PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2008, 11:43 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

flipper2008 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
GPS - Works free?

I have been reading many of these threads for the past few days and I'm very excited about the HTC Touch Pro (Which I'm still waiting for next week to arrive at our office) apparently Sprint is waiting for a new shippment to come in on Monday. I have been using Palm 700p for the past 2 years and we have the PCS Vision plan (I think that is what it's called with free internet access).

After reading the threads, I have one question about the GPS which im not sure about. The sales rep for our company said it's an additional cost for GPS use, is this true or once I load a custom rom or google maps It should work?? I looked around on the site but didnt find anything saying if its free or not.

I just want to make sure I will be able to do 'whatever' without incurring additional charges just for GPS. Not asking a stupid question I hope.

I can't wait for the phone, which hopefully by next weekend should be in my possession. Not sure how long it takes to ship. (Ft Lauderdale, FL)
Old 12-31-2008, 11:46 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Sprint EVO
Carrier: EPRP 500

stevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: GPS - Works free?

If you use the Sprint/whatever Navigator that comes with your phone yes they will charge you for that.

However if you download Google Maps, even Microsoft Live Search, those will cost you NOTHING to use the GPS.

Remember, GPS provides the location of your phone which is free, but it is up to the application/provider to decide if they want to chanrge you for utilizing the GPS with their software.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:53 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Treo 800

VibrantRedGT is becoming a great contributor

It depends on what Vision plan you have. If you use Sprint Navigation depending on your plan it may be an additional $9.95 a month. If not you can use Live Search or Google Maps again depending on your plan. Many of us have a Simply Everything plan which is just sick. Other than minutes everything is simply unlimited. BTW, Sprint Navigation program works so well I sold my portable Garmin GPS on ebay. Love that you can call in the address if you do not want to type it which works great when you are driving (never type and drive). You will love the Touch Pro. I am not really a slider fan but I adapted pretty quickly and digging the phone a lot.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:25 AM
Noob
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint SERO

Baffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via AIM to Baffles

GPS is always free regarldess of plan, at least on Sprint. The only thing that will cost you is Sprint Nav, if not included in your plan. Google Maps/Live search will cost unless you have unlimited data, but most people have data anyway.

baf.cc | GPS Toggler | Touch Pro Essentials | Got MSL?
Donations are accepted and greatly appreciated.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:30 AM
Lurker

Bigguy819 is a n00b

I have the Touch Pro with a data plan. You WILL NOT be charged extra for GPS
Old 01-01-2009, 01:48 AM
Retired Moderator
Pocket PC: NULL
Carrier: NULL

[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level

Everything said above is correct. Let me see if I can help you understand even more.

GPS itself is a free service by nature.
Google Maps is free software.
Using Google Maps with a GPS enabled phone will give you free mapping.

When people say you have to 'Pay for GPS' that is normally incorrect, because the carriers try to blur the line between hardware and software. They say 'Navigation' costs money to try to make you think that you have to purchase THEIR service in order to get GPS capablities.

So basically, if you have a GPS enabled phone [whose GPS chip is unlocked, like Sprint's Touch Pro] you can use any FREE mapping software [i.e. Google Maps, Microsoft Live Search, etc] to get FREE navigation and mapping.

You get charged when you use Sprint Navigation, which is software.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:06 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Smile Re: GPS - Works free?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedusa View Post
If you use the Sprint/whatever Navigator that comes with your phone yes they will charge you for that.

However if you download Google Maps, even Microsoft Live Search, those will cost you NOTHING to use the GPS.

Remember, GPS provides the location of your phone which is free, but it is up to the application/provider to decide if they want to chanrge you for utilizing the GPS with their software.
Thanks Steve, that is exactly what I wanted to hear
Old 01-01-2009, 03:09 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
It depends on what Vision plan you have. If you use Sprint Navigation depending on your plan it may be an additional $9.95 a month. If not you can use Live Search or Google Maps again depending on your plan. Many of us have a Simply Everything plan which is just sick. Other than minutes everything is simply unlimited. BTW, Sprint Navigation program works so well I sold my portable Garmin GPS on ebay. Love that you can call in the address if you do not want to type it which works great when you are driving (never type and drive). You will love the Touch Pro. I am not really a slider fan but I adapted pretty quickly and digging the phone a lot.
Sounds good, but thru my company, we get all our phones free so I just wanted to make sure there was nothing additonal, which is great to hear!

FYI --- What is the story with the FM radio, it works in the touch diamond but not on the Sprint Touch Pro if I understand correctly??

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro