PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2009, 01:45 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

frifox is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Touch Pro as WIFI router but NOT for sharing internet...?

a lot of times i find myself in a situation where there are 2 or more computers which have wifi... but there's no wifi router around, and there isnt a wifi hotspot to connect to.

is there a software solution that would turn my Touch Pro into a WiFi switch/router, not for sharing internet like WMWiFiRouter does but for sole purpose of connecting multiple wifi-enabled PC's into single LAN?

thanks!

PS: TP acting as DHCP would be a plus...
Old 01-06-2009, 06:02 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

cforster is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Touch Pro as WIFI router but NOT for sharing internet...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frifox View Post
a lot of times i find myself in a situation where there are 2 or more computers which have wifi... but there's no wifi router around, and there isnt a wifi hotspot to connect to.

is there a software solution that would turn my Touch Pro into a WiFi switch/router, not for sharing internet like WMWiFiRouter does but for sole purpose of connecting multiple wifi-enabled PC's into single LAN?

thanks!

PS: TP acting as DHCP would be a plus...
Well, technically WMwifirouter is handing out local ip addresses (using ics I am pretty sure, has its own dhcp if you will). I have never tried to actually communicate between two computers locally for file sharing or whatever during this. Something tells me I doubt it works, but I'll post back.

**EDIT**

It works like a charm. Thinking back I guess there was never a reason it shouldn't have. Just get the ip address of each computer after they connect to a WMwifirouter wireless network (ipconfig) and go to run and type *example* \\192.168.3.15
and the shares will show up on the other pc. (pc name could work, but name resolution will probably give you fits in this senario so I'd stick with ip address)

Note that you will need file and printer sharing for MS networks enabled under your network card properties for this to work on each pc. Obviously you would have to share out the resource as well (folder, printer, ect)

Hope this helps

**EDIT**

Another side note, your IP addresses will be dynamic so they will change with every reconnect to WMwifirouter wireless network. You'll have to get them every time you want do this.

Also I would not expect the performance on this to be that great, so if your thinking LAN party or something not sure if it will make the cut? Post back your results and let us know.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
Albert Einstein

If I or anyone else has helped you, please don't forget to click

Last edited by cforster; 01-06-2009 at 06:17 AM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro