PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2008, 11:34 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Moment
Carrier: Sprint

tphone is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Touch Pro Video output format?

Did a search, and besides the 'will have video output but you need the cable' I was unable to find the answer.
Does anyone know the TYPE of video the Touch Pro will output? For me, the ideal answer would be vga (the cable, not the resolution, like a computer monitor input) so it could go directly to a projector. It will probably be composite video though because there are only 11 pins on the usb connector. Although they would then have to be concerned about different video standards for different countries.
This would be the ultimate VGA cable/projector tester at work for me if it's 15 pin VGA output.
Might even be able to write it off as a tool.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:15 PM
Timeless
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

TurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to TurboFool Send a message via MSN to TurboFool Send a message via Yahoo to TurboFool
Re: Touch Pro Video output format?

I would be extremely shocked if it's VGA, honestly. The primary market for doing this is, I assume, to hook up to a television, so they'd go with the lowest common denominator: composite.

That said, with this day and age of DVI-I/HDMI, it's not impossible for them to go with something that could pin-out to that, which of course can then become component, VGA, DVI-D, or HDMI. But I think the processing for that would be too intensive.

What sort of projector do you have? All the projectors I use (primarily Epson PowerLites) have composite inputs in addition to VGA and others.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:20 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Moment
Threadstarter

tphone is becoming a great contributor

Well, I work at a convention center doing (among other things) AV setup. A VGA output would enable me to test the connection between the lectern computer and the projector. We use VGA at 1024x768 as standard on multiple brands of projectors. While I in no way expect that resolution, even 640x480 would enable me to test that all the colors work.
Anything between epson's and sanyo's up to Barco's and Christie's. Though more often that not we use cat5 or fiber for the big boys.
A VGA out would save me carrying a VGA tester or Laptop to each room.
How convieniant would that be?
Old 06-10-2008, 02:25 PM
Timeless

TurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to TurboFool Send a message via MSN to TurboFool Send a message via Yahoo to TurboFool

Sounds extremely convenient, and I'm with you. In IT, it's amazing how many of my toys come in handy for testing (I pull out my Zune when testing audio issues, my microSD card and SD/USB adapter for reprogramming Treos, etc.), so I'm completely with you on how useful that would be. Sadly I'm not optimistic that your need will be met. It's just too niche, and with composite being everywhere, and DVI/HDMI taking over as the easiest high-end format, I suspect we'll see less and less support for VGA.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:41 PM
Elite Team Member
Pocket PC: 6700, 6800, 6900, 6850, Q, i730, Athena tp2 ++++
Carrier: Sprint and ATT

AstainHellbring is a VIPAstainHellbring is a VIPAstainHellbring is a VIPAstainHellbring is a VIPAstainHellbring is a VIPAstainHellbring is a VIPAstainHellbring is a VIPAstainHellbring is a VIPAstainHellbring is a VIPAstainHellbring is a VIPAstainHellbring is a VIP

My bet would be on component instead of composite seems the world is moving to component style instead of composite

Donate to TP2 Elite Team: http://alturl.com/5in6
Old 06-10-2008, 03:18 PM
Timeless

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstainHellbring View Post
My bet would be on component instead of composite seems the world is moving to component style instead of composite
There's nothing component can do that composite can't when you consider the limitations of the Touch Pro (640x480), and the disadvantages of component (five connections instead of three, connections are only on the BACK of TVs, the majority of TVs still don't have this connection [remember, HDTVs are still in a minority of homes]) clearly cancel out the every-so-slightly-improved color fidelity of component. Anyway, the world's really NOT moving to component, the world's moving to HDMI. Component was a stop-gap analog solution that was just barely catching on when HDMI appeared and rendered it obsolete. Unless you have a game system like an early Xbox 360 or a Wii, there's really very little that uses component that can't also use the superior HDMI. Component's just still around for the older stopgap TVs.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:25 PM
Retired Moderator
Pocket PC: NULL
Carrier: NULL

[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level

I think it'll be composite as well. It just seems the most cost effective, plus, like said above, people will mainly be connecting them to their TV's.

I'm almost certain they wouldn't do HDMI. It would take too much processing power. I'd also assume it would drive costs up a bit. HDMI has the capability of outputting 1GB per second, which is WAYYYY above what a PPC would need.

Last edited by [sammich]; 06-10-2008 at 03:27 PM.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:34 PM
Timeless

Quote:
Originally Posted by saumaun View Post
I think it'll be composite as well. It just seems the most cost effective, plus, like said above, people will mainly be connecting them to their TV's.

I'm almost certain they wouldn't do HDMI. It would take too much processing power. I'd also assume it would drive costs up a bit. HDMI has the capability of outputting 1GB per second, which is WAYYYY above what a PPC would need.
To be fair, they don't necessarily need to max out the capabilities of HDMI for this. They don't need to use the full bandwidth of the cable, and in theory it wouldn't take anything special to process HDMI at only 640x480, since it's just a digital DVI signal. That said, I still agree it would be unlikely overkill.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:07 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

NissanGuy01 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by saumaun View Post
HDMI has the capability of outputting 1GB per second, which is WAYYYY above what a PPC would need.

RIght now...I can't wait til a PPC needs something like that.

Even though it is quite a few years off.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:56 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: TP

aughsum is a n00b

i want hdmi so i figure that wont happen.
RAZR2 - secondary
_______
HTC Mogul
HTC Apache
a900 -secondary
Motorola i870
Morotola i830
REM Blackberry 6200
REM Blackberry 7100
Motorola i860
Motorola i830
Motorola i730