PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2010, 09:12 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro (RAPH 500)
Carrier: Verizon

x4osw0n is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Linux/Android on CDMA Touch Pro (RAPH500/XV6850))

The point of this thread is to differentiate it from it's close cousin the RAPH800. There are unique challenges to getting Android/Linux/XDAndroid to run on this platform.

While the phones on the surface are identical (we can load the same Rom's on them in the windows world), the same versions of XDAndroid etc do NOT work on our phones. The problem seems to be in the Kernel images, and from what little I can discern, the boot cycle quits in the same spot with each new version.

I have been unable to find the specifics, as I am not versed in kernel development (or GIT for that matter).

For anyone willing to take a look, I can provide resources to the latest versions I have managed to get running on my 500. I am also 100% willing to test this thoroughly on my phone if that is all that is needed. I can't offer a bounty yet (outside of beer money) but maybe down the road a bit.

~edit~
Here is my current version that I have running. At one point I had phone (but no mic or speaker) but no I don't have data. I would strongly suggest mix and match with regards to some of the files, though as far as I know this is the most recent zimage that actually boots on the RAPH500. The startup is a minor modification of one I got from a user named Praxidike who was the last person who did any RAPH500 development.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1258598/Curr...o%20data%29.7z

Last edited by x4osw0n; 05-15-2010 at 02:47 PM. Reason: adding file link
Old 05-13-2010, 10:45 AM
Testing Extraordinaire
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (RHOD400)
Carrier: Sprint

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Re: Linux/Android on CDMA Touch Pro (RAPH500/XV6850))

So you did get it running on your 500? I don't have one, but could you post your build so others with a 500 can benefit?

I think I have a really old build over @ ConnectUTB, I can dig it up if you wish. Unfortunately, there's no one developing for the 500, to my knowledge we don't even have anyone developing on the 800 any more....
Old 05-13-2010, 10:50 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

x4osw0n is a n00b

From what I gather the current build of XDAndroid supports the 800, though there may be some tweaking to do (this was as of a day or two ago; I know the build right before that broke on the 800).

The old build you are referring to is probably my own frankenbuild with an old zimage, etc.

It runs but I can't get data to work on it. the old zimage still works with the newest builds of xdandroid but a lot of the basic stuff still won't work until we can get the kernel support updated. so stuff like the mic, speaker, data, gps etc is still offlined.

Isn't Makkonen still working on the CDMA/800 builds?
Old 05-13-2010, 10:53 AM
Testing Extraordinaire

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community

Makk is still involved to some degree, but I don't think he contributes much code for the 800. Especially since he has a TP2 now

I have a completely functional build working on my 800, I'm just saying it's not getting much in the way of developer attention either!

So can you post your build for others to benefit? I'd like to compare to see what I have for the 500 users. I can't test it, but I don't mind helping provide resources for it.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:59 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

x4osw0n is a n00b

I talked to Mak today via gitorious messages; looks like he may be getting his hands on a 500 handset soon so we may see more movement there (WOOT!!)
Old 05-14-2010, 04:24 PM
Testing Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by x4osw0n View Post
I talked to Mak today via gitorious messages; looks like he may be getting his hands on a 500 handset soon so we may see more movement there (WOOT!!)
Dude, can you upload what you have?!? I've been waiting...
Old 05-14-2010, 04:58 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

x4osw0n is a n00b

I suck. I was goofing around and broke what I had. got to backtrack now, been 'working' most of the day. post it in about an hour.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:02 PM
Testing Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by x4osw0n View Post
I suck. I was goofing around and broke what I had. got to backtrack now, been 'working' most of the day. post it in about an hour.
LOL no worries. Post it in #1, so this thread can serve as a point for all with the 500.

I'd just like to compare with what I have for the 500. Wish I could test it, oh well!
Old 05-15-2010, 09:07 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Rhodium
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Overmann is just getting started

As long as you keep rolling out new versions, I have a RAPH500 to try it on as well. It's real funny to have Android on a Windows Phone.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:49 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Titan

Nativedude is a n00b

The problem is definitely the zImage, which is the kernel of the linux OS
Somewhere along the lines of development for the RAPH800 they lost support for the RAPH500
Praxidike was able to pinpoint and correct this for one of the older kernels which gave us phone but no data, just before he disappeared he said he had one with working data
But since he's gone and none of the RAPH800 developers have a 500 no one knows where the code needs to be changed, thus no more 500 development

So we are at a stand still till we get someone familiar enough with the Linux kernel to make the correct changes, then we can implement all the fixes that the 800 has and be on par with them

BTW: I have a Nexus One and Love it, so anyone on the fence about getting any of HTC's Android phones, don't be, GO Android

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro