View Single Post
Old 12-01-2009, 12:02 AM
Big Calhoun
N00b

Big Calhoun is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Touch Pro GPS lag

Well, I'll preface this by saying that I'm a tech and probably spend 2 hrs/day driving from ticket to ticket. I also like driving and weekend road trips (when I have a completely free weekend, that is). So GPS and navigation is and has been a part of my daily routine for several years. With that being said...

There IS something different between the TP and the TP2 relative to the speed of the GPS updates. On the TP, I experienced no lag when using a bluetooth puck. Once VzW unlocked the GPS, I'd say I experienced about a 1.5 to 2 sec lag with the on-board chip while driving. Very manageable and usable.

With the TP2, my lag has increased to about 6-8 seconds with the on-board chip and about 1.5 when using a puck. Again, while driving. I have tried a variety of things...the advance config tweaks, GPSGate, playing with the registry and have had little luck. The best results I got were from using GPSGate which decreased the lag with the on-board chip to about 2-3 seconds. Doable, yes. But when you're taking calls, running tests on a laptop, and trying to make sure you're doing the school zone speed limit, it's far from being manageable.

For clarity sake, my results have been the same with TT7 and iGo8 in respect to the lag times.

Personally, I'd like to understand more of the technical differences between the TP and TP2 to get an idea where the problem lies. The whole GPS thing has been my only sour point with the TP2. I really haven't been this satisfied with a phone since my Treo 700.