PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2009, 11:29 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: EVO,TP2,Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

searcher61 knows their stuffsearcher61 knows their stuffsearcher61 knows their stuffsearcher61 knows their stuffsearcher61 knows their stuffsearcher61 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Buy son a TP2?

Well, its Christmas time and my son mentioned he wanted a new phone, one like mine (TP2). He will be 18 in about 2 weeks, and we are trying to figure out what to buy for both his birthday and Christmas (my wife wants to give him the phone for Christmas). Anyway, he now has a Diamond (my phone before I got a TP2), and hates the onscreen keyboard. He wants a real keyboard.

He had a Treo prior to this and hated it because it would not fit in his pocket, in fact he lost it a couple of times because he would not use a pouch case (he said it looks dorky).

How many people here put their TP2 in their pockets? Are you concerned about breaking the screen in your pocket? I don't want to spend that much on a phone and have him break it.

Also, if not a TP2 then what?.. I am currently with Sprint.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:33 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic, HTC TP2
Carrier: Sprint - SERO Premium

Viper786 is keeping up the good workViper786 is keeping up the good work
Re: Buy son a TP2?

I don't use a pouch/holster for my TP2 and keep it in my pocket. I am not concerned about breaking/scratching the screen because I always put my phone in my left pocket with the screen facing my leg. I never put anything else in that pocket. My car keys and coins go in my right pocket.

I would say get him a TP2!

Oh, and if you're concerned about him breaking/losing it, you may want to consider insurance
Old 12-07-2009, 11:36 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4g

dakidobf is keeping up the good workdakidobf is keeping up the good work

I keep my TP2 in my pocket sometimes and I'm not overly concerned about the screen breaking. Its a bit bulky though so I don't know how comfy it would be for him depending on how loose he wears his pants. lol. He wouldn't be interested in an Instinct or something similiar?

Geez, when I was 18 I couldn't care less about a ppc, how times have changed.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:40 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic, HTC TP2
Carrier: Sprint - SERO Premium

Viper786 is keeping up the good workViper786 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakidobf View Post
Geez, when I was 18 I couldn't care less about a ppc, how times have changed.
I got my first pda phone in 2007 (I was 20 at the time) and now there's no way im going back to a "dumb phone".

If your son likes the features of his diamond (besides the on-screen keyboard), im sure he'll love the TP2
Old 12-07-2009, 11:41 AM
truth mirror
Pocket PC: N Deuce

w7excursion knows their stuffw7excursion knows their stuffw7excursion knows their stuffw7excursion knows their stuffw7excursion knows their stuffw7excursion knows their stuffw7excursion knows their stuffw7excursion knows their stuff

I would get him a samsung exclaim due to him losing the treo before. And add insurance.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:44 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

pyro254750 knows their stuffpyro254750 knows their stuffpyro254750 knows their stuffpyro254750 knows their stuffpyro254750 knows their stuffpyro254750 knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to pyro254750 Send a message via MSN to pyro254750

Ive been quite surprised with the build quality of the TP2. Seems to be a very well built device, and IMO if he is rough enough on it to break it in his pocket, then hes rough enough to break it in a holster. Get him the TP2, its stable enough out of the box with the factory os that it doesnt need to be tweaked to be a damn good phone.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:48 AM
Old Dirty Jamaican
Pocket PC: Motorola Photon

Wesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributions

I have been carring mine in my pocket since day one. I have never had good luck carring phones on the hip. I can't tell you how many hip clips I have broken. when I do carry it in the pocket I do not have anything else in that pocket, and I always face the screen in to the leg. just my 2 cents though.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:50 AM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Pro 1&2, Evo, PhotonQ

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

well, you'd be getting off light. my xmas bday and graduation present was a pc. dad spent over 2k on a gateway that had less power than the diamond. p2@450mhz.

oh, yea, most of my pants have the leg pocket, even some dress slacks.

Last edited by shaggylive; 12-07-2009 at 11:53 AM.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:53 AM
Gettin' Freaky With It
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S5/iPad Air 2
Carrier: Big Red

rainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to rainfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper786 View Post
I don't use a pouch/holster for my TP2 and keep it in my pocket. I am not concerned about breaking/scratching the screen because I always put my phone in my left pocket with the screen facing my leg. I never put anything else in that pocket. My car keys and coins go in my right pocket.

I would say get him a TP2!

Oh, and if you're concerned about him breaking/losing it, you may want to consider insurance
WTH? How did you know exactly what I was going to say?

Anyway, the phone is a little big for the pocket of my dress pants but I still go with the pocket and when I am in jeans there is no issue at all. I have two other employees at my office that use the TP2 and we all keep it in our pocket and have no problems.

And I love hand-me-downs, too! My wife has my old TP, my 18 year old daughter has a Blackberry Curve (my wife's old one), my 17 year old son has another TP (from my office) and my 10 year old daughter has a Samsung Ace (again, from my office).
Old 12-07-2009, 11:53 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Epic 4g

JokeZony0u knows their stuffJokeZony0u knows their stuffJokeZony0u knows their stuffJokeZony0u knows their stuffJokeZony0u knows their stuffJokeZony0u knows their stuffJokeZony0u knows their stuff

Hm, the TP2 isn't THAT big if you really come to think of it and pretty much matches to an iPhone or iPod touch size (in terms of length).

If he has a Diamond now, I couldn't imagine any other phone out there that does keyboard and screen size/quality as good as the TP2 does right now.

For me, I started carrying a cellphone since junior high, had the motorola v60 (it was an amazing phone at the time!!), moved on to Sidekicks, and when I was 18 I got a Mogul then Touch Pro, and now the Touch Pro 2.

Definitely consider getting him insurance if you think he'll break it, for an extra 7 bucks a month, you're covered for loss, breaks, and whatever else you can think of. It's really handy

To go off topic- Interesting phenomenon- I used rubbing alcohol on my Sprint TP2's screen protector yesterday for some reason, it's not fingerprint prone as much as it used to be. Either that or I've had real clean hands for awhile (I do wash my hands often, working in the hospital and all)

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2