PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2009, 03:18 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: many
Carrier: Many
Threadstarter

matcat is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Sprint TP2 and Sim Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by electronicrice View Post
"I am trying to figure out how to sim unlock without paying money to someone who as undoubtedly already received much moola for his unlock which should be free and public domain, however for some the alimighty $ is more important, anyway... "

I don't see how that can be taken any other way.
Take it however you wish, I really don't care, I just care about figuring it out. How far do you think homebrew roms would of come if not for free and open source information on how to do so, so someone could program the tools to do it?
Old 11-22-2009, 03:21 AM
Android Groupie
Pocket PC: Nexus One & EVO
Carrier: T-Mobile & Sprint

electronicrice is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelectronicrice is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelectronicrice is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelectronicrice is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelectronicrice is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelectronicrice is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelectronicrice is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelectronicrice is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelectronicrice is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelectronicrice is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelectronicrice is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to electronicrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by matcat View Post
Take it however you wish, I really don't care, I just care about figuring it out. How far do you think homebrew roms would of come if not for free and open source information on how to do so, so someone could program the tools to do it?
Have fun.
Old 11-22-2009, 04:08 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Evo3D,Evo 4g,Rhodium,BBTour,Raphael,800W,Titan
Carrier: sprint 15 yrs

unsane is becoming a great contributor

I am glad you have a "box of these things" because you will undoubtably need every last one of them....if you do not know what you are doing you will have a box of bricks when you are done, pay the $25 duckets and get over it.....
Old 11-22-2009, 09:57 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2 Customized
Carrier: SPRINT

dallastx is keeping up the good workdallastx is keeping up the good workdallastx is keeping up the good work

I wish you luck, and hope you succeed. If you think you can do it, go for it don't let anyone discourage you.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:27 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 & MS 3.5
Carrier: Sprint

SKS06460 is keeping up the good workSKS06460 is keeping up the good work

Am I the only one who really enjoys this site ?

It's like watching a train wreck.

Or my ex-wife's retarded family.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:58 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

karate134 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkarate134 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkarate134 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkarate134 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkarate134 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

It's sad. Why does everyone expect everything for free?
I know, it's the limewire, torrent, old-school-napster generation. The thing is, people work hard to make their product.
If someone you don't know asked you to do something, let's say some yard work or whatever, would you do it for free?
Well, then why do you expect someone else to do work for you for free? (If you said you would do it for free, then come over... leaves need to be raked).

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Random Phones>>Treo 800w>>Touch Pro>>Touch Pro 2
Old 11-23-2009, 12:42 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: many
Carrier: Many
Threadstarter

matcat is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by karate134 View Post
It's sad. Why does everyone expect everything for free?
I know, it's the limewire, torrent, old-school-napster generation. The thing is, people work hard to make their product.
If someone you don't know asked you to do something, let's say some yard work or whatever, would you do it for free?
Well, then why do you expect someone else to do work for you for free? (If you said you would do it for free, then come over... leaves need to be raked).
Funny stuff, just thought you would like to know I am an accomplished programmer, I have code spread all over the place, could very well be code I have written on your PC or on a few websites you have visited. I know what it is like to get paid for my work, but some concepts go beyond that.

Funny how this community of phone hackers comes together to unlock something that corporate greed put there, so they can obtain as much market share as possible, and that very community supports people who charge for the means to unlock them, what irony.

If it was true donationware, that would be great, put a GPL license on it, and take donations, but to charge a minimum and keep is closed source, tsk tsk.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:01 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Sprint EVO
Carrier: EPRP 500

stevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Well guys the politics aside, to my understanding the reason for Sprint's TP2 have the MCC 310 and 311 (US-based GSM networks) blocked is pretty much a mixture of FCC decision and carrier's decision.

Sprint figured (they might have ppl in this forum too, lurking around) out that instead of putting on a subsidy (SIM lock) on a phone, which in theory does has the ability of not have the end-users utilizing non-carrier approved SIMs such as VZW and Telus is doing. However that's pretty much a gray area if you know what I mean (users can call in themselves to ask for a subsidy unlock).

So Sprint went out and actually modified their radio ROM. I remember someone has posted a technical chart regarding how that selection works. But long story short, the phone checks for subsidy lock first, if it does not exist then it checks the phone/carrier's ID, if it's a Sprint then if the MCC are 310/311 then it refuses to work. I believe it's a HTC/Sprint combined effort to outsmart us "geeks" or, above-average consumers.

As for a work-around, the only way to do with Sprint is flash a patched radio. However to my understanding in order to flash a GSM radio (even when it's part of a combo radio such as in our case,) the phone must be "security & CID unlocked". I was confused about this until I realized that it is NOT the same thing as HardSPL unlocked. I believe there is more in the Upgrades section regarding the differences between HardSPL and CID/Security unlock.

As for why it's not free? Well money aside, making a HardSPL or a security/CID unlocker does take more than making a ROM: Reverse engineering and compiling. Sometimes when there are no way out of it (as the phone simply won't take any subsidy unlock codes at ALL or no way to unlock it by end-users), a little appreciation is well, appreciated if you know what I mean.

Then again, I don't think any of the CDMA providers would want their phone end up being used on competitor networks, nor it would support US-based 3G bands.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:10 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: HTC Desire
Carrier: Telus

Mr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by matcat View Post
I never belittled them, just said I believe it is wrong to rake in a bunch of dough over something they claim to be 'donationware'.

I beg to differ that they are the only 2 in the world, there are atleast 3 other sites out there I have found that say they can sim unlock the TP2, I imagine the original developers of the radio firmware could do it, and I imagine quite a few others out there can and have done it, and also keep it a secret.

I usually work on CDMA stuff, GSM is fairly new to me, but I will figure it out.
any site can sim unlock, i will pay for your Radio security and Special patched radio to unlock the US GSM networks on your sprint tp2 if u can find it anywhere els... oh thats right you cant. there is a huge difference between a simple sim unlock in this case and a Network unlock. which is what you need.

Cmonex and Olipro, spent a load of time patching the radio for the Sprint TP2 as it was locked out of North American carriers, so yah that site that can sim unlock you for 5 bucks less, will NOT unlock the radio lock for the US GSM networks. It will also not security unlock you and super CID you device so you can flash a patched radio for this.

Normally i don't get involved in ignorant banter in regards to this subject but the fact that your uninformed and basing your whole rant on this is irritating.

So you know what go to ebay buy the cheapest sim unlock you can find and after you do it and pop that sim in to find.... it does not work... come back and say so we can say "I told you so."

As for them asking for a donation for this, i see no problem, they are asking for one like any other sim unlock site except with this you get so much more and you will be able to use your US sim at the end of the day.

Thread Closed.

If I have helped you, you like my work, want to get me a coffee or you feel like you wish to help me get my next device.

feel free to its appreciated, but not required!

Thanks To everyone who donated!
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2