PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2009, 10:28 PM
Linux Administrator
Pocket PC: HTC Evo -- Rooted
Carrier: Sprint SERO Premium

BooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Touch Pro and Touch Pro 2 GPS polling tweaks

I have been fighting with the gps lag for a while, and I have found a registry tweak that helps a little. The WinMo Intermediate GPS driver only polls the gps every so often and then it buffers some of the data. I've found some settings that seem to have made the lag a little less noticeable. Granted its not a 100% fix, but it does seem to help with the polling.

The registry edits are below, but I have also made a .cab file that contains these tweaks for easy installation. You can also remove the .cab install if you want to go back to stock.

Edit registry with the following entries: Under: HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\
- Drivers\GpsOneDevice\PollInterval -> 100 (default is 1000)
- Drivers\InputBufferSize -> 512 (default is 4096)
- Drivers\OutputBufferSize -> 512 (default is 4096)
- Drivers\SleepOnNoData -> 100 (default is 1000)
- Multiplexer\MaxBufferSize -> 512 (by default not present, you have to create it)

OR, if your not to keen on making the registry edits yourself, feel free to download and use the cab I created and attached in this post. All it does is create/change the entries as outlined above.

I also take no credit for coming up with the fix, I found the post over at XDA, and thanks goes out to omega01 for suggesting the registry settings. I simply just cabbed them up and made it into a nice installable/removable fix. This should work with both the Touch Pro and the Touch Pro 2.

Feedback is appreciated, and if it works great for you as it did me, just hit the "Thanks" button.

Yup, Thats the actual speeds I get from my 1U production server
If my posts have been helpful in any way, please click the "Thanks" button --------------------------------> ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:43 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic S2
Carrier: sprint

saj070 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsaj070 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsaj070 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsaj070 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: Touch Pro and Touch Pro 2 GPS polling tweaks

Thankyou i will try it out first thing tomorrow when i drive to work. Will report back on findings

Today is too late i am watching footbal and it a great game Saints V pats
Old 12-01-2009, 12:05 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC/Vz Touch Pro
Carrier: VzW

Big Calhoun is a n00b

I've tried these tweaks on a VzW version and they weren't any help. IIRC, changing the poll interval really took a hit on my battery life.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:22 AM
Regular 'Geeker

saj070 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsaj070 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsaj070 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsaj070 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Calhoun View Post
I've tried these tweaks on a VzW version and they weren't any help. IIRC, changing the poll interval really took a hit on my battery life.

so you saying battery life drain faster ???
Old 12-01-2009, 02:09 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

GreeNova is keeping up the good workGreeNova is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by saj070 View Post
so you saying battery life drain faster ???
Turning up the polling interval on any device or sensor on these phones will suck the battery quicker for sure. But, I guess it is a trade-off. And, I typically have mine plugged in when I am using it as a GPS.

I haven't had the chance to try the edits out yet, but I will tomorrow and post y results.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:49 AM
Linux Administrator
Threadstarter

BooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuff

I havent been able to use my GPS much today, so I cant say how it did on battery life. I will try to get out and about tomorrow to test the battery life with a GPS app running. Thanks again for the feedback... keep it coming

Hey GreeNova, I noticed in your sig about the online CAB creator... if you need someone to host it, let me know my friend! I run a small hosting company, and I would host it for ya! ( I wasnt able to get the address in your sig to resolve ).
Old 12-01-2009, 12:47 PM
Regular 'Geeker

ok i have tried your cab and here my findings

i have 2 second lag before now i have 1.8 second lag so there is no difference with naked eye. you can still see the lag . i think it takes 1 -2 seconds for gps to update that why we are seeing the lag...

battery i used it for 1 hour straight driving to work and i used 20% of my battery that is a lot considering it used to use 3% of battery prior to the cab.

Thanks for trying but i am going back to stock setting so i delete the cab soft reset i hope it goes back to original setting

t

Last edited by saj070; 12-01-2009 at 01:16 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:45 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

GreeNova is keeping up the good workGreeNova is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooDaddy View Post
I havent been able to use my GPS much today, so I cant say how it did on battery life. I will try to get out and about tomorrow to test the battery life with a GPS app running. Thanks again for the feedback... keep it coming

Hey GreeNova, I noticed in your sig about the online CAB creator... if you need someone to host it, let me know my friend! I run a small hosting company, and I would host it for ya! ( I wasnt able to get the address in your sig to resolve ).
Hey, thanks for the offer, but the site is not mine. I just went to the link and it worked. Maybe there was a slight hiccup on the server when you tried it - http://triton.homeip.net/RegistryChanger/

I just added the link to my sig since I found the site useful and I haven't see any post about the site.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:47 PM
Linux Administrator
Threadstarter

Cool. Its back up now! That is a handy site
Old 12-01-2009, 03:58 PM
RSD
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Verizon Touch Pro2

RSD is just getting started

I checked the setting on my old Verizon 6800 (HTC Tytan) and noticed the Poll Interval was set to "1". So I changed settings on Verizon Touch Pro2 to be the same and now see just a lag of 1 to 2 secs and a whole lot better than before and almost the same as the built in GPS in the car.

Edit registry with the following entries: Under: HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\
- Drivers\GpsOneDevice\PollInterval -> 100 (default is 1000)

** I changed mine to "1" after trying with "100" (100 helped but not significantly) **

I have not tried out to see what it does for the battery but I always plug it in while using GPS.

..Ramesh

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2