PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you experience any GPS lag?
I notice the lag in all aspects, and every application 12 32.43%
I notice lag when walking, but not driving 2 5.41%
I notice lag when driving only 9 24.32%
I have not noticed any lag at all 14 37.84%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2009, 03:34 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint SERO Premium

mswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Touch Pro GPS lag

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldehoyos View Post
I'm confused. You want to know if we experienced lag on our old Touch Pros or on our TP2?
Not that it matters to me as I did not experience lag on my TP.... Although my TP2 is even faster on GPS than my TP I wouldn't call it lag. My wife uses the TP and we sometimes run telenav simultaneously and it just sounds like an echo. Mine gives direction and hers follows.
p.
Exactly my experience between Diamond and Touch Pro 2 running iGuidance side by side.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:14 PM
Linux Administrator
Pocket PC: HTC Evo -- Rooted
Threadstarter

BooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuff

Well, GOOD NEWS! changing the polling frequency actually made a pretty noticeable difference! Instead of updating once per second, I have set my GPS intermediate driver to update every 100ms. This seems to reduce the lag quite a bit. I have also cabbed up the registry edits in a nice easy to use installer cab that is also removable in case you want to go back to stock settings.
Heres what to try:
A. With Advanced config 3.2 http://www.touchxperience.com/fr/out…ol-32-cab.html
1. disable A-GPS
2. disable GPS logging
3. logfile name must be empty
4. old logfile name must be empty
5. maximum size of logfile must be 0
6 delete the files : \windows\GPSLogFile.txt and \windows\GPSLogFileBack.txt
7. it seems that if TomTom is installed on a fast microSD decrease the lag(have to test to be sure)
With those changes car usage will be quite perfect

Then install my registry settings cab that has been attached at the bottom of this thread. Once its installed, soft reset your phone so the settings will take effect. I will create a new thread with the details and for feedback.

Yup, Thats the actual speeds I get from my 1U production server
If my posts have been helpful in any way, please click the "Thanks" button --------------------------------> ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓
Old 11-30-2009, 10:24 PM
VIP Member

mswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuff

The GPS System only updates ONCE a second.
You're gonna get the same data 10 times.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:38 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC hero
Carrier: Sprint

jjday7 is keeping up the good workjjday7 is keeping up the good work

did a Trial run today with Iguidance vs sprint nav and got the same gps lag that I was getting before. I haven't tried it on my new phone yet because I am not sure if I will be keeping it. The lag wouldn't be that bad on city streets but when you calculate a 500 ft lag on a highway going 75 miles an hr, that could cause a problem with a exit approaching quickly.

I compared that to my mio gps in my car and that was dead on with no lag whatsoever. I like telenav better because of the constant updates. Really hope the fix above is a good workaround
Old 11-30-2009, 10:40 PM
Linux Administrator
Threadstarter

BooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuff

Try the cab I posted above and see if it helps. I noticed a difference in mine. Let us know if it makes a diff.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:02 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC/Vz Touch Pro
Carrier: VzW

Big Calhoun is a n00b

Well, I'll preface this by saying that I'm a tech and probably spend 2 hrs/day driving from ticket to ticket. I also like driving and weekend road trips (when I have a completely free weekend, that is). So GPS and navigation is and has been a part of my daily routine for several years. With that being said...

There IS something different between the TP and the TP2 relative to the speed of the GPS updates. On the TP, I experienced no lag when using a bluetooth puck. Once VzW unlocked the GPS, I'd say I experienced about a 1.5 to 2 sec lag with the on-board chip while driving. Very manageable and usable.

With the TP2, my lag has increased to about 6-8 seconds with the on-board chip and about 1.5 when using a puck. Again, while driving. I have tried a variety of things...the advance config tweaks, GPSGate, playing with the registry and have had little luck. The best results I got were from using GPSGate which decreased the lag with the on-board chip to about 2-3 seconds. Doable, yes. But when you're taking calls, running tests on a laptop, and trying to make sure you're doing the school zone speed limit, it's far from being manageable.

For clarity sake, my results have been the same with TT7 and iGo8 in respect to the lag times.

Personally, I'd like to understand more of the technical differences between the TP and TP2 to get an idea where the problem lies. The whole GPS thing has been my only sour point with the TP2. I really haven't been this satisfied with a phone since my Treo 700.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:08 AM
Linux Administrator
Threadstarter

Well, There is essentially 0 differences between the TP1 and the TP2 other than the case and the display. They have exactly the same hardware as far as I know. So, the gps chip is also identical in each phone. With that being said, there is quite a few differences just in the rom that the TP2 gets when compared to the TP1.

Heres straight from HTC's site:

The Touch Pro:
http://www.htc.com/us/product/touchp...ification.html

Touch Pro 2:
http://www.htc.com/us/product/touchp...ification.html
Old 12-01-2009, 12:13 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Calhoun View Post
Well, I'll preface this by saying that I'm a tech and probably spend 2 hrs/day driving from ticket to ticket. I also like driving and weekend road trips (when I have a completely free weekend, that is). So GPS and navigation is and has been a part of my daily routine for several years. With that being said...

There IS something different between the TP and the TP2 relative to the speed of the GPS updates. On the TP, I experienced no lag when using a bluetooth puck. Once VzW unlocked the GPS, I'd say I experienced about a 1.5 to 2 sec lag with the on-board chip while driving. Very manageable and usable.

With the TP2, my lag has increased to about 6-8 seconds with the on-board chip and about 1.5 when using a puck. Again, while driving. I have tried a variety of things...the advance config tweaks, GPSGate, playing with the registry and have had little luck. The best results I got were from using GPSGate which decreased the lag with the on-board chip to about 2-3 seconds. Doable, yes. But when you're taking calls, running tests on a laptop, and trying to make sure you're doing the school zone speed limit, it's far from being manageable.

For clarity sake, my results have been the same with TT7 and iGo8 in respect to the lag times.

Personally, I'd like to understand more of the technical differences between the TP and TP2 to get an idea where the problem lies. The whole GPS thing has been my only sour point with the TP2. I really haven't been this satisfied with a phone since my Treo 700.
Just because "you ran GPSGate" doesn't mean you had it setup correctly. See the link in my signature on how to set it up. If you used COM4 as input to GPSGate then you didn't set it up correctly. If you used "WM GPS" as input then you did set it up correctly.

Diamond has the same chipset as TP and if anything TP2 does better (as someone said above the TP (or Diamond) was the "Echo" of the TP2 running side by side). And I've had GPS pucks for years. TP2 GPS Works great. Fastest locking that's for sure. I start GPSGate and before iGuidance is up it has a lock.

GPS Updates are normally between 1-2 seconds.

Last edited by mswlogo; 12-01-2009 at 12:17 AM.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:28 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint

rdcrds is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrdcrds is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrdcrds is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrdcrds is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

for the love of GOD there is no "WM GPS" in the input area of gpsgate!!!!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2