PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2009, 12:02 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint SERO

kilmarac is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
<SPRINT> SIM Card question

I did some searches and didnt find an answer so I wanted to ask.

Im familiar with SIM Cards in phones for use in keeping your Subscriber info intact. I.e. Pull the sim card out and slide it into another phone and you can use that phone as your own. Useful for when you do upgrades.

So now the question is. Is this how sprint is using it? Is the sprint SIM already unlocked or do I need to get OliPro's unlocker? Why would I want it unlocked? What are the benefits of this?

Do I need to unlock it to travel internationally (im planning a trip to japan and would like to use my TP2 there)

I guess in the long run, aside from the basic purposes of a SIM Card, Im not familiar with how they are in relation to sprint as I have never had a sim card before.

If there is anything else you can think of that would be useful about it, by all means please add that. Heck, maybe we can make a sticky "All About Sim Cards" LOL

Thanks!
Old 10-31-2009, 01:18 AM
Serving the Metro DC Area
Pocket PC: Thunderbolt,9530 (Blackberry)
Carrier: Verizon, Sprint

Adrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via Yahoo to Adrianh85 Send a message via Skype™ to Adrianh85
Talking Re: <SPRINT> SIM Card question

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilmarac View Post
I did some searches and didnt find an answer so I wanted to ask.

Im familiar with SIM Cards in phones for use in keeping your Subscriber info intact. I.e. Pull the sim card out and slide it into another phone and you can use that phone as your own. Useful for when you do upgrades.

So now the question is. Is this how sprint is using it? Is the sprint SIM already unlocked or do I need to get OliPro's unlocker? Why would I want it unlocked? What are the benefits of this?

Do I need to unlock it to travel internationally (im planning a trip to japan and would like to use my TP2 there)

I guess in the long run, aside from the basic purposes of a SIM Card, Im not familiar with how they are in relation to sprint as I have never had a sim card before.

If there is anything else you can think of that would be useful about it, by all means please add that. Heck, maybe we can make a sticky "All About Sim Cards" LOL

Thanks!
for the sprint verizon u do not need the sim unlocker for international travel! u only need it if u plan on using domestic carriers(us gsm)

Verizon on the other hand needs the sim unlocker unless they got it for free from verizon like myself!!

This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 10-31-2009, 01:20 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Re: <SPRINT> SIM Card question

If I dont like sprints prices then, I would need it to say, rent a sim card there and use it, correct?
Old 10-31-2009, 03:13 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: TP2, LG Optimus S and EVO 4G LTE
Carrier: @SPRINT.COM

mikejones13 is halfway to VIP status based on repmikejones13 is halfway to VIP status based on repmikejones13 is halfway to VIP status based on repmikejones13 is halfway to VIP status based on repmikejones13 is halfway to VIP status based on repmikejones13 is halfway to VIP status based on repmikejones13 is halfway to VIP status based on repmikejones13 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Ya after you SIM unlock you phone

posted in irc but maybe others can use it.....http://www.myworldphone.com/storeite...cc=prepaid-sim
your mumma's wear dirty g-strings to work, nuketown is buckin hell sick, show some love you hamburger's. double up bubble up. peace out. p.s nuketown is the shiznit, like your mumma's beef strogganoff.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 10-31-2009, 03:17 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Gotcha, ok. Makes sense now.
Old 10-31-2009, 03:18 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Mogul
Carrier: Sprint

cj10488 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcj10488 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcj10488 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcj10488 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

You do not need to unlock your phone. Sprint is Sim-unlocked. meaning any sim will work with the phone. Sprint is Radio Locked to restrict use of the US based GSM towers. Since you are going to Japan then you can pick up a card there or use the Sprint service... You only need to Sim-unlock the Sprint phone if you want to unlock the radio for use on the US based GSM towers with a US GSM carrier.

Hope this sheds some light.

James
Old 10-31-2009, 03:23 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Ok, just make sure I have this straight.

Sprint TP2 works in other countries (specifically Japan)
Sprint TP2 is unlocked as far as using another countries SIM card. So I dont *need* to buy the OliPro Simcard unlocker.

So Essentially i am good to go without having to change anything.

So this brings another question... Is there an advantage to unlocking the US GSM radio?
Old 10-31-2009, 03:32 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: TP2, LG Optimus S and EVO 4G LTE
Carrier: @SPRINT.COM

mikejones13 is halfway to VIP status based on repmikejones13 is halfway to VIP status based on repmikejones13 is halfway to VIP status based on repmikejones13 is halfway to VIP status based on repmikejones13 is halfway to VIP status based on repmikejones13 is halfway to VIP status based on repmikejones13 is halfway to VIP status based on repmikejones13 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

You can always buy a pre-paid sim card and use U.S. GSM network, but you have you buy one or have a service with one.
Old 10-31-2009, 03:33 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Mogul
Carrier: Sprint

cj10488 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcj10488 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcj10488 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcj10488 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

From my understanding This is true. It will work in another country with their sim card. There was another post on here that proved that it worked in no US countries.

As far as the benifits for being Sim Unlocked for sprint is you can use the Unlocked radio where you can lets say put in a T-Mobile sim or At&T sim and use the US towers. Why you would want to do this not a reason at this time that I can think of except Prepaid sims here in the US just in case you cancel your account forget your bill ect you can buy a prepaid sim and use it. Me personally I dont plan on travelling out of the country any time soon. Wont ever switch to or use GSM towers. IMO there really is no point.

James
Old 10-31-2009, 03:35 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejones13 View Post
You can always buy a pre-paid sim card and use U.S. GSM network, but you have you buy one or have a service with one.
Why would I want to do that, or are saying that for japan. Sorry if I seem like a noob. Well.. I guess I am a noob as far as GSM and international stuff goes. First time ive had a phone that would do it, and first time Im traveling internationally.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

Tags
sprint sim card