PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2008, 01:25 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc touch pro
Carrier: sprint

ragtim is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Get MSL for Sprint HTC Touch Pro

I have seen various tweaks/hacks that require the MSL code. While I realize that you can just call Sprint and finagle it out of them, I have a habit of writing it down and losing it, so I wanted to be able to get it anytime I want. I couldn't find a link with everything consolidated in one post, so here it goes. Also, I must give credit to krazieintentz at xda as I stole the steps for connecting via cdma workshp from his post: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=379364. They just didn't work for me without the HTC modem driver and he never used the word MSL so his post didn't readily turn up in any of my searches

Of course, I will throw out the disclaimers. This tool will allow you to do much more than I expain below. Be careful when using this tool as you can mess up your phone. I never actually used it to do any writing to the phone. Only to read the MSL. Explore at your own risk. I am not responsible for anything that happens to your phone or service should you do this.

What to do.

1. Download the HTC Modem Drivers and run the file. http://www.htc.com/us/fAQs.aspx?p_id=88&cat=264&id=8256

2. When you get to window that says "Start Installer to auto setup", continue on to the next steps. Leave this window open.

3. Install the cdma workshop demo. You only need the demo to do this and can dowload it from http://www.cdma-ware.com/workshop.html. It is a rar file. Just unzip the rar file to a location and that is it. You will have a new folder called "CDMA_WORKSHOP" with the program exe inside. There is no installation process, Just click on the CDMA icon in the folder and the program will launch.

4. Now that we have installed the program. Lets set up the device. - Open the device manager.
  • A new window will load with all the components connected to your computer.
  • Click on the "+" next to Ports (Coms & LPT) and the "+" next to modems. This will give you a list of devices under those categories.
  • Leave this window open! and connect your device using the USB cable. You don't have to disable Active sync, but you can if you like. Or just stop the process when it asks to sync.
  • Now go to the phones Dial pad and press ##3424#. This will put the phone in diagnostics mode. You will see a screen on the phone displaying DMR items and data, this screen will disappear after some time.
  • Now go back to the device manager. You will have two new items. A HTC modem under the modems tab, and a HTC diagnostics Interface under ports. Note the COM port number of the diagnostics interface.
  • It is in parenthesis. If it is COM 8 or higher we will need to change it. (This is due to restrictions of the demo software).
  • If you have a COM of 1 - 7 you can skip this step and goto step 5.
  • Change the COM port by right clicking on the Diagnostic link interface and selecting properties. In the new window click on the Ports setting Tab at the top. Then click on the advance button on the lower right. A new window will appear with a drop down box. Select a different com port and click ok. It may say the com is already in use, click ok, and restart the computer. Repeat all previous steps again after the computer restarts. In vista it told me which ports were already in use, so I picked one that wasn't. I don't know if XP does this or not.

5. Open CDMA workshop. Select the com port of the diagnostics cable and click on connect. It will say port connected sucessfully. If you get an error make sure you have the right com port and your phone is in diagnostics mode.

6. Then click on read. It will read all the data of your phone and display it in phone information.

7. Goto the security tab and click "Read" Under the "SP/User Lock" section. The number it returns is your MSL.

Again use at your own risk!!!

I did this using Vista and a Sprint HTC Pro. Hope this works for everyone.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:26 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG v10
Carrier: T-mobile

clockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: Get MSL for Sprint HTC Touch Pro

Personally I asked for mine and they gave it to me without a question. They did ask me if that's all I needed.

BTW cdmaworkshop found on the net usually comes with a trojan, becareful.

-CC
Old 11-03-2008, 01:30 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc touch pro
Carrier: sprint
Threadstarter

ragtim is a n00b

yeah. that's why i posted a link to the original site for the program. People kept pointing to towards hacked full versions of the software and there is no need to do all that. The demo software for the developers website works fine. Also, I know some people have expressed issues with getting the MSL from sprint. As for me, I just never seem to keep up with stuff I write down so I always end up having to hunt for my MSL again
Old 11-03-2008, 01:33 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG v10
Carrier: T-mobile

clockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtim View Post
yeah. that's why i posted a link to the original site for the program. People kept pointing to towards hacked full versions of the software and there is no need to do all that. The demo software for the developers website works fine. Also, I know some people have expressed issues with getting the MSL from sprint. As for me, I just never seem to keep up with stuff I write down so I always end up having to hunt for my MSL again

I usually wind up editing mine to all 00000.

-CC
Old 11-03-2008, 01:42 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

big3etr is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to big3etr Send a message via MSN to big3etr Send a message via Yahoo to big3etr

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockcycle View Post
I usually wind up editing mine to all 00000.

-CC
Any way you gonna elaborate on that procedure?
Old 11-03-2008, 02:24 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

jaminmc is halfway to VIP status based on repjaminmc is halfway to VIP status based on repjaminmc is halfway to VIP status based on repjaminmc is halfway to VIP status based on repjaminmc is halfway to VIP status based on repjaminmc is halfway to VIP status based on repjaminmc is halfway to VIP status based on repjaminmc is halfway to VIP status based on repjaminmc is halfway to VIP status based on repjaminmc is halfway to VIP status based on repjaminmc is halfway to VIP status based on rep

If you edit yours to 000000, then you can't update your vision profile, or PRL. At the same time, they won't be able to push a PRL to you either.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:30 PM
Blabber mouth
Pocket PC: MoPho
Carrier: Sprint.... for now

cornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

yes you can, you just have to do it manually which is really easy. you go into epst, select the prl file you download and tell it to update to that. as for the vision profile you may be right, but after first activation I dont see vision needing to update.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:40 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 4G

cordevil95 is keeping up the good workcordevil95 is keeping up the good work

There is another method to get your MSL which, to me, seems a little easier and doesn't require any installs, just a reg tweak. Here is a link

http://www.smartphonejunkie.com/showthread.php?t=25680

I did this and it worked perfectly. The txt file is in a different location on the TP. It's in \Atlog\ATDbg0.txt
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:34 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC touch pro
Carrier: Met

snook954 is a n00b

I'm hsving trouble getting my phone into diagnostic mode. i put in the ##3424# code but the device does not react. Please help! thank you in advance.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:56 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC Hero (Flashed to cricket)
Carrier: cricKet

whitey10tc is halfway to VIP status based on repwhitey10tc is halfway to VIP status based on repwhitey10tc is halfway to VIP status based on repwhitey10tc is halfway to VIP status based on repwhitey10tc is halfway to VIP status based on repwhitey10tc is halfway to VIP status based on repwhitey10tc is halfway to VIP status based on repwhitey10tc is halfway to VIP status based on repwhitey10tc is halfway to VIP status based on repwhitey10tc is halfway to VIP status based on repwhitey10tc is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snook954 View Post
I'm hsving trouble getting my phone into diagnostic mode. i put in the ##3424# code but the device does not react. Please help! thank you in advance.
Try ##3424(Snd) or you can install this cab http://dc182.4shared.com/download/21..._Shortcuts.cab

Note the cab will install a folder to your start menu and has the 3 main shortcuts you will need. DIAG, PST, DEBUG.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro