PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2008, 10:24 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Sprint touch

nosaec is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thinking of getting HTC Touch Pro

I have the Instinct right now and am not very happy with it. I had the Touch but got impatient with waiting for the Rev A. and GPS upgrade. I would like an honest opinion on the HTC Pro. How does the GPS perform? Well, instead of me listing each thing I would like to know about could someone just tell me how they feel about the overall performance of direct me to a link within the forum that can answer these questions for me. I would greatly appreciate it. Right now it is a toss up between the Touch Pro and the Blackberry Curve.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:30 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

steb0ne is becoming a great contributor
Re: Thinking of getting HTC Touch Pro

GPS works great for me (I use Sprint Navigation, which is also what the Instinct uses). There's other options like TomTom as well. I used to have the Instinct before I switch to the Diamond, then Touch Pro, I do miss the way live search works on that phone. But I'm used to have a WM device and the way you can customize it, makes me not want any other type of phone.

The Curve, I didn't really like, b/c I prefer the touch screen ability the TP has, plus it has the benefits of the slide out keyboard, if you need hardware buttons. The screen resolution is also awesome on the TP.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:36 AM
DaFlowMaster
Pocket PC: TP2 IPHONE 3GS 5.1.1
Carrier: GSM...

HBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via AIM to HBOOT

Here you go dude ,red TP review
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...ght=pro+review

I like curves in chicks only, TP is far more superior than that curve you thinking....lol
Old 12-11-2008, 11:00 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment

blazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to blazinazn

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosaec View Post
I have the Instinct right now and am not very happy with it. I had the Touch but got impatient with waiting for the Rev A. and GPS upgrade. I would like an honest opinion on the HTC Pro. How does the GPS perform? Well, instead of me listing each thing I would like to know about could someone just tell me how they feel about the overall performance of direct me to a link within the forum that can answer these questions for me. I would greatly appreciate it. Right now it is a toss up between the Touch Pro and the Blackberry Curve.
I've heard horrible things about the Instinct. Even playing with the demo for 5 minutes in the Sprint store, I could tell it isn't all that it's cracked up to be.

GPS does lag behind a little. I believe there is a thread trying to figure out how to minimize the lag time.

It does hav text to speech to give you turn by turn directions which is accurate for the most part. I haven't done any tweaks to improve the sound so the speech can be a little low sometimes when the radio is on. But that is fixable by using the audio tweak that is available.

If you like being able to customize your phone, you can't beat the TP and winmo. I like being able to add my own personality to the phone, but that's just me.

I feel like the overall usability/functionality of this phone is excellent. Having a full qwerty keyboard is a must on a multimedia phone for me. I hate pecking and not having any feedback when typing, ala Iphone/storm/etc. I came from a motorola Q, which has a full qwerty keyboard similiar to that of the curve. You always have to lock it when you carry it in your pocket and it is always exposed obviously. There towards the end of my 2 year contract some of the keys on my Q were stiff and didn't work unless I mashed on them. Nt only that, but it's ugly and the keys were tiny.

At first, my typing was slow on the pro, but after a few days I can type pretty fast without making a lot of mistakes. Pretty important if you are typing/replying to emails and texting. This phone comes pretty close to being a good all in 1 phone. Wifi, data, email, video, audio, decent camera. I believe you can get FM to work? What more could you possibly want/need in 1 device?

I give this phone 2 thumbs up.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:25 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

Merq is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to Merq

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosaec View Post
The GPS is like a ticker. Every 1-2 seconds it updates where you are at. It does not move fluently, but accurate nonetheless.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:32 AM
i like turtles
Pocket PC: Fascinate (Galaxy S)
Carrier: Verizon

chronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIP

I had the instinct, then I went to this phone. I felt as though I gave the instinct more than a fair chance. I had it from August 20th to November 11th, and in that time, I've never been more frustrated with a device in all my life.

A few features the Instinct has that I miss:
  • Wide screen for watching my movies
  • Live search's auto GPS for finding stuff closest to where you are at the moment. (Windows mobile has live search, but with manual gps entry. You can select previous locations from a drop down list though, so it actually works out better after a few searches from around your area.)
  • Visual Voicemail
  • Candy bar shape. (tp is thicker, but feels better in the hand.)
Now don't get me wrong, watching movies on the Instinct was great because of it's native 16:9 screen, but with the VGA screen on the touch pro, you can make out the details just as easy, and any video in 4:3 is much bigger. It has a youtube app that works great, and since all the videos are in 4:3 it fills the screen. Sprint TV WORKS also!!! The Instinct's TV NEVER worked, from day one to the last day I used it, I never got to watch a single thing on the Instinct's TV app. The Sprint TV app makes use of the accelerometer also, so you can flip the phone however way you want it.

The main thing I gained with the touch pro was reliability. The Instinct just had too many random problems; Voicemail would go down for no reason, news weather and sports would suddenly give me error messages, TV never worked (as mentioned before), random lockups & random black screens each requiring to take the battery out, crappy browser with "out of memory" errors constantly or sites that locked the phone up (although after mr4 update opera mobile aparently runs on it) and finally, APPS!!!!

What ever happened with the app contest Sprint had for the Instinct? They either got some really crappy submissions or not enough because out of nowhere they just decide to cancel it, a week after the winner was supposed to be announced. With the touch pro you get windows mobile 6.1 pro, and with windows mobile, you get APPS!!! ALOT of free apps. One of the coolest things I found for free was MusicID which is the exact same thing as shazam on iphone (identifies music from listening to it.) I use it all the time with the radio in my car.

Here's the bottom line: The touch pro was not oriented around entertainment, but rather productivity. It just happens that you can get a lot of entertainment out of it, while having a really nice phone in the process. If you want games, a thumb friendly interface like the instinct, and apps, the iphone is your best bet.

edit:
Oh I just wanted to add, the touch pro and diamond both come with an equalizer, so your mp3's sound great. Compared to the Instinct, mp3s are just phenomenal sounding.

Last edited by chronster; 12-11-2008 at 11:38 AM.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:07 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Touch Pro

cforster is becoming a great contributor

I have the TP and my wife has the BB Curve. To be honest, both are very good phones. There are a few people on here that are very quick to down anything that isn't windows mobile, and I don't totally agree with that.

It really all comes down to one question. If you want a phone that you can customize and really make it work for you....go with the TP. If you want a phone that is really good at what it does out of the box, but is very limited in what you can customize - you might look at the Curve.

I absolutely love my TP. I wouldn't trade it for the world. But its not for everyone. I enjoy tweaking my phone out and trying new things. I put quite a bit of time into it.

My wife is about as non technical as it comes - but the Curve really meets her needs well.

Do some thinking on what you really need or want in your phone and go from there.....

Hope that helps.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
Albert Einstein

If I or anyone else has helped you, please don't forget to click
Old 12-11-2008, 12:11 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: TOUCH PRO
Carrier: SPRINT

hotpocket44 is a n00b
Send a message via Yahoo to hotpocket44

if you want a chevy cavalier get the curve.
if you would like a cadillac get the Touch Pro.
if you would be more interested in a dodge neon get the ace
Old 12-11-2008, 12:26 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

Merq is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to Merq

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpocket44 View Post
if you want a chevy cavalier get the curve.
if you would like a cadillac get the Touch Pro.
if you would be more interested in a dodge neon get the ace
Lol, I have a Cadillac and TP. Must be true!
Old 12-11-2008, 12:34 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO™ 3D

furiousgtz is keeping up the good workfuriousgtz is keeping up the good workfuriousgtz is keeping up the good work

awesome device go for it.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro