PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2008, 03:00 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon

FormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Working laptop-initiated Bluetooth DUN with simultaneous USB ActiveSync

Well, somehow while stumbling through various posts on XDA on how to enable the disabled-by-Microsoft-in-their-ultimate-we-know-better-than-you-wisdom, I managed to not only get it working, but get it working in a manner that is as close to my ideal usage as is possible.

Basically, using the built-in MODEM Link application I can connect via USB - a stock phone can do this. If MODEM Link isn't running, USB makes an ActiveSync connection. With Bluetooth enabled on both the PC and phone, I can double-click on my Verizon BroadbandAccess DUN shortcut I've created and it will connect via USB if I have MODEM Link running on the phone and a USB cable connected, or via Bluetooth if not. I do not need to start any program or do anything on the phone for Bluetooth - it automatically connects to the phone BT DUN service and connects! It's really slick. This means that as long as the phone is in BT range (for example in my laptop bag), I can connect without taking it out of the bag. I can also connect if the phone is plugged in with the USB cable but I'm too lazy to start MODEM Link.

Now all this said, I'll try to walk through what I did, but I have not tried to start over and repeat this...

1) Phone registry edits
In the attached file, you will find a .reg file. Save this to your PC. Using a PC-based phone registry editor (search for CERegEdit if you have no idea what I just said), import this into the registry. Note, the original hacks included some additional keys - I removed them as they already existed in my stock phone - I've only included what is new.

2) Copy files
Copy ATCIUI.exe to the mobile device \Windows directory (Use Total Commander for this - only way I know to reliably copy to \Windows) and copy ATCIUI.lnk to \Windows\Start Menu\Programs.

3) Delete the existing Bluetooth pairing between your laptop and phone. Delete this on both devices.

4) Reset your phone

5) Pair (you should know how to do this). This step will vary depending on your PC Bluetooth software. Basically, during pairing, you need to have your PC query the device for the supported client services. You should see a list that includes ActiveSync, HotSync (relic from Palm days???), Dial-up Networking and OBEX Object Push. If you don't see DUN, something has gone wrong (did you forget to reset your phone?) Enable those that you need. This should cause your PC to create a new device - a Bluetooth MODEM. It may also create a new dial-up networking connection. You can use it or delete it. I chose to delete it so I just have one connection to deal with.

6) Configure the Dial-Up connection to your mobile carrier on the PC
You should know how to do this already. On the general tab, you should see in the MODEMs list both the HTC USB MODEM and the Bluetooth MODEM. Set the order (using the green arrows to the right of the MODEM list) to use the HTC USB MODEM first, and the Bluetooth MODEM second. Set all devices to dial the same number. On the Options tab, in the Multiple Devices section, set Dial only first available device. The rest of the set-up is the same as standard DUN (not using the Verizon Access Manager).

Again, I hope I captured all the steps - but if I missed some and this doesn't work for folks, let me know and as time permits I'll see if I can help.

Note - you do NOT have to use the MODEM Link or ATCIUI application to enable Bluetooth DUN once this is set-up. Just click on the dial-up networking connection on the PC. It will connect to the phone and call the DUN service on the phone and connect all on its own.

Finally, I am assuming that BT DUN is slower than USB - but I leave that up to someone else to test. Any performance difference will be in downstream - upstream is already quite slow.

EDIT: OK - I spoke too soon about this working with zero intervention on the mobile device. The laptop-initiated BT DUN connection will fail if the phone's data connection is already in use. The reason I didn't figure this out last night is because my ActiveSync schedule is set for manual after working hours vs. as items arrive during work hours. So you do have to stop any active data connections on the phone before doing this or you will get a PC DUN error 777.
Attached Files
File Type: zip HTC_Touch_Pro_BTDUN_Hack.zip (13.0 KB, 33 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by FormerPalmOS; 12-18-2008 at 09:58 AM.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:07 PM
Coz-erator
Pocket PC: Sprint Galaxy Note 2 & other misc digital devices
Carrier: Sprint

CozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via MSN to CozBoogie Send a message via Yahoo to CozBoogie
Re: Working laptop-initiated Bluetooth DUN with simultaneous USB ActiveSync

Moved to general Touch Pro Forum.

late,
Coz

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro