PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2010, 11:14 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: A Perma-Temp Rooted HTC EVO 3D
Carrier: Sprint

RidleyJ329 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRidleyJ329 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRidleyJ329 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRidleyJ329 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRidleyJ329 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint PPC6850SP)

... to make a claim on something that can be fixed by using a custom rom? what i mean by that while the stock, the semi-updated one from september, when ever i go to the ppcgeeks full site my opera always crashes but i can access the mobile version with absolutly no problem. now i know if i simply upgrade my opera or install any custom rom that would fix the problem and i can go about my day. the only think is that i came accross a thread the other day from someone who suggested to load the stock rom and note any legit issues i have in order to try to aquire a "free" upgrade to the tp2. i really want one but dont want to go about the wrong way so thought id try and get any second opinions before trying my luck at any of my local repair stores.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:32 AM
Account Disabled
Pocket PC: HTC Shooter/Schubert 32GB
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Re: would it be considered fraudulant...

i think that if stock doesn't work, it's a defect. besides, with everyone who has already scammed for one, you might as well get one while you can!
Old 02-05-2010, 11:32 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Vogue/Touch Pro/Touch Pro 2/HTC Evo 4G

champ052005 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularchamp052005 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularchamp052005 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularchamp052005 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to champ052005

Hmm...I'm gonna try to answer this the best way I can without starting a thread that is filled with arguments lol.

Did you try to soft reset and try loading it up again? Possibly install Skyfire (I'm not sure it it will work on the stock ROM, but its worth a shot.)

If those dont work, do you go on PPC Geeks often from your phone? Is it something that really really gets to you? A lot of the times, it seems as if the stock ROMs prefer mobile sites as opposed to the full site. There might be a cab out there that can fix it. It would seem like a quick fix. Maybe a Sprint provisioning cab, or a internet fix cab.

As far as custom ROMs go, Sprint opposes them anyway. So technically you could call them since you are having a problem with the internet. (Since they think you are only running stock anyway.) Its worth a shot to call them but I dont think they would upgrade you to the TP2 just because the phone will not access full sites. It seems they are catching on to this trick. Goodluck OP!

Last edited by champ052005; 02-05-2010 at 11:41 AM.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:57 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro/Touch Diamond/BlackBerry Tour 9630

basilray knows their stuffbasilray knows their stuffbasilray knows their stuffbasilray knows their stuffbasilray knows their stuffbasilray knows their stuffbasilray knows their stuff
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Ignorance is bliss...

But, I do have to say that if you have the knowledge to overcome the issue, it would be considered fraudulent. Will Sprint enforce that? Absolutely not, but that doesn't mean it is right.

The people who have used this method to obtain a TP2 have only kept others from getting the device at a lower price. How many phones can you give away if you suddenly aren't selling them? See where I'm going with this?

That said, the decision is your's and your's only. Do what you feel is right.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:02 PM
Account Disabled
Pocket PC: HTC Shooter/Schubert 32GB

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilray View Post
The people who have used this method to obtain a TP2 have only kept others from getting the device at a lower price. How many phones can you give away if you suddenly aren't selling them? See where I'm going with this?
i like this! someone actually posted yesterday that the tp2 was made just to exchange all the tps. i guess that $349.99 price is just for show lol.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:05 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint Sero

hamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

ok lets this of sprint as toyota. the touch pro software as a gas pedal.

sure anyone can fix the gas pedal themselves but toyota is telling people not to and to bring it to a dealship to have it fixed.

now no one is going to crash because of the software on the touch pro (maybe....) but it's the same concept. only sprint isn't doing a recall on the touch pro. sure a custom rom will work better than the stock rom, but if you send your phone to them with a custom rom, they won't accept it. in sprints eyes they would rather send you an updated phone with less issues than have you run a custom rom on the tp. otherwise they would be suggesting to us to run a custom rom to fix half our issues.

i disagree with basilray. i don't think it is fraud in any way. while we have the knowledge to overcome the issues, sprint does not want us to go about it this way. if you called up tech support and told them hey i'm having issues on the stock rom but not on a custom rom. they are not going to tell you to run the custom rom. infact they will prob. blame the problems with the stock rom on the fact that you have installed a custom rom at some point. where is the fraud in sending it back to them? it may be a moral issue for some but it is not a fraud issue.

hopefully my analogy doesn't confuse anyone lol
Old 02-05-2010, 01:07 PM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamagc View Post
ok lets this of sprint as toyota. the touch pro software as a gas pedal.

sure anyone can fix the gas pedal themselves but toyota is telling people not to and to bring it to a dealship to have it fixed.

now no one is going to crash because of the software on the touch pro (maybe....) but it's the same concept. only sprint isn't doing a recall on the touch pro. sure a custom rom will work better than the stock rom, but if you send your phone to them with a custom rom, they won't accept it. in sprints eyes they would rather send you an updated phone with less issues than have you run a custom rom on the tp. otherwise they would be suggesting to us to run a custom rom to fix half our issues.

i disagree with basilray. i don't think it is fraud in any way. while we have the knowledge to overcome the issues, sprint does not want us to go about it this way. if you called up tech support and told them hey i'm having issues on the stock rom but not on a custom rom. they are not going to tell you to run the custom rom. infact they will prob. blame the problems with the stock rom on the fact that you have installed a custom rom at some point. where is the fraud in sending it back to them? it may be a moral issue for some but it is not a fraud issue.

hopefully my analogy doesn't confuse anyone lol
I think for some people their TP crashing is worse than their car.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:29 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO/no root

jpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to jpwhre Send a message via MSN to jpwhre Send a message via Yahoo to jpwhre

www.forum.ppcgeeks.com try that on stock sprint rom. bad news is you can't post. ppcgeeks.com takes you to the news page and it will always and forever crash any and all tp running stock 6.1 sprint rom. that in mind, download opera 10 from www.opera.com/mobile/ with your phone and after installing to sd card sellect "set as default" you keep stock 9.5 and can launch it from programs
Old 02-05-2010, 02:38 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: A Perma-Temp Rooted HTC EVO 3D
Threadstarter

RidleyJ329 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRidleyJ329 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRidleyJ329 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRidleyJ329 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRidleyJ329 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint PPC6850SP)

i know all the tricks to fix it...custom rom, update opera, or install diff browser. but as far as stock im just curious as to if sprint can do anything to fix it. yes, i do frequent the site often from my phone. i prefer the full site as apposed to the mobile version and this is the only site that i can not pull up the full version of. i understand that this maybe something minor that can be fixed which is why i asked for any second opinions so i dont fall into the bucket of "scammers" out. my point is that the stock doesnt work just like its suppose and should i be expected to fix something i didnt break. there times i like to brown the site and reply to threads eventhough i dont have a very high post count i at least like to have the option and its just annoying to have to go to another browser.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:48 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO/no root

jpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to jpwhre Send a message via MSN to jpwhre Send a message via Yahoo to jpwhre

sprint could fix it if they cared. my guess is with the endless amounts of issues this device has had for sprint, 1gh+ processors coming, and the posiblity of new devices with wm7 coming around the corner. it just wont happen. it is the specific opera build used in sprint stock rom that has the issues and i doubt that a 6.5 update with a better built opera is released. thus you have options of don't visit the site without putting forum in the prl (still full site but reply box ix greyed out) download a newer build of opera yourself (opera builds update often so it is a good general idea anyway) or buy a differant phone.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro