PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2008, 07:19 PM
Lurker

thejoshster is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Buying Sprint Pro to switch to Alltel...Good idea? Bad idea?

OK, so I'm aware of most of things involved in switching this phone from sprint to alltel. But if anyone who has done or attempted to do it could say if its worth it or not. I am worried about unsolved issues like roaming icon on the diamonds, data settings, modem rom, ect...Maybe wait till a leaked rom comes along? idk, i am looking at getting one on ebay and switching it over. Anyone with expierence or advice, feel free to share!
Old 12-27-2008, 07:55 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: TP
Carrier: Sprint

neilson is keeping up the good workneilson is keeping up the good work
Re: Buying Sprint Pro to switch to Alltel...Good idea? Bad idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejoshster View Post
OK, so I'm aware of most of things involved in switching this phone from sprint to alltel. But if anyone who has done or attempted to do it could say if its worth it or not. I am worried about unsolved issues like roaming icon on the diamonds, data settings, modem rom, ect...Maybe wait till a leaked rom comes along? idk, i am looking at getting one on ebay and switching it over. Anyone with expierence or advice, feel free to share!
What's the point? Alltel's gonna become Verizon so why not just buy the TP from Sprint and make it work on VZW(or even better, just buy the TP from VZW? Yeah it has less RAM but hey at least it won't get as hot as the Sprint TP).
Old 12-27-2008, 08:13 PM
Shop smart, shop S-MART!!
Pocket PC: Evolte, Gnex

themuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIP

Quote:
Well even though alltel will be merging with verizon I thought the alltel version was basically the same thing as the sprint version and not gimped like the verizon version, so whats the point?

Old 12-27-2008, 08:21 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

thejoshster is a n00b

Well I dont want to get one on contract(my plan will be more). I would like to get one as cheap as possible. Almost all the ones on ebay are sprint. So Im stuck between getting a sprint and converting or buying from alltel and pay more on my plan...
Old 12-27-2008, 09:02 PM
i don't miss blackberry
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S3
Carrier: Sprint PCS

ou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuff

why would you have to pay more for your plan? you can't just upgrade your phone and keep your current plan? that's how sprint works.....and everyone bashes sprint lol
Old 12-27-2008, 09:25 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

thejoshster is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
why would you have to pay more for your plan? you can't just upgrade your phone and keep your current plan? that's how sprint works.....and everyone bashes sprint lol
Well heres what i can do...

1. keep my current plan and pay $600 for the phone
2. re-sign 2 year plan for 23 more a month than i have and get the phone for $250.
3. keep my current plan and buy the phone somewhere else, hopefully around 350-400 and possibly switch it over.

I really want to just tell alltel extend my current contract 2 years and phone for $250 or i walk. haha

Last edited by thejoshster; 12-27-2008 at 09:28 PM.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:30 PM
i don't miss blackberry
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S3
Carrier: Sprint PCS

ou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuff

thats what i would do. i do that **** with sprint all the time. they paid for my touch pro. i haven't changed my plan in over 6 years, and everytime i've been forced to, i've made sprint make it the same price one way or another. i refuse to pay over 60 a month. what's the extra 23 dollars for... if its for a new data plan, then i can kind of understand the price increase for better bandwidth, but... if thats the case, you'll have to upgrade your data plan regardless of what phone you're using. if its something else, then.. yeah, i have no idea.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:44 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

thejoshster is a n00b

Right now i pay around 60 for my plan with data and some texting. To qualify for an upgrade price on the TP you have to sign up for a "smartchoice" plan which would be about $80 to be same as what i have now. My business has 13 lines with alltel since like 94'. I think I'm going to throw my weight around and see what hapens. haha
Old 12-27-2008, 10:36 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: TP

neilson is keeping up the good workneilson is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Well I dont want to get one on contract(my plan will be more). I would like to get one as cheap as possible. Almost all the ones on ebay are sprint. So Im stuck between getting a sprint and converting or buying from alltel and pay more on my plan...
Or buying a Verizon TP. Come on Joshster, you don't even want to consider that? Believe me, I like the Sprint/Alltel TPs, but you gotta listen to me when I say this. 96 MB less RAM = 192 MB RAM on the VZW TP. That also is why the VZW TP gets far less hot then the others.

Please consider that, and enjoy your conversion into the Verizon promised land.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:02 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Alltel HTC PPC6800

Bob26104 is a n00b

Hey, I'm with Joshter on this thread, (even though it's a little old). I buy ebay phones and continue to use my Alltel service without any darn contract! That way if I brick the thing then I'm not bound for 2 years anyway. Plus for just a little more than Alltel's downpayment...I own the phone out-right. Anyway, I just wanted to know if Alltel will accept the Sprint ESN.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro