PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2008, 03:32 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio
Carrier: Verizon

ksann is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question VZW Text Message Size Limits?

(Ok, I already searched the forum, and didn't see this addressed earlier)

Do any of the ROM's eliminate the 160 character limit on text messages?

According to my call into Verizon, it is not them, but the phone manufacturer. We conferenced in HTC, and they agreed that it was how the phone was programed, but they said there was no way around it.

Surely one of the enterprising people on this site gets as frustrated as I do with this limit.... (my previous Verizon (non-pda) phone had a limit of 1000 characters).

Any help?

Or am I beyond help?

ken
Old 12-31-2008, 03:42 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Thunderbolt

kyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: VZW Text Message Size Limits?

There are a few threads floating around here about this...But have a look at this site http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/samsu...haracters.html
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:57 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio
Threadstarter

ksann is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle4269 View Post
There are a few threads floating around here about this...But have a look at this site http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/samsu...haracters.html
Thanks, funny, I also have a Samsung i760 as my work phone, and hate it. Have never tried to see if there is a limit on SMS (which I now know there is).

The HTC guy said it was thier phone, but reading that other thread makes it seem like it is a WM issue.

Frustrated.

ken
Old 12-31-2008, 04:04 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: VZW Droid X

dimitri is halfway to VIP status based on repdimitri is halfway to VIP status based on repdimitri is halfway to VIP status based on repdimitri is halfway to VIP status based on repdimitri is halfway to VIP status based on repdimitri is halfway to VIP status based on repdimitri is halfway to VIP status based on repdimitri is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Actually all phones have 160 character limit. However, my phone will break them into multiple messages if I go over the limit.
Old 12-31-2008, 04:07 PM
VIP Member

kyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on repkyle4269 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Ken,

I've talked to a verizon service tech and he stated that its a network issue..I tested this out by having my girlfriend send me a text over 160 characters from her LG env. I got the first 160 characters and a second text saying "preceding msg modified, media objects removed". She got a text back saying "Message Delivered to *phonenumber* as plain text Destination does not support Enhanced Messaging Service" So I had a friend with a Sprint Touch Pro send me a text over 160 characters and I got the first 160 in 1 text and the remaining message is a second one.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:37 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Verizon HTC Touch Pro

SolShade is a n00b

Yah my old WM5 Treo would split incoming messages fine. TP doesn't do that and it drives me crazy. Funny thing is my Treo would stop me from sending messages over 160 but my TP will auto split it into 2 or more messages if needed. Win some lose some i guess

Last edited by SolShade; 12-31-2008 at 05:42 PM.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:48 PM
Coz-erator
Pocket PC: Sprint Galaxy Note 2 & other misc digital devices
Carrier: Sprint

CozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to CozBoogie Send a message via Yahoo to CozBoogie

Moved to the general Touch Pro Forum.

late,
Coz
Old 01-02-2009, 01:01 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon Wireles

Ender519 is keeping up the good workEnder519 is keeping up the good work

I had a i760 from Verizon and had the same problem.. so here is the deal. After talking with many techs here is how it works.

As everyone knows, SMS is limited to 160 characters per message. EMS is required to be able to receive messages larger than 160 characters broken up.

Most non-PDA phones support EMS. Some PDA phones (notably Blackberry/Palm) generally support EMS whereas most Windows Mobile based devices do not support EMS. Whether this has to do with Verizon's device profile or with the phone itself I don't know.. but here is what happens in the practical sense in my experience.

Outbound - you CAN send more than 160 characters to any phone EXCEPT windows mobile based phones on VZW

Inbound - you CAN receive more than 160 characters from phones that are not on VZW's network. You CANNOT receive more than 160 characters from any device on VZW's network.

The reason behind this - or so I'm told - is that in general the carrier's will break up messages themselves in the interchange.. but if you're going VZW to VZW you never hit this interchange and are now reliant on your device profile within the system. I have not found a workaround.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:23 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

ginkilla is a n00b
Send a message via MSN to ginkilla Send a message via Yahoo to ginkilla

I'm not sure if there is a registry setting for this on the Pro, but on my wife's Treo 800w I had to do this:

Increase SMS limit from 1 to 10 messages.
HKLM\software\palm\varnish\messaging\sms
MaxPartsPerMsg to 10 (from 1)

This would take the max characters from 160 to 1,600... There may be something similar in there?
Old 01-02-2009, 02:31 AM
VIP Member

I'm going to try it right now on my TP. I'll report back in a few.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro