PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2008, 06:35 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: PPC-6850
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

ls3mach is keeping up the good workls3mach is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Youtube

The Youtube feature has so far just been cool as hell. I know you could get Youtube working with the Mogul and probably the Apache, but it works out of the box with the Pro. It definetely isn't perfect, but I like it. My main gripe is that it doesn't follow the screen orientation. I personally am a HUGE fan of landscape. I bought this phone for it's keyboard and as such, I want to use it. When you connect it doesn't work in landscape. Searches and video work in landscape though. It seems you can bookmark videos which is cool. It also shows recent videos, which could be bad for someone but I personally love it. The videos load decent enough over EvDO and load verry nicely over my home wifi connection. It didn't do any buffering that I saw afterr the video started and it wasn't jerky even when a text came in. I didn't see an option to login and view your own videos or to upload any, but it is possible I over looked it. Overall the Youtube program needs a couple tweeks, but I think it is QUITE the improvement over previous Sprint devices. Flat out works nicely.
Old 10-25-2008, 06:45 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Physical Buttons

The physical buttons are TERRIBLE on this phone. It only has a few buttons and I hate ALL of them. The power button is in an awful spot. I have no less than 50 times turned the screen off accidenlty while using the phone. It literraly sits under my left hand's index finger and is SENSITIVE. The d-pad is awful. Left and right are difficult to use because the are in between 2 other keys. It is hard to find up and down. None of the front keys have any seperation. The volume up and down keys are in a bad spot. When the phone is slid out is is VERY difficult to use them. Also I think they should scroll inside of applications. I don't know if my last 2 PPCs did this, because I used smartsky, but I think scolling is an awesome feature. I do love however how turning the volume down works, though I think it should only be used on the home screen. When you turn it down, you get an auditory beep for each setting then a vibrate when it gets to that point. I think this is awesome for meetings and such, not that it matters if I am noisy... Really though the placement on them sucks if the phone is slid out. All buttons are hard to use. I miss my Mogul very much in this regard, no software can ever correct these issues.

EDIT
Zoom is cool, but it really needs to scroll. As I said before I don't want to zoom that often, I want to scroll all the damn time.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:15 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

TheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: Physical Buttons

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls3mach View Post
The physical buttons are TERRIBLE on this phone. It only has a few buttons and I hate ALL of them. The power button is in an awful spot. I have no less than 50 times turned the screen off accidenlty while using the phone. It literraly sits under my left hand's index finger and is SENSITIVE. The d-pad is awful. Left and right are difficult to use because the are in between 2 other keys. It is hard to find up and down. None of the front keys have any seperation. The volume up and down keys are in a bad spot. When the phone is slid out is is VERY difficult to use them. Also I think they should scroll inside of applications. I don't know if my last 2 PPCs did this, because I used smartsky, but I think scolling is an awesome feature. I do love however how turning the volume down works, though I think it should only be used on the home screen. When you turn it down, you get an auditory beep for each setting then a vibrate when it gets to that point. I think this is awesome for meetings and such, not that it matters if I am noisy... Really though the placement on them sucks if the phone is slid out. All buttons are hard to use. I miss my Mogul very much in this regard, no software can ever correct these issues.

EDIT
Zoom is cool, but it really needs to scroll. As I said before I don't want to zoom that often, I want to scroll all the damn time.
I agree. This thing is a downgrade in too many ways from the Mogul. Something truly better is needed to replace the Mogul. There won't and can't be fixes for too many things
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:34 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: The 3VO
Carrier: Sprint for service PPC geeks for eerythang else :)

toinejuan is keeping up the good worktoinejuan is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to toinejuan Send a message via Yahoo to toinejuan
Re: Anything needed with this phone?

I've read all of your post and Bundo replies, first off let me set things straight for you both. To compare the Diamond or TP, to a Mogul is completely absurd, and if you have no experience with either the Diamond or TP how can you say either is worse?
You've the phone err device for what a day? As far as the sms sent message, that's standard with win mo 6.1, there's a simple mod you can use that will stop the notification. I understand you've spend your hard earned $ and all of that, I have a Diamond now and before I had my Diamond I had a Mogul. If I was someone who didn't know any better after reading all you've had to say I wouldn't go anywhere near this phone.
The power button is way that it is to keep the true to the design of the phone. If you want to power the phone on simply pull out the stylus. I am not saying what your wrong for what you have said so far but, I just think your disposition is a bit premature. I've had my Diamond for a month now, it's a lot faster than any other PPC out there next to a TP or HD, which is essentially the same thing.
If you compare a stock Mogul to a stock Diamond there's no comparison whatsoever! I would get a few tweaks that are available for the Diamond and use them, and then hopefully this will allow you to get a better grasp on the device. Most of the things you complained about bothered you are all tweakable nay the physical buttons. I mean you are a senior member so I shouldn't have to remind you that the search button is your friend.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:51 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toinejuan View Post
I've read all of your post and Bundo replies, first off let me set things straight for you both. To compare the Diamond or TP, to a Mogul is completely absurd, and if you have no experience with either the Diamond or TP how can you say either is worse?
You've the phone err device for what a day? As far as the sms sent message, that's standard with win mo 6.1, there's a simple mod you can use that will stop the notification. I understand you've spend your hard earned $ and all of that, I have a Diamond now and before I had my Diamond I had a Mogul. If I was someone who didn't know any better after reading all you've had to say I wouldn't go anywhere near this phone.
The power button is way that it is to keep the true to the design of the phone. If you want to power the phone on simply pull out the stylus. I am not saying what your wrong for what you have said so far but, I just think your disposition is a bit premature. I've had my Diamond for a month now, it's a lot faster than any other PPC out there next to a TP or HD, which is essentially the same thing.
If you compare a stock Mogul to a stock Diamond there's no comparison whatsoever! I would get a few tweaks that are available for the Diamond and use them, and then hopefully this will allow you to get a better grasp on the device. Most of the things you complained about bothered you are all tweakable nay the physical buttons. I mean you are a senior member so I shouldn't have to remind you that the search button is your friend.
Glad to see you took notice of my status. I have been on this forum since Jan 07 and on PDAPhoneHome and TreoCentral since even before that. This is by no means my first PDA or PPC. The SMS Sent message does not happen on my WM6.1 Mogul. I have one in front of me as we speak. I know for 100% it used to happen on my 6700 and earlier versions of my Mogul, but I think it is terrible now that it is back.

I've never owned a Touch or a Touch Diamond, but I played with both. I think Tocuh Flo is SLOW. WM5 kicked it's ***. WM6 was faater too. The addons are nice looking but slow the device down considerably. I would relate it to the Treo 600 to Treo 650 fiasco. The 650 seemed so much slower due to its NAND flash.

I am glad you wouldn't go near this phone. To be honest if it was going to cost that much I would recommend it to no one. It is not worht $800. It isn't hard earned money. It is just my money. If I had to really bust my hump I would be PISSED. This phone was bot ready for the public. I like it overall though, if I wasn't a techie I would notice somethings and have no idea most of these issues exist. I have a lot more features I am going to write aboutt, I just have been talking about the ones that stick out. I could write all day about the things that are awesome about this device compared to a feature phone, but we are on PPCGEEKS, trust me these people already know...
Old 10-25-2008, 07:59 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: The 3VO
Carrier: Sprint for service PPC geeks for eerythang else :)

toinejuan is keeping up the good worktoinejuan is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to toinejuan Send a message via Yahoo to toinejuan

I am going near the phone I've been talking about this for awhile now but, if you up the glyphcache TF3D will be much smoother and faster. I love my Diamond but, the Pro is going to be my beast for awhile to come. I mean we all know there is something bigger and better on the horizon........there always is none the less though, I can't get to get my paws on a Pro and put it through its paces. I take notice to a lot of things, some I just don't bother to waste my time commenting on but glad we can agree on something.
My girlfriend is a pain too, but you know the makeup s*x is the best part Why the hell did you pay so much? Best Buy huh? I can't stand their business practices but that's off topic.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:04 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

dkincaid is keeping up the good workdkincaid is keeping up the good workdkincaid is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Glad to see you took notice of my status. I have been on this forum since Jan 07 and on PDAPhoneHome and TreoCentral since even before that. This is by no means my first PDA or PPC. The SMS Sent message does not happen on my WM6.1 Mogul. I have one in front of me as we speak. I know for 100% it used to happen on my 6700 and earlier versions of my Mogul, but I think it is terrible now that it is back.

I've never owned a Touch or a Touch Diamond, but I played with both. I think Tocuh Flo is SLOW. WM5 kicked it's ***. WM6 was faater too. The addons are nice looking but slow the device down considerably. I would relate it to the Treo 600 to Treo 650 fiasco. The 650 seemed so much slower due to its NAND flash.

I am glad you wouldn't go near this phone. To be honest if it was going to cost that much I would recommend it to no one. It is not worht $800. It isn't hard earned money. It is just my money. If I had to really bust my hump I would be PISSED. This phone was bot ready for the public. I like it overall though, if I wasn't a techie I would notice somethings and have no idea most of these issues exist. I have a lot more features I am going to write aboutt, I just have been talking about the ones that stick out. I could write all day about the things that are awesome about this device compared to a feature phone, but we are on PPCGEEKS, trust me these people already know...
I don't think many people are paying the full $750 for this phone. Most are paying <$300. IMO, completely worth it.

Last edited by dkincaid; 10-25-2008 at 08:12 PM.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:08 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkincaid View Post
I don't think many people are paying the full $750 for this phone. Most are paying >$300. IMO, completely worth it.
I will end up paying >$100 for it, but I have it today for $812, so I am here to check it out and post my opinions. If I can check or do anything for anyone I am willing to do so. Coming from a Mogul completely not worth more than $300. It has some nice features, but currently too many bugs and crappy things. Same with the Mogul though. It was not worth the upgrade price for the Mogul from the PPC-6700 when it came out. Too many software tweaks required. Though the Titan had one thing neither have, buttons...

Last edited by ls3mach; 10-25-2008 at 08:10 PM.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:28 PM
VW
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

VW is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVW is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVW is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVW is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I also upgraded to a TP for $300 from a Touch which I dearly loved. I somewhat miss my touch due to its tiny size and weightlessness (Ive already sold it), but then I turn on my TP, look at its beautiful screen, and feel great about my purchase.

Here's my mini-review: This device is elegant, absolutely a work of art. Occasionally it gets a tad laggy, but otherwise this device has been flawless. I can say it has not been buggy for me. In fact as far as WinMo devices go, this one is clearly heads and shoulders above the rest. Every WinMo device has needed tweaking from factory state. Not this one IMO. I may actually stay with TF3d for the immediate future. It works pretty well and looks awesome. The youtube app also works well, but I wish it gave me a way to sign into my youtube account. Perhaps it does and I dont recognize it. I will not use Sprint Music but PocketPlayer runs fine

The only problem I have had is getting WMWiFiRouter .91 to work correctly but its certainly no deal breaker.

I was willing to pay up to $400 for this phone, and based on my limited time with it (today and yesterday), the pros greatly outweigh the cons, and this is the best WinMo phone out there (with the possible exception of the experia)

So I guess I respectlyfully disagree with LS3s and Bundos comments, but post more pics of your cute gf .
Old 10-25-2008, 11:35 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Visor Prism (old) -> Dell Axim X30 Hi -> HTC Apache -> HTC Mogul -> HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint SERO: 500 Fair and Flexible ($30/mo unlimited everything, 500 min)

nerdtalker is keeping up the good worknerdtalker is keeping up the good work
Re: Some good things

Quote:
DAMN that photo sucks. Sorry I didn't get it in focus too well, it typically says "HTC" and it looks cool as hell.
Woah it lights up!? I haven't even plugged mine in, just been using all my old HTC chargers and plugs and cables (I literally have about 5 after all the HTC devices I've been through). Might have to swap it out for that cool logo though! Wow!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro