys....I just tested this and it works.
Hmmm since QPST didnt show the values I wasn't aware that it saved them. Although I would be careful in using this method if you've been flashing ROMs, especially radio, it might have the potential to cause issues.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:24 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

I copied & saved them with out even using QDXM (although I have it)

I put mine in to EPST (##778, EDIT, 000000, view info, M.IP default profile) then highlight HA shared secret & click edit. That will show you the key & you can then copy & paste it to a note file (you need a KB with a ctrl key for ctrl C & ctrl V commands)

Do the same thing with the AAA shared secret & you're good to go.

You can save that note file to your laptop, a flash drive, the card in your phone or anywhere you want. If you lose data connection, copy the note file into the phone (or retrieve it from the card & reverse the above procedure & paste the info back in.

This works perfectly, I have done it probably six times now.

~John
Old 01-21-2009, 10:14 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: XV6850

Zenoran is becoming a PPCGeeks regularZenoran is becoming a PPCGeeks regularZenoran is becoming a PPCGeeks regularZenoran is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorton10 View Post
I copied & saved them with out even using QDXM (although I have it)

I put mine in to EPST (##778, EDIT, 000000, view info, M.IP default profile) then highlight HA shared secret & click edit. That will show you the key & you can then copy & paste it to a note file (you need a KB with a ctrl key for ctrl C & ctrl V commands)

Do the same thing with the AAA shared secret & you're good to go.

You can save that note file to your laptop, a flash drive, the card in your phone or anywhere you want. If you lose data connection, copy the note file into the phone (or retrieve it from the card & reverse the above procedure & paste the info back in.

This works perfectly, I have done it probably six times now.

~John
I noticed there are some binary characters in there that show up as squares... do these copy properly??? I was using PHM Notepad and they appear as squares in there too.. just wondering if the copy/paste copies everything properly or not...

I haven't done a *228 or had the need to restore keys from any ROM flashes yet... honestly the only time this should ever ben an issue is if doing a radio I believe... in any event, would be good to know I have them saved properly if it does happen.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:48 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Palm Pre
Carrier: Sprint

Glitch4583 is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
I noticed there are some binary characters in there that show up as squares... do these copy properly??? I was using PHM Notepad and they appear as squares in there too.. just wondering if the copy/paste copies everything properly or not...

I haven't done a *228 or had the need to restore keys from any ROM flashes yet... honestly the only time this should ever ben an issue is if doing a radio I believe... in any event, would be good to know I have them saved properly if it does happen.
Yes, I did this with my old TP and John's process works perfectly.

- Glitch
Old 01-21-2009, 10:51 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
I noticed there are some binary characters in there that show up as squares... do these copy properly???
I wondered about that too (the code looks like hieroglyphics) but it copies & pastes just fine.

~John

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro