PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2009, 03:00 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

Gorby is becoming a PPCGeeks regularGorby is becoming a PPCGeeks regularGorby is becoming a PPCGeeks regularGorby is becoming a PPCGeeks regularGorby is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Questions to developers - accessing HTC sensors?

Any of the developers here can point me to some good material on accessing TP2 sensors such as proximity, light, G-sensor, etc? I'd like to try a couple of utilities but can't find any documentation on API or SDK for those.

Thnx
Old 11-06-2009, 03:17 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Epic 4G

MrNybble is just getting started
Re: Questions to developers - accessing HTC sensors?

HTC is really closed when it comes to their API set. Other companies are much more forthcoming. There is no unified sensor SDK in the .NET CF framework. I know what you mean, it would be fun to mess with the proxmity sensor and light sensor. There are some cool apps you could write...hehe. If you ever find anything let us all know.

See: http://wmpoweruser.com/?p=3355

If I helped, Don't forget to hit Thanks
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:27 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Gorby is becoming a PPCGeeks regularGorby is becoming a PPCGeeks regularGorby is becoming a PPCGeeks regularGorby is becoming a PPCGeeks regularGorby is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Thanks for the input and interesting link. I did not know they are so shut. Seems kinda dumb I guess since developing good apps for any platform enhances the platform.

There has to be a way somehow though since I have seen some custom apps that use the sensors - PocketShield being one of them.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:53 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Evo 3D

gutrrob knows their stuffgutrrob knows their stuffgutrrob knows their stuffgutrrob knows their stuffgutrrob knows their stuffgutrrob knows their stuff

I would like a app that uses the light/prox. senser to know your phone is in a holster/pocket and keep the screen off no matter what. I hate when my phones in my holster and the screen turns on because of lost signal.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:16 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Epic 4G

MrNybble is just getting started

There is nothing keeping us from using the API set in the OEM DLL's We just need to know the function names to create the object and/or use the callback. We'll have to see what we can find out. I'm sure someone has some of this info somewhere. If not maybe we can spy a bit.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:43 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Good news! Jim (creator of the fantastic PocketShield and Volumex applications) pointed me in the right direction. The reversed engineered APIs that are already wrapped and ready to use in Visual Studio with C# examples are publicly available here:

http://sensorapi.codeplex.com/

They even have sample code there. Just download the solution, compile in VS, drop the exes and dlls on the PT2 and the samples work great! The NavSensor does not work since it is designed for the round center button that TP1 had for example; but G-sensor, light sensor, and stilus out APIs work great. I don't think there is anything for the proximity sensor or at least I couldn't find anything else.

There are more samples/discussions on xda and on http://www.basic4ppc.com/forum/index.php sites.

Cheers.

EDIT: Oh, and as one example of using a G-sensor API - this lightsaber application is hilarious and runs great on TP2!

Last edited by Gorby; 11-07-2009 at 11:49 AM.
This post has been thanked 2 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2