PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2008, 04:28 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: VZW

HybriDSM is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Want to switch from Sprint to Verizon

Hey guys and gals,

I picked up a Touch Pro while on Sprint. Just got a new job and they provide a cell phone. I was wondering if:

#1. It's possible to unlock my Sprint TP and flash it with VZW ROMs/Radios/etc. and have it work for VZW?

#2. If I can do that, will I be losing any features like GPS?

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-16-2008, 04:53 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro/Touch Diamond/BlackBerry Tour 9630
Carrier: Sprint

basilray knows their stuffbasilray knows their stuffbasilray knows their stuffbasilray knows their stuffbasilray knows their stuffbasilray knows their stuffbasilray knows their stuff
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Re: Want to switch from Sprint to Verizon

Please search...it's your friend.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=44663

Mods, please close this!
Old 12-16-2008, 07:51 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: VZW
Threadstarter

HybriDSM is a n00b

sorry about that. thanks for the link mods feel free to delete since I guess you can't do it yourself on this site.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:01 AM
Lurker

r_aceves2005 is a n00b

Honestly on a CDMA network i can almost find it impossible to unlock a Sprint phone and use it on Verizon,i use to work for Sprint Corporate 2 months ago, i now work for ATT, i am pretty knowledgable at this, i probably am wrong but due to my expirience i cannot see how this would work. The ESN needs to be registered on the network in order to use your phone. What the MSL does it allows you to access the program information, the PTN and MSID on your device the MSID is the most important part of the programming of a device. To make it simple to what i understand the MSID lets the phone know how to connect to the network, in order for the network to allow your device to make a phone call the ESN has to match with the ESN registered in the account, the billing system will not allow you to register an ESN that is not for that particular provider because the serial number is not recieved on their network inventory, the billing system wont know what kind of device it is. It all depends on the provider if they let you register the ESN in the network and set a default Compatibility of the device such as the device being a 2G or 3G in order to let the billing system provide either 2g service or 3g. Most major carriers like verizon and sprint will not let a device from another carrier to activate on their network.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:19 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

MidwestDrummer is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMidwestDrummer is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMidwestDrummer is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMidwestDrummer is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to MidwestDrummer Send a message via MSN to MidwestDrummer Send a message via Yahoo to MidwestDrummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_aceves2005 View Post
Honestly on a CDMA network i can almost find it impossible to unlock a Sprint phone and use it on Verizon,i use to work for Sprint Corporate 2 months ago, i now work for ATT, i am pretty knowledgable at this, i probably am wrong but due to my expirience i cannot see how this would work.
1. You're wrong, it will work.
2. You're not knowledgeable enough.
3. You do not have enough experience.
4. You don't know how to use the search feature.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:46 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D
Carrier: Sprint 4G Network

Deimoss is halfway to VIP status based on repDeimoss is halfway to VIP status based on repDeimoss is halfway to VIP status based on repDeimoss is halfway to VIP status based on repDeimoss is halfway to VIP status based on repDeimoss is halfway to VIP status based on repDeimoss is halfway to VIP status based on repDeimoss is halfway to VIP status based on repDeimoss is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_aceves2005 View Post
Honestly on a CDMA network ......." the MSID is the most important part of the programming of a device. To make it simple to what i understand the MSID lets the phone know how to connect to the network, in order for the network to allow your device to make a phone call the ESN has...."
Honestly... MSID# = mobile subscriber identification# it's just a fancy way of saying your phone number, to put it simply.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:19 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro/Palm Treo Pro

fresh31 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deimoss View Post
Honestly... MSID# = mobile subscriber identification# it's just a fancy way of saying your phone number, to put it simply.
Actually you two are technically both right the msid is a second phone number thats only used network side (on newer lines) unless you've had your phone number on the same network since atleast 3 years back your phone number will not be the msid, mdn (mobile device number is a fancy way of saying phone number)

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro