PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2008, 02:32 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G
Carrier: Sprint

s1l3ntm0use is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Instant Messenging via Wi-Fi

Does IM not work with wi-fi and only through Sprint internet? I keep getting the error "Server is temporarily unavailable (code:500)"
Old 10-28-2008, 02:34 AM
Timeless
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

TurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to TurboFool Send a message via MSN to TurboFool Send a message via Yahoo to TurboFool
Re: Instant Messenging via Wi-Fi

If I'm not mistaken the instant messaging in some way makes use of the SMS network for sending and receiving messages in order to cut down on power usage, which would explain why it can't function over WiFi.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:46 AM
HTC = TAIWAN! =)
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2

twe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on reptwe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on reptwe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on reptwe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on reptwe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on reptwe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on reptwe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on reptwe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on reptwe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on reptwe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on rep

try the program slick.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:13 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G
Threadstarter

s1l3ntm0use is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by twe90kid View Post
try the program slick.
Sweet! Thanks! Works alright for now... til the extremely small fonts drive me mad
Old 10-28-2008, 08:30 AM
Regular 'Geeker

regression is keeping up the good workregression is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1l3ntm0use View Post
Sweet! Thanks! Works alright for now... til the extremely small fonts drive me mad
I have been using OctroTalk and love it.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:44 AM
Noob
Carrier: Sprint SERO

Baffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via AIM to Baffles

Oz, included on the phone, goes through SMS. I like it because I can close the program and still get IMs without using any extra battery life.

baf.cc | GPS Toggler | Touch Pro Essentials | Got MSL?
Donations are accepted and greatly appreciated.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:45 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: P100EWW

ScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baffles View Post
Oz, included on the phone, goes through SMS. I like it because I can close the program and still get IMs without using any extra battery life.
OZ is okay, sometimes, but what really sucks is that a lot of the times, IMs can be delayed between 2-10 minutes

it makes conversations a real pain.

I could open up slick/jivetalk/OZ at the same time, and sick and jivetalk would show up instantly, and then OZ would chime in a few minutes later, with all the messages, like one huge lump sum... kind of annoying

I will try the OstraTalk, becuase Slick is CRAP on this phone, because it's not VGA-aware.

Jivetalk is okay, but it keeps crashing. It exits randomly and whatnot--not sure why.

I like slick, because it saves chat history but none of the others I have tried do this...

OZ does, sort of (it usually saves OLD history, and loses new stuff,)
Old 10-29-2008, 08:51 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
OZ is okay, sometimes, but what really sucks is that a lot of the times, IMs can be delayed between 2-10 minutes

it makes conversations a real pain.

I could open up slick/jivetalk/OZ at the same time, and sick and jivetalk would show up instantly, and then OZ would chime in a few minutes later, with all the messages, like one huge lump sum... kind of annoying

I will try the OstraTalk, becuase Slick is CRAP on this phone, because it's not VGA-aware.

Jivetalk is okay, but it keeps crashing. It exits randomly and whatnot--not sure why.

I like slick, because it saves chat history but none of the others I have tried do this...

OZ does, sort of (it usually saves OLD history, and loses new stuff,)

OctroTalk saves history in your gmail account. I like this better than Slick because with Slick, I have to have my device with me to check history. By using Octro, where ever I have access to my gmail account, I can search history....
Old 10-29-2008, 11:11 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: P100EWW

ScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by regression View Post
OctroTalk saves history in your gmail account. I like this better than Slick because with Slick, I have to have my device with me to check history. By using Octro, where ever I have access to my gmail account, I can search history....
so, it sends you a daily email, or what?

or are you talking about using Gtalk or whatever the google IM service is called?

Does it do AIM/MSN/ICQ?
Old 10-29-2008, 11:20 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
so, it sends you a daily email, or what?

or are you talking about using Gtalk or whatever the google IM service is called?

Does it do AIM/MSN/ICQ?
To use OctroTalk, you have to have a gmail account (which means you have a gtalk account...). You install OctroTalk on your device, then sign in with your google username / password. Then, you can configure legacy accounts (yahoo / aol / icq / msn). It uses something called transports to connect to those services. Whenever you chat with your buddy (on gtalk / yahoo / aol / msn / icq), it is saved in your gtalk chat history.

Your gtalk chat history is available when you are logged into gmail. It appears as a special "folder", like "sent mail". When you click on it, you see all your history listed and can click to view the transcripts.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro