PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2009, 08:35 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

zalozhed is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: car charger not charging

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr8820 View Post
go to your dial pad and press ##786# and there's the manufacture date.
Thanks for this tip. It shows 02/22/09.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:55 PM
Account Disabled
Pocket PC: HTC Shooter/Schubert 32GB
Carrier: T-Mobile
Threadstarter

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalozhed View Post
Thanks for this tip. It shows 02/22/09.
you might want to tweak it. i got my 4th replacement but didn't tweak it and the battery didn't last 8 hours. the first one i always install is the diamond tweak. enable almost everything EXCEPT cleartype in landscape mode. and don't enable t9.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:57 PM
Bay Area Boss
Pocket PC: Nexus One

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via Yahoo to p-slim

Quote:
you might want to tweak it. i got my 4th replacement but didn't tweak it and the battery didn't last 8 hours. the first one i always install is the diamond tweak. enable almost everything EXCEPT cleartype in landscape mode. and don't enable t9.
does cleartype use up extra battery power? I have it checked because thats the way it comes so i just left it. honestly i don't even see a real difference, checked or unchecked.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:01 PM
Account Disabled
Threadstarter

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-slim View Post
does cleartype use up extra battery power? I have it checked because thats the way it comes so i just left it. honestly i don't even see a real difference, checked or unchecked.
if you use your hard keyboard, the letters don't come up and you really don't know what you're typing. the other options help your battery.EDIT; this is only if you have the diamond tweak.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:29 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC HD2
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

darnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuff

I'm running the TF3D HD port and the following registry tweaks.

These
and this other one for touch screen sensitivity:
Quote:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\TouchPanel
Value = PressureThreshold
Change from the default dword:00000027 or 34 to dword:000000f0 or 240 in decimal
But I'm not streaming video all day long every day either. I do know some people have said they had heat issues with one and after a replacement (or 2) they no longer had problems with it. But I guess not everyone has had the same results.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:18 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

darnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuff

While on a short drive today, I started up Telenav 5.1.16. This was after the device was off charger on standby for an hour and then used for a few minutes to play music via the Moto T505 in the car without charger. The battery indicator was still showing full, but I figure once I got it on the car chager it would charge for a while. I stuck the charger in just before starting Telenav 5.1.16 and I used Telenav to route me to my destination which was just drive of between 5-10 minutes. Within a few mintues, the D-pad circle went solid white. Way before I expected.

I doubt my long drives next week will be any different from with Sprint Navigation given what I saw today.

I think anyone noticing these charging issues with Sprint Navigation/Telenav should search around and see if maybe other Sprint WM users are having similar issues. I don't know if this is unique to the Touch Pro. I know when I had an 800w I had occasions where I'd have this issue, but not every time like with the Touch Pro.

Also, I've noticed when in contacts, if I select the "Drive to" option for a contact, Telenav 5.1.16 starts, but THE ADDRESS IS NOT FED INTO TELENAV. So unlike Sprint Navigation, I'm not able to use the "Drive to" option for an easy way to get a route to a destination. I don't use that method very often, Telenav 5.1.16 has some benefits over Sprint Navigation v2.1, so I'll keep it for now and see if there is a way to resolve this and the charging issue.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:23 PM
Account Disabled
Threadstarter

darnell, let me know how it is after a long drive. also, try removing the battery cover and see if that cools it down.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:48 AM
Halfway to VIP Status

Quote:
also, try removing the battery cover and see if that cools it down.
But it's not getting hot . Mine has never had issues with heat .

But if I did have heat problems and needed to remove the battery cover, that would not be good, because I'd have to keep the device out of my hack Proclip-knockoff-IGrip-hybrid car mount .
Old 03-22-2009, 10:50 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

Ended up going on some drives today that were long enough to do a little testing.

I started out using Telenav 5.1.16 and playing some music for the kids. The D-pad went solid white in less than 5 minutes and the device was cool, cool as in not even warm. No charging after that. Later, on another drive and the battery only 3/4 full, I started some music and fired up NoniGPSPlot v2.74. I wanted to see if another GPS application that draws maps locally with no remote map downloads would have any charging problems. (The music was MP3 files on the MicroSDHC card. But I already know things charge fine in the car when streaming radio.) I used it for 15 minutes with the device continually charging, no problems. Then during that drive I closed NoniGPSPlot v2.74 and opened Telenave 5.1.16. In about 5 minutes time, the D-pad stopped showing any "heartbeat". (The D-Pad remained dark this time.) About 5 minutes after that (10 minutes total with Telenav running) I closed Telenav and the device was running off battery (and still no where near fully charged). Basically Telenav killed the charge somehow, although my OEM HTC car charger was still connected. I opened the Power settings, to see the battery was no where near charged, but running off battery while the car charger was connected. Once I closed the Power settings utility (the one you get to by selecting "Power" in settings) a few seconds later the device started charging again. So after Telenav was closed and I went into and closed the Power setting utility, the Touch Pro came to its senses and started charging.

I think this confirms it's not the GPS that stops the device from charging, it's something with Telenav. I've had cases where I was setting still with Telenav running, a route already plotted and the device would keep charging. It was not till I started moving and Telenav had to start loading maps on the fly and offering moving directions that charging would stop. So it's something about once Telenav is giving in motion guidance.

I think it's confirmed even Telenav 5.1.16 has the "no charge" problem just like Sprint Navigation 2.1.

I do plan to up the stakes a bit though. I'm going to try out a custom ROM and then see how things go.

I'll report back when I have more to report .
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:03 PM
Account Disabled
Threadstarter

10-4 darnell! i think i'm going to start using mine more just to see what i can see.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro