PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2008, 03:58 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint

MidwestDrummer is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMidwestDrummer is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMidwestDrummer is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMidwestDrummer is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to MidwestDrummer Send a message via MSN to MidwestDrummer Send a message via Yahoo to MidwestDrummer
How to set up POP instead of IMAP?

I'm wanting to set up my Gmail account in pOutlook, but when completing the automated setup, it creates an IMAP account instead of POP. The thing is, I don't want IMAP, because when I delete emails of off my Touch Pro, I don't want them to be deleted off of the Gmail server.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 11-08-2008, 04:15 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EPIC

Unknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIP
Re: How to set up POP instead of IMAP?

I dont believe you can use POP Gmail on WinMo devices just IMAP.

If you look at the settings in your Gmail account POP cannot be configure to WinMo devices.
Don't just say "Thanks"....give
Old 11-08-2008, 04:16 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Droid / Omnia II
Carrier: The Dark Side

parkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestDrummer View Post
I'm wanting to set up my Gmail account in pOutlook, but when completing the automated setup, it creates an IMAP account instead of POP. The thing is, I don't want IMAP, because when I delete emails of off my Touch Pro, I don't want them to be deleted off of the Gmail server.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
When it asks your email address type in something like g@g.com or something crazy (The idea being that WindowsMobile wont be able to find automated setup instructions for the fake email you enter) . After the you will be able to set up the account manually, and you can rename the email address afterwords. Directions are actually posted in Gmail's setup instructions on their website.
Old 11-08-2008, 04:16 AM
Regular 'Geeker

parkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Zone View Post
I dont believe you can use POP Gmail on WinMo devices just IMAP.

If you look at the settings in your Gmail account POP cannot be configure to WinMo devices.
Thats not true, I have G-mail setup for POP access!
Old 11-08-2008, 04:19 AM
VIP Member

Unknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkjam View Post
Thats not true, I have G-mail setup for POP access!
what are your pop and smtp address, cause the gmail settings www does not have "WinMo Devices Settings" for POP, now it has settings for POP being used on desktop pc's

Last edited by Unknown Zone; 11-08-2008 at 04:23 AM.
Old 11-08-2008, 04:26 AM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
what are your pop and smtp address, cause the gmail settings www does not have "WinMo Devices Settings" for POP, now it has settings for POP being used on desktop pc's
They are the same, pop access is pop access, doesn't matter what email client (pOutlook in our case) that you use. The instructions are just their to provide people who are unsure of how to set up an email account guidance on a per client basis.

Incoming Mail (POP3) Server - requires SSL:pop.gmail.com
Use SSL: Yes
Port: 995 Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server - requires TLS:smtp.gmail.com (use authentication)
Use Authentication: Yes
Use STARTTLS: Yes (some clients call this SSL)
Port: 465 or 587
Account Name: your full email address (including @gmail.com or @your_domain.com)
Email Address: your email address (username@gmail.com or username@your_domain.com)
Password: your Gmail password

Last edited by parkjam; 11-08-2008 at 04:34 AM.
Old 11-08-2008, 04:28 AM
Regular 'Geeker

I just though of something else too, with G-Mail and IMAP with a PDA your messages don't get deleted on the server. pOutlook puts them in the "Deleted Items" folder, so in the G-Mail web client they just get that label, much like any other label you have setup in G-Mail They don't actually get deleted unless you actually log into the web client and send them to the Trash.

Last edited by parkjam; 11-08-2008 at 04:31 AM.
Old 11-08-2008, 04:44 AM
VIP Member

thanks for the POP setting info...just was not sure since it was not listed on the gmail site under "Wireless Devices" for POP.
Old 11-08-2008, 04:47 AM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
thanks for the POP setting info...just was not sure since it was not listed on the gmail site under "Wireless Devices" for POP.
It's just because they are lazy and don't feel like supporting what is widely considered an outdated protocol on the WinMo platform.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:30 AM
DaFlowMaster
Pocket PC: TP2 IPHONE 3GS 5.1.1
Carrier: GSM...

HBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via AIM to HBOOT

Right on ParkJam, you are accurate. I like POP much better than IMAP, it is way faster when dowloading and have been working flawlessly for a long time now.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro