PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2008, 11:59 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: 6850
Carrier: sprint

Justin311 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Can you charge the battery while using TV/Video Out Cable?

I plugged a wall charger into the spare USB port on my video out cable. The light on the centerpad "circlied" like it was charging - but the battery died after a while so obviously it was not. Did I get a bad cable or is it not supposed to charge like that?

If its not supposed to charge like that, is there any way to keep a charge on the TP while using the video out? I use it to listen to MP3s and Satellite Radio on long road trips and it only lasts a copule hours on a battery charge....
Old 12-30-2008, 12:04 AM
Big MVP Diesel
Pocket PC: TOUCH PRO 2
Carrier: Sprint

BigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via AIM to BigDiesel07 Send a message via Skype™ to BigDiesel07
Re: Can you charge the battery while using TV/Video Out Cable?

If the phone got really hot, then it probably was not charging because the phone has a sensor that prevents it from charging when it is too hot so the battery and/or phone will not be damaged... Honestly.. It's because you are running down the battery faster then the battery is being charged...
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:41 AM
Account Disabled
Pocket PC: HTC Shooter/Schubert 32GB
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

good looking big "d",i used my pros' navi while on a trip and it died.it seems you can't use the phone and charge it at the same time.funny my touch never did this.it just charged and worked.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:06 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

dr g is keeping up the good workdr g is keeping up the good workdr g is keeping up the good work

This is an issue with the TP. Were you streaming data?
Old 12-30-2008, 02:15 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

r1_rydah is keeping up the good workr1_rydah is keeping up the good workr1_rydah is keeping up the good work

I can use the cable & charge at the same time, but I have to plug the tv-out cable in to the phone then add the charger a few seconds later... if I plug the cable in to the phone with the charger already attached to the tv-out cable sometimes I wont get the tv-out menu pop-up, or the phone wont charge...
Old 12-30-2008, 01:49 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: 6850
Threadstarter

Justin311 is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr g View Post
This is an issue with the TP. Were you streaming data?
Yes I was. I was streaming satellite radio (internet) while trying to charge. I've had the "hot no charge" issue before but I don't remember the phone being hot on this occassion. I will experiment some more if others have been able to charge.

Thanks for the replies guys.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:46 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: tp

sde780 is just getting started

Do you have the stock rom? I'm using JuggaloX's rom and it charges noticeably faster
Old 12-30-2008, 02:51 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G

jason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1_rydah View Post
I can use the cable & charge at the same time, but I have to plug the tv-out cable in to the phone then add the charger a few seconds later... if I plug the cable in to the phone with the charger already attached to the tv-out cable sometimes I wont get the tv-out menu pop-up, or the phone wont charge...
Same thing here using the homemade charger. I do use my TP as my mp3 player now instead of my iPod and have it charging without any issues. (I have to use the adapter to plug in my charger and 3.5mm jack.)

Old 12-30-2008, 06:39 PM
i don't miss blackberry
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S3
Carrier: Sprint PCS

ou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuff

yeah, this is completely ridiculous. i can't believe that htc designed a device that gets so hot that it can't even charge.... i've been charging my phones while using them for as long as i can remember, and this is the first time i've ever experienced anything like this. if there were other real options on sprint (omnia or something similar), i would definitely get rid of the touch pro. but sadly, its the only device capable of doing what i need it to do, so i'm kinda stuck with it.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:22 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Alltel

sovrce is just getting started

I've had absolutely no problem using my phone in any regards while it was charging. Sometimes I check email & news while laying in bed with it connected to the charger and I don't have any problems. Here's the one thing I seem to be doing different than a LOT of people: I'm using the old charger that came with the HTC Titan. It's got about a 3' long cord and a snap-shut wall unit so you can flip the prongs down when you pull it out. It seems that a LOT of the charging and heat issues come up when you use the charger that came with the Touch Pro.. although I can't comment (and don't want to - seems like a huge overheating risk right now) on that because I haven't even taken that charger out of the plastic

Experiment with different mini-USB chargers and see if the same problem comes up. Granted mine's an Alltel TP, but I don't think that should make any difference...

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro