PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2010, 09:20 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Sprint TP
Carrier: MetroPCS

juicy.cook is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Windows 7 Port?

Just wondering if it would be possible. Engadget posted a chart with the differences and it seems that windows 7 has to have a search button. I guess you could always map it somewhere on the device. Such as a long-hold of the back button. Cannot wait until someone gets to work on it once its released. I would try except for i have no idea how to do anything like that. D=.

link to blog post:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/15/w...s-mobile-past/
Old 02-15-2010, 11:19 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro (CDMA)
Carrier: Sprint

takimaki is a n00b
Re: Windows 7 Port?

I think the issue will be the CPU (and are they using a GPU?). I would assume nothing less than a 1ghz snapdragon will do the job for Windows Phone 7. Unfortunately, both the TP1 and TP2 are quite short in the cpu department, coming in at 528mhz...and thats a previous generation cpu as well, so its even more underpowered than you think.

You never know what the cooks on here and xda can do, though...but it won't be the full-featured OS, no way.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:59 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

zero157h7 knows their stuffzero157h7 knows their stuffzero157h7 knows their stuffzero157h7 knows their stuffzero157h7 knows their stuffzero157h7 knows their stuffzero157h7 knows their stuff
Send a message via ICQ to zero157h7 Send a message via AIM to zero157h7 Send a message via MSN to zero157h7 Send a message via Yahoo to zero157h7 Send a message via Skype™ to zero157h7

Is it possible? Anything is possible so I will not say no.

Is it likely? I do not want to doubt this community but it will not be soon and it will not be easy. It is running on a different Windows CE kernel. People have been trying to get this kernel working on our devices for a while and have not been successful. This is an entirely different prospect than flashing a rom.

Would you want to? Some of the videos I saw today seemed to have a little lag, and you know they were running it on a blazing processor that leaves most current wm7 phones in the dust. I think my TP started getting hot in my pocket from me watching the video.

In closing, just enjoy what you have until you can upgrade to a new device.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:53 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: US Cellular

ropp29 is a n00b

I don't know. Knowing how dedicated some of the rom chef's here and at XDA are, I wouldn't be surprised if someone at least attempts it. But I do have my doubts; even a bare-bones 6.5 rom is laggy at times on my Touch Pro, so I can't imagine WM7 running very smoothly. I'd love to see someone try though. And nothing will happen soon, as we'll have to wait for a beta to leak before anyone could attempt it.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro