PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2008, 05:46 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: PPC-6850
Carrier: Sprint

ls3mach is keeping up the good workls3mach is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Anything needed with this phone?

My girlfriend is pissed at me, don't ask, so I've got some time. Do we need a ROM dump? Anything that hasn't been checked that needs to happen? Also, I heard the site was down, for the weather, which IS NOT the case. Mine updates just fine over wifi, it won't over EvDO though. I haven't got to use the TV out yet, as I cannot find a cable ANYWHERE. I checked 6 local stores too. I was willing to overnight one, but can't even find a place for that. The TouchFlo is cool, but completely AWFUL when using it in landscape. I need a program like Smartsky for this device. The "home" should be "start" if you hold it and the "back" should "close" the program. An ok button wouldn't hurt either. The "flashlight" program does work, but will not turn the flash off. It works AWESOME as a USB drive fresh out of the box. The camera is pretty decent. I haven't figured out how to make picture mail come to your phone automatically without polling, which sucks big time. The SMS sent message is a HUGE step back in my opinion and predictive text doesn't seem to function either. Overall I think the phone is nice, but I paid $812 for mine after tax. It certainly has too many bugs for a phone of that price. I started this thread as a place holder, I will go overr each feature I think...
Old 10-25-2008, 05:51 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

TheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: Anything needed with this phone?

I was afraid this phone had the possibility of even more issues than the Mogul. And the lack of buttons will never get fixed. I've only had a few out-of-memory issues in 15 months, so that's not a biggie. Bluetooth issues have been worse, and daily. But I'm thinking that the getting a TP might be jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire
Old 10-25-2008, 05:54 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

The Keyboard.

I think the keyboard has a good numberr of buttons. I personally wish the were bubbled a bit more, but the size isn't inconvient to use. I felt the Palm Centro keys were too small, but think the keys on the Touch Pro are a good choice. The backlight SUCKS. Anyone remember the PPC-6700. The Apache had terrible backlighting, this isn't much better. In darkness the corners of this device are hardly visable. I also haven't seen an option to change the duration of the backlight, which I think is too short. Another thng I don't like is the keys don't light up until you press a button. I understand eventually I will know where to press, but for the time being it just plain sucks. I don't think the Mogul acted any differently, but it seems unituitive. I feel that every button should have 2 functions, as is the case only about half are dual function. Tactile feedback is good. Otherwise the shining light of this keyboard is the dedicated number pad. I think this is nice, but I really liked the numbers being in a 10 key-type design on the Mogul.

Any other questions just ask.

EDIT

I forgot to mention that the d-pad is terrible. Left and right are between "home" and "answer" and "back" and "disconnect", respectively. It is terribly inconvient to hit these keys. I also am having a hard time making it go up and down between links in the web browser. I like that you can zoom, but would prefer that scroll. I don't need to zoom all the time, I like to set the zoom and go on about my business.

Last edited by ls3mach; 10-25-2008 at 06:08 PM.
Old 10-25-2008, 05:57 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBundo View Post
I was afraid this phone had the possibility of even more issues than the Mogul. And the lack of buttons will never get fixed. I've only had a few out-of-memory issues in 15 months, so that's not a biggie. Bluetooth issues have been worse, and daily. But I'm thinking that the getting a TP might be jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire
The lack of physical buttons is KILLING me. I can't close ****. I never had a major problem with memory, because I almost always closed my applications when done. Let me not lead you astray. The memory issue is STILL there, you just have tons more to deal with the problem. I haven't used anything bluetooth yet, but can test most anything regarding this.

Also let me note, I apologize for any typos or ramblings. I've been drinking vodka for a few hours, again not why the little woman is being pissy, so I am doing the best I can. lolol
Old 10-25-2008, 06:04 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Messaging

The messaging app is almost identical to the Mogul and every other WM6.1 phone I've used. One good thing though is that it allows you to turn threading off, which I have noticed made my Mogul SLOW. The messaging app isn't overly snappy, but seems so far, faster than my Mogul. I HATE that predictive text isn't working. It also doesn't autoamtically add contractions or capitalize the "I". The high point of this application is that you now have picture mail. It seems to work fairly well. I haven't recieved a photo yet, except from myself or other Moguls, so I don't know how it works exactly. What I did notice was that you have a send/recieve option. It seems to only recieve when you hit the button. It might recieve when you send, but I haven't tested this yet. It also has the option to send a sound, I haven't got that to work yet though. I assume it does. I didn't see a place to insert a pre-recorded sound, though I can't imagine why someone couldn't make that happen.

Let me know if you have any questions.

EDIT
Text do NOT pop over what you are currently doing. I am not sure if this is changeable or not, or if I even like it. I just wanted to note this. Currently I appreciate this as a feature, since it gives you the notification, but doesn't interrupt your work.

Last edited by ls3mach; 10-25-2008 at 06:36 PM.
Old 10-25-2008, 06:07 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

dkincaid is keeping up the good workdkincaid is keeping up the good workdkincaid is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls3mach View Post
My girlfriend is pissed at me, don't ask, so I've got some time. Do we need a ROM dump? Anything that hasn't been checked that needs to happen? Also, I heard the site was down, for the weather, which IS NOT the case. Mine updates just fine over wifi, it won't over EvDO though. I haven't got to use the TV out yet, as I cannot find a cable ANYWHERE. I checked 6 local stores too. I was willing to overnight one, but can't even find a place for that. The TouchFlo is cool, but completely AWFUL when using it in landscape. I need a program like Smartsky for this device. The "home" should be "start" if you hold it and the "back" should "close" the program. An ok button wouldn't hurt either. The "flashlight" program does work, but will not turn the flash off. It works AWESOME as a USB drive fresh out of the box. The camera is pretty decent. I haven't figured out how to make picture mail come to your phone automatically without polling, which sucks big time. The SMS sent message is a HUGE step back in my opinion and predictive text doesn't seem to function either. Overall I think the phone is nice, but I paid $812 for mine after tax. It certainly has too many bugs for a phone of that price. I started this thread as a place holder, I will go overr each feature I think...
Yeah...so, what happened with the girlfriend!? haha
Old 10-25-2008, 06:10 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkincaid View Post
Yeah...so, what happened with the girlfriend!? haha
Man, it is a completely inappropriate thing to be talking about on here. I will however upload a couple photos I took of her with the new camera. Damn she is cute...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0002.jpg (636.9 KB, 96 views) Click for barcode!
File Type: jpg IMAG0003.jpg (568.2 KB, 74 views) Click for barcode!
Old 10-25-2008, 06:11 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

dkincaid is keeping up the good workdkincaid is keeping up the good workdkincaid is keeping up the good work

Apparently, according to your post, she hates you now though.......can you PM me her number? haha
Old 10-25-2008, 06:14 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkincaid View Post
Apparently, according to your post, she hates you now though.......can you PM me her number? haha
lolol
Cute isn't she?

Nah man, she just drank too much and is in bed sleeping. I love her a lot and would track your number down and pound your head in if you called or text her. You know the jealous type.

The next post is going to be a positive one. Not too sure what I will talk about yet. If no one replies though, I may stop, I don't want to talk and no one care.
Old 10-25-2008, 06:22 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Some good things

This phone comes usuable as a flash drive. That to me is HUGE. I wasn't too thrilled with the charger, but now I am, let me tell you why. The charger is a 2 piece deal. The first connector is a USB-A-Mini the second connector is a USB-A. The charger itself is USB-A. I was thinking damn that is stupid, but I found out that cable will connect you to your PC without an extra program. That is right, no more WM5 hack with that USB program, sorry I can't remember it. When I got my PPC-6700, I used to have to have drivers to use my phone as a USB drive. Now I can connect it to almost any PC with USB input and have 4+GB avaialbe to me as storage. This is AWESOME. The charger looks sweet as **** too. It lights up. By the way I just took that photo then connected my phone. Used to I would either have to transport my Transflash or email iti to myself. This is way more convienent.

This isn't all the good things, I just thoght I would take a break from the things that might be a let down or were not as nice as expected.

EDIT
DAMN that photo sucks. Sorry I didn't get it in focus too well, it typically says "HTC" and it looks cool as hell.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0009.jpg (323.2 KB, 81 views) Click for barcode!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro