PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2008, 09:41 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: palm pre, treo pro
Carrier: sprint

BiffTirkle is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
new guy here with a couple of simple questions about the htc touch pro.

ive searched on here for days now, and have yet to find a few answers i have questions about.

first of all, i have the palm treo 800w, and its very boring.

2 weeks ago i purchased the htc touch pro. i liked the phone, wow it was damned cool.

i returned it because of a list of things i felt it fell short in.
i had to make a list of pros and cons to determine if it was worth keeping
i wont list them all, but i will list the two most important reasons i returned it.

1. reception, i would get no bars in my house where with my treo 800w i got almost full strength reception.

2. battery consumption.

the evening after i returned the phone, i found this site. i was disappointed to say the least after discovering this site.

i am fairly new to tweaking and modifying a cell phone handset. i have gained some knowledge and skills tweaking my treo 800w in the past two weeks. but i still have a few questions about more technical terms and such.

1. what the hell is hard spl?

2. is there a way to improve the reception of the touch pro? from what i have read, yes there is. but if i dont fully understand what hard spl is then, id rather not jump into something i dont have a full understanding of.

i want to buy another htc touch pro, and since there is a nice discount making it 180 bucks after all is said and done, i think its a great price.

any links, definitions, and advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks!
Old 11-16-2008, 09:46 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Touch Pro

jimmytop is a n00b
Re: new guy here with a couple of simple questions about the htc touch pro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiffTirkle View Post
i want to buy another htc touch pro, and since there is a nice discount making it 180 bucks after all is said and done, i think its a great price.
You are better off with the 800w.... generally not a good idea to stick your finger in the light socket again after getting shocked the first time
And all the tweaking in the world won't overcome the defective hardware that you have a high probability of receiving from htc....
Old 11-16-2008, 09:55 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

BiffTirkle is a n00b

that is why i am asking my questions, because it is either the htc touch pro. or the treo pro. though the treo pro is almost the same thing as the 800w. but it doesnt have the recessed screen and its supposed to be thinner.

i dont know really. im bored to death with the treo 800w. there really isnt anything about it that wows me. i was impressed with the function and styling of the htc touch pro.

i suppose you are right. chances are i wouldnt be happy with a second touch pro.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:59 AM
Bringer of Good Things
Pocket PC: HTC TITAN
Carrier: AT&T

GoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

1. HardSPL is the bootloader that controls what ROMs can be loaded onto your phone. You'll want to spend time in the stickied threads in the Upgrades subforum for information on all that.

2. There are several tweaks for enabling Roam Only mode which helps a lot in some areas. But that said, until HTC releases a radio update, tweaks of that nature are limited on the Touch Pro right now. You can find information on many great tweaks in the links in my signature.

Sounds to me like you'll want to dig through some of the posts on the Upgrades subforum.

Last edited by GoodThings2Life; 11-16-2008 at 10:01 AM.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:05 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

BiffTirkle is a n00b

ive spent quite a bit of time in the upgrades forum. but i wasnt sure if the hard spl meant radio update, or updating the bootloader. thanks! and it sounds to me that i need to wait until htc releases a better radio update. in the meantime i may just wait and keep reading the forums on here.

thanks!
Old 11-16-2008, 10:58 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

scottad1972 is just getting started

Things will get better when they release a software update

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro