PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2009, 12:47 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: sprint

hperry is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Data Usage Estimate Inaccurate for TP2?

Ok, so I ordered the TP2 the day it was released in early september. Since then, mu data usage numbers on the sprint website have been out of control. There is absolutely no way I am using the data they claim I am. I migrated from a TP and I really don't use the TP2 any differently (email, a rare 10 min tether session, light web, no TV, no music streaming). My last full TP bill (in august) said 46MB. I got the TP2 in the middle of my cycle and that bill said 3GB. My first full month with the TP2 was reported at 8GB (!). There is simply no way I am using all this data! Anyone else notice this? Now I'm worried sprint is going to suspend my account. My cycle ends on the 12th and I'm already up to 8GB again this month. What gives!

I plan to download a data usage logging tool to try to figure this out. Are there any that tell you what program is causing the data usage? I should mention I run stock ROM and have only installed some tweaks and the cleanup cab.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:27 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Samsung Droid Charge
Carrier: Verizon

betalix is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to betalix Send a message via MSN to betalix Send a message via Yahoo to betalix
Re: Data Usage Estimate Inaccurate for TP2?

After I read your post I went and checked my usage..and its definitely up with my first full month with the TP2 (vs my dearly departed Apache). But I am safe in attributing it to two reasons:

1. I am doing a lot of tethering at work since my corporate provided internet conenction is heavily logged and restricted.

-and-

2. I just really like using this phone so much more than the Apache that I find I am always doing 'stuff' on it that requires the data connection.

But I must say that even with all the tethering and other work, my usage for the month of October was just 2GB. I think I would have to really work to get to the 8GB you have supposedly consumed.

S--
Old 11-06-2009, 01:45 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: SGS III
Carrier: Sprint

fishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the community

Wow, I've been streaming music here and there and very limited tethering, along with downloading some files, etc, and I'm just over 1GB, nowhere near 8 GBs!
Old 11-06-2009, 01:45 PM
Serving the Metro DC Area
Pocket PC: Thunderbolt,9530 (Blackberry)
Carrier: Verizon, Sprint

Adrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via Yahoo to Adrianh85 Send a message via Skype™ to Adrianh85

if u have a unlitimed data plan dont worry 8gb isnt alot of data!! u should be fine check out my sig and u will understand what i mean

Old 11-06-2009, 02:22 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc touch pro 2

sclog2003 is a n00b

Like OP, my TP2 data usage also went from 50Mb to 2 gig. No tethering, just emails and 5 to 10 min internet usage daily and i was doing the same thing with my TP.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:37 PM
Serving the Metro DC Area
Pocket PC: Thunderbolt,9530 (Blackberry)
Carrier: Verizon, Sprint

Adrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via Yahoo to Adrianh85 Send a message via Skype™ to Adrianh85

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclog2003 View Post
Like OP, my TP2 data usage also went from 50Mb to 2 gig. No tethering, just emails and 5 to 10 min internet usage daily and i was doing the same thing with my TP.
opera or ie what was u using for ur browser? do u use weather clock? any push email?i ask about weather clock because it uses agps and gps. agps is a data connection for location that the phone uses until it gets a gps sat lock
Old 11-06-2009, 02:44 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Arrive

Aleki is keeping up the good workAleki is keeping up the good workAleki is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

my usage is up too, but its mainly to do with the 3.5mm jack and my car
Old 11-06-2009, 03:50 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC TP2 (stock 6.5)

goobergob is just getting started

my data usage is up too (from Mogul to TP2) but nothing drastic like 8gb. From 600mb to now around 1gb per month.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:49 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Threadstarter

hperry is just getting started

thanks for all the feedback. i installed spb wireless monitor and plan to get to the bottom of this. i do use google maps with gps maybe 2-4 hours per week. but that can't be causing this. perhaps leaving google maps open in the background? i'll find out soon enough...

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2