PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2009, 10:21 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Touch Pro (Previously Diamond, Touch, 6800, 6700, Dell Axims, Various iPaqs and Philips Nino)
Carrier: Sprint

k000 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulark000 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulark000 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulark000 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Too Many Unlockers - where do I start and what do/don't I need ?

I am expecting to get my new TP2 this weekend and was doing a bit of homework to be ready to start flashing to chef's ROMs as well as getting the SIM truely unlocked.. not that I am going to go anywhere leavig Sprint.. I love Spring

Honestly inspite of excellant posts by cmonex and gang I have ended up being a bit confused on what all do I need to unlock? In TP world there was one single Sprint Unlocker which got me all the way through and set for flashing.

I understand that there are two separate parts - one to unlock the ROM for flashing and the other one to unlock SIM for US carriers (sounds like SIM works on international carriers without any issues ??), but am a bit confused as tow what all do I need, i.e., what are SIM unlocked ? CID unlock ? Security Unlock ? And what is the sequence we need to follow ?

Any help would be appreciated..
Old 11-25-2009, 10:42 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint SERO

itbmd is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to itbmd
Re: Too Many Unlockers - where do I start and what do/don't I need ?

I haven't done the SIM unlock, because I don't need it. In regards to unlocking for ROM flashing, this thread has all the information you need. Since you are on Sprint like me; you need this CDMA unlocker. The process is very straightforward. Just follow the instructions. Good luck.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=93252
Old 11-25-2009, 10:49 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: VZW

twolostminds is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by k000 View Post
I am expecting to get my new TP2 this weekend and was doing a bit of homework to be ready to start flashing to chef's ROMs as well as getting the SIM truely unlocked.. not that I am going to go anywhere leavig Sprint.. I love Spring

Honestly inspite of excellant posts by cmonex and gang I have ended up being a bit confused on what all do I need to unlock? In TP world there was one single Sprint Unlocker which got me all the way through and set for flashing.

I understand that there are two separate parts - one to unlock the ROM for flashing and the other one to unlock SIM for US carriers (sounds like SIM works on international carriers without any issues ??), but am a bit confused as tow what all do I need, i.e., what are SIM unlocked ? CID unlock ? Security Unlock ? And what is the sequence we need to follow ?

Any help would be appreciated..
HardSPL - Unlocks your device so you can flash ROM's.
SIM/Security Unlockers - Allows you to flash different Radio's and use other carriers SIM's in your phone.

Quote:
sounds like SIM works on international carriers without any issues ??
Yes, the phone as it comes stock will work internationally with any carrier that has an agreement with your carrier. However, if you want to save some money and be able to flash your radio or use different carriers SIM cards while traveling you will want to get the SIM/Security unlocker.

If, like me, you just want better performance out of your phone all you need is the HardSPL to be able to flash different ROM's you find on the forum or create.

Hope that helps
WinMo 6.5 MightyROM RhodiumW
Addicted to MightyROM & Coffee
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:08 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Touch Pro (Previously Diamond, Touch, 6800, 6700, Dell Axims, Various iPaqs and Philips Nino)
Threadstarter

k000 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulark000 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulark000 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulark000 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by itbmd View Post
I haven't done the SIM unlock, because I don't need it. In regards to unlocking for ROM flashing, this thread has all the information you need. Since you are on Sprint like me; you need this CDMA unlocker. The process is very straightforward. Just follow the instructions. Good luck.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=93252
Thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by twolostminds View Post
HardSPL - Unlocks your device so you can flash ROM's.
SIM/Security Unlockers - Allows you to flash different Radio's and use other carriers SIM's in your phone.

Yes, the phone as it comes stock will work internationally with any carrier that has an agreement with your carrier. However, if you want to save some money and be able to flash your radio or use different carriers SIM cards while traveling you will want to get the SIM/Security unlocker.

If, like me, you just want better performance out of your phone all you need is the HardSPL to be able to flash different ROM's you find on the forum or create.

Hope that helps
Thank you...

I have a few more questions...

What is the difference between this thread "Sprint Unlocker - RhodiumW WU Radio Unlocked for US Networks " http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=93865

and this one "RhodiumW/Sprint/Verizon/Telus Touch Pro 2 CID/Security/SIM Unlocker " http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=93867

Also... which ROMS should I look for..

which have 'W' in them or 'WU' in them ?

I think I am there... almost
Old 11-25-2009, 12:23 PM
Almost a VIP
Threadstarter

Mods - it would have been nice to keep a palceholder in the upgrades forum. This sis completely related to that forum...
Old 11-25-2009, 01:20 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: HTC Desire
Carrier: Telus Mobility

MightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
Mods - it would have been nice to keep a palceholder in the upgrades forum. This sis completely related to that forum...
Upgrades forum is for content only, You know that...

Q/A's are not permitted in a subforum which is intended for roms/kitchens/unlockers/radios, etc.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:36 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint SERO

itbmd is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to itbmd

Quote:
Thanks...

Thank you...

I have a few more questions...

What is the difference between this thread "Sprint Unlocker - RhodiumW WU Radio Unlocked for US Networks " http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=93865

and this one "RhodiumW/Sprint/Verizon/Telus Touch Pro 2 CID/Security/SIM Unlocker " http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=93867

Also... which ROMS should I look for..

which have 'W' in them or 'WU' in them ?

I think I am there... almost
Read post # 2 from this thread you linked about to explain the category differences.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=93865

Please keep in mind ONLY the HSPL is needed to flash cooked ROM's. I'm not sure what the W and WU difference is; maybe someone else can answer that.
Old 11-26-2009, 06:41 PM
Almost a VIP
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMike View Post
Upgrades forum is for content only, You know that...

Q/A's are not permitted in a subforum which is intended for roms/kitchens/unlockers/radios, etc.
Ok Boss .... you are the boss...
Old 11-26-2009, 08:27 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: mogul
Carrier: sprint

juicychus is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by twolostminds View Post

Hope that helps
i thought the sprint tp2 already came "unlocked" for international sim cards? i'm looking into buying it because i might move outside the US. would i have to unlock it to use a sim card from another country?
Old 11-26-2009, 08:35 PM
Almost a VIP
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by itbmd View Post
Read post # 2 from this thread you linked about to explain the category differences.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=93865

Please keep in mind ONLY the HSPL is needed to flash cooked ROM's. I'm not sure what the W and WU difference is; maybe someone else can answer that.
Thanks

Also looks like the quoted thread does the Hard SPL as well... as well as Security / SIm unlock

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2