PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices



Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12-29-2008, 04:23 PM
rpmccormick's Avatar
PPCGeeks Regular
Offline
Pocket PC: G1
Carrier: TMO
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 91
Reputation: 85
rpmccormick is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Google Maps AGPS

Is there anyway to get "location" in google maps working (without turning on GPS)?

I ask because enabling GPS kills battery and takes a good minute to find sats. A working AGPS should be instant without killing battery, just very inaccurate (1/2 mile radius circle instead of pin-point 10m radius)

Does our AGPS work at all?
__________________
Sprint HTC Touch Pro / Sprint HTC Touch
Sprint Network ($45/mo 2-Phones/550FairFlex-Shared/NW@6/C2C/TXT/DATA)
Juggalo TP ROM v0.08B
Telus v1.04.05V Radio

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-29-2008, 04:29 PM
izuzu's Avatar
PPCGeeks Regular
Offline
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2 on Telus
Carrier: Telus
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 203
Reputation: 615
izuzu knows their stuffizuzu knows their stuffizuzu knows their stuffizuzu knows their stuffizuzu knows their stuffizuzu knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Google Maps AGPS

From reports we should keep our AGPS off because it is causing more of a delay to find sats. Try it it, i shut mine off and it's catching sat's in seconds.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12-29-2008, 04:45 PM
scrosler's Avatar
VIP Member
Offline
Pocket PC: EVO 3D
Carrier: Sprint
Location: Fargo ND
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,114
Reputation: 20875
scrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Google Maps AGPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmccormick View Post
Is there anyway to get "location" in google maps working (without turning on GPS)?

I ask because enabling GPS kills battery and takes a good minute to find sats. A working AGPS should be instant without killing battery, just very inaccurate (1/2 mile radius circle instead of pin-point 10m radius)

Does our AGPS work at all?
Could you please lable your post by what carrier you are reffering to? This would also not really be considered an upgrade or ROM issue. This should be posted in another forum.

But to answer your question, unless you specifically ENABLE aGPS its off. You cannot have aGPS alone. I dont beleive that can be done. But thats what I think. I will ask lllboredlll to take a look and get his opinion, GC 14 would be a good source of info on this as well.

Maybe they will chime in.....
__________________


Donations always accepted but never expected!
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12-29-2008, 05:38 PM
rpmccormick's Avatar
PPCGeeks Regular
Offline
Pocket PC: G1
Carrier: TMO
Threadstarter
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 91
Reputation: 85
rpmccormick is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Google Maps AGPS

Sorry I put this in upgrades, I meant to post in the TP root.

Before I got the TP I tried out the G1 on TMo. It's google maps allowed you to get an idea of location (within a large circle) without enabling the GPS. Once you enabled the GPS, it was much more accurate.

Our Google Maps app has a location button, but if you click it without enabling GPS it says it is currently unavailable. In the older version of Google Maps, clicking the location button without first enabling the GPS said something like "Location is not supported on your device". Basically, the location button is designed to somehow figure out aproximate location without using the real GPS reciever, but it doesn't work with the TP. I was just wondering if it was possible to make it work.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 12-29-2008, 06:03 PM
scrosler's Avatar
VIP Member
Offline
Pocket PC: EVO 3D
Carrier: Sprint
Location: Fargo ND
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,114
Reputation: 20875
scrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Google Maps AGPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmccormick View Post
Sorry I put this in upgrades, I meant to post in the TP root.

Before I got the TP I tried out the G1 on TMo. It's google maps allowed you to get an idea of location (within a large circle) without enabling the GPS. Once you enabled the GPS, it was much more accurate.

Our Google Maps app has a location button, but if you click it without enabling GPS it says it is currently unavailable. In the older version of Google Maps, clicking the location button without first enabling the GPS said something like "Location is not supported on your device". Basically, the location button is designed to somehow figure out aproximate location without using the real GPS reciever, but it doesn't work with the TP. I was just wondering if it was possible to make it work.

Wow, I never knew that. Hmmmm..... THis is still a good question for GC or Bored. I think either of them could answer it.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 12-29-2008, 06:27 PM
elr0y's Avatar
Lurker
Offline
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 5
Reputation: 0
elr0y is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Google Maps AGPS

I read a while back that it has to do with how easy it is/or if Google Maps can access your cell tower locator chip (I totally made that HW up).

Basically, on my old Treo 700p, it was extremely difficult for the maps application to get to the hardware it needed to create that circle.

On my wife's Blackberry Pearl (older model), the maps application can access the correct hardware and therefore creates that circle.

So, if google didn't write the maps software specifically for the TP hardware, it could just be a software issue of not finding the right hardware to find the cell signal.

I think I just confused myself. Hopefully, that helps a bit. I don't know about whether the TP can get the circle and have the GPS turned off.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 12-29-2008, 09:17 PM
twolane's Avatar
PPCGeeks Regular
Offline
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: Sprint
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 107
Reputation: 45
twolane is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Google Maps AGPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by elr0y View Post
I read a while back that it has to do with how easy it is/or if Google Maps can access your cell tower locator chip (I totally made that HW up).

Basically, on my old Treo 700p, it was extremely difficult for the maps application to get to the hardware it needed to create that circle.

On my wife's Blackberry Pearl (older model), the maps application can access the correct hardware and therefore creates that circle.

So, if google didn't write the maps software specifically for the TP hardware, it could just be a software issue of not finding the right hardware to find the cell signal.

I think I just confused myself. Hopefully, that helps a bit. I don't know about whether the TP can get the circle and have the GPS turned off.
From what I understand Googlemaps triangulates your location using local cell towers. Based on the number of towers that are in your area you'll get a more precise location.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 12-30-2008, 10:51 AM
CozBoogie's Avatar
Coz-erator
Offline
Pocket PC: Sprint Galaxy Note 2 & other misc digital devices
Carrier: Sprint
Location: Pacific Northwest
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 13,694
Reputation: 15639
CozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via MSN to CozBoogie Send a message via Yahoo to CozBoogie
Re: Google Maps AGPS

Moved to general Touch Pro Forum.

late,
Coz
__________________
"I don't want to spend my life explaining myself. Either you get it or you don't." Frank Zappa
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 01-05-2009, 04:11 PM
nemoid's Avatar
Regular 'Geeker
Offline
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint
Location: 914.ny
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 286
Reputation: 270
nemoid is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnemoid is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnemoid is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Google Maps AGPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by twolane View Post
From what I understand Googlemaps triangulates your location using local cell towers. Based on the number of towers that are in your area you'll get a more precise location.
That's exactly what it is.

Anyone have an idea if there there is a way to get it working on the Touch Pro?
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 01-05-2009, 05:21 PM
SkidBox2's Avatar
PPCGeeks Regular
Offline
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G
Carrier: Sprint
Location: KC
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 113
Reputation: 145
SkidBox2 is keeping up the good workSkidBox2 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via MSN to SkidBox2
Re: Google Maps AGPS

Extreme newb questions.
Is GoogleMaps a replacement for the stock Sprint GPS app?
If so, is it worth removing the Sprint app for GoogleMaps?

tia
Skid
Reply With Quote
Reply

  PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
©2012 - PPCGeeks.com