PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2009, 11:04 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC TOUCH PRO
Carrier: SPRINT

kronik420 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Automatically Put In Area Code

This problem is driving me crazy. With the automatically put in area code when you dial. I have a htc touch pro 2. Lets say I have a contact there phone number is (352) 636-1234 that is for john well when I call john I'm not going to put in the area code because it is a local call I'm going to put in 636-1234 it shows up on the phone as unknown caller. how can I fix that where what ever number I dial as long as its a local number for instance my area code is 352 if I dial 636-1234 I want it to put in the area code for me. If this has been asked before just point me in the right direction Thank you
Old 11-24-2009, 12:06 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

bluedeer is keeping up the good workbluedeer is keeping up the good work
Re: Automatically Put In Area Code

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronik420 View Post
This problem is driving me crazy. With the automatically put in area code when you dial. I have a htc touch pro 2. Lets say I have a contact there phone number is (352) 636-1234 that is for john well when I call john I'm not going to put in the area code because it is a local call I'm going to put in 636-1234 it shows up on the phone as unknown caller. how can I fix that where what ever number I dial as long as its a local number for instance my area code is 352 if I dial 636-1234 I want it to put in the area code for me. If this has been asked before just point me in the right direction Thank you
You should get used to putting the area code in, even with 'local' calls. A lot of cities use multiple area codes now and they sometime change from one to another and you may not realize when they do. With a landline at least you may be lucky enough that your phone is in a given 'zone' that entering area code is unnecessay, but when it comes to cellphones, there is no guarantee at all that the area code you are actually calling is the one you are expecting. A lot of the time, landlines assume you are calling in whatever area code you are physically in, but if you are in an area where they overlap, you might end up accidentally dialing a wrong number! Just those three numbers in the front can make all the difference in the world of calling your best friend or your worst enemy. Seven digit numbers was a luxury we enjoyed when the world was smaller, but as more and more people get phones and phone numbers and wireless devices...well, there's only so many numbers to go around.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:14 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint Sero Premium 500 Premier Gold!

kirstein is halfway to VIP status based on repkirstein is halfway to VIP status based on repkirstein is halfway to VIP status based on repkirstein is halfway to VIP status based on repkirstein is halfway to VIP status based on repkirstein is halfway to VIP status based on repkirstein is halfway to VIP status based on repkirstein is halfway to VIP status based on repkirstein is halfway to VIP status based on repkirstein is halfway to VIP status based on repkirstein is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I didn't know you could even make a call using 7 digits any more. Here in Colorado we have required 10 digit dialing (even for landlines) for many years.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:52 PM
SUPER GADGET ADDICT!!!
Pocket PC: Samsung GS2 Epic 4G Touch
Carrier: Sprint

japper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIPjapper88 is a VIP

Yea in New York City they're like that too (although I always through it was because New York City had 5 different area codes: 212, 718, 917, 646, 347)

Also, I think cell phones require the area codes because they're not tied to one specific region, meaning they can ping off different cell towers, which determine your location not your phone's number. Where as caller ID uses the area code from your number to give locations.

Please remember to THANK me if I helped you!
Old 11-24-2009, 01:00 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC TOUCH PRO
Carrier: SPRINT
Threadstarter

kronik420 is just getting started

hmm yeah here in florida if you dial a 7 digit code it will go through on the cellphone but if you call it on a land line it will it is not nesscary to dial the area code because it is a local call. So whenever you guys dial a phone number you always dial the area code and phone number even if its local. thats going to take some getting used to.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:04 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: HTC Desire
Carrier: Telus

Mr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

the HTC Caller ID works from area code.

i suggest you start using it.

If I have helped you, you like my work, want to get me a coffee or you feel like you wish to help me get my next device.

feel free to its appreciated, but not required!

Thanks To everyone who donated!
Old 02-18-2010, 12:54 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: US Cellular

Undertaker is a n00b

Is this still the case that you must dial the area code in order for the phone to recognize your contacts? I just received my TP2 to replace my TP. With the TP it recognized my contacts with just 7 digit dialing. It is not required 10 digit dialing in my area and is very annoying for it not recognize contacts.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:14 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Desire
Carrier: USCC

Oditius is becoming a PPCGeeks regularOditius is becoming a PPCGeeks regularOditius is becoming a PPCGeeks regularOditius is becoming a PPCGeeks regularOditius is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Until recently Chicago didn't have to dial all 10 either. But they added a new area code and now we do. I no longer live in the city, but still have my 773 area code. But those in the outlying areas can dial in their own area code using just 7 digits. I know the TP set the area code, but I just deleted it. I don't know about the TP2, because it is no longer and option. All numbers I dial must be 10.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2